Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, December 19, 2011

Credibility in Question

It has been my honor, pleasure, and with great blessings to have been on this journey with you.  I know it's not over yet, but (like you) have noticed that the end of our list of readings posted on the blog site is now completed.  I have enjoyed learning from God's word - both the history of so many of our brothers and sisters from the past as well as learning to let God's word wash over-and-over me (cleaning my "loosely woven basket").  The richness of the Israelite history and the desire for God to know each of us intimately has become much more clear to me.

We were out of town this weekend visiting my in-laws and went to church with them yesterday.  The worship service included many Christmas carols, including one that I don't normally think of as a Christmas carol.  But, as we were singing these words, my heart was overflowing and I was thinking of you all and this journey.  Through our study of God's Word, the words of this hymn have much more meaning to me.  I hope you'll listen to it and enjoy it with me as we celebrate Christmas and our long-expected Jesus.

Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus  

Come, thou long expected Jesus,
born to set thy people free;
from our fears and sins release us,
let us find our rest in thee.
Israel's strength and consolation,
hope of all the earth thou art;
dear desire of every nation,
joy of every longing heart.

Born thy people to deliver,
born a child and yet a King,
born to reign in us forever,
now thy gracious kingdom bring.
By thine own eternal spirit
rule in all our hearts alone;
by thine all sufficient merit,
raise us to thy glorious throne.

As I started reading the 2 Corinthians today, I was struck by the turmoil that was going on in Paul's life. What struck me most was that in the midst of all of his life-threatening trials, he was also having to defend the fact that his words and teachings were genuine.  I don't know about you guys, but the worst type of personal assault to me is when someone questions my credibility and integrity.  Paul's travel plans had changed and because of that some of his opponents took the opportunity to try to persuade the believers in Corinth that Paul was not credible.  I can sense Paul's frustration as he spent quite a good amount of time and ink explaining himself.  Paul goes into many explanations, but I think it boils down to this:

"Our conscience testifies 
that we have conducted ourselves in the world, 
and especially in our relations with you, 
in the holiness and sincerity that are from God.  
We have done so not according to the worldly wisdom 
but according to God's grace."
~2 Corinthians 1:12

Paul and his travel companions had clear consciences and understood the difference between God's wisdom and worldly wisdom.  How wonderful is a clear conscience!!!!  We all know what that feels like and on the contrary, also know what it feels like for our conscience to bother us... restless sleep, distraction, simply not being at peace.

After defending his travel plans (seems so petty, doesn't it?), Paul goes on to further instruct and encourage the Corinthians (and us!) with some wonderful teachings:

  • Reaffirm your love for the sinner (2:7-8)  I have to admit, this can be a hard one for me.  Compassion is key here as we are to forgive and comfort so that "he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow."  Paul specifically speaks to Satan using this area to scheme among us.  That's a strong warning!
  • God has given us His Spirit and we are ministers of God - our competence, confidence, and hope comes from God who is the Spirit.  Through Christ, there is new life (3:6), surpassing glory (3:10), and freedom (3:17).
  • Do not lose heart.  Although we are under physical duress, we are being transformed (3:18) and renewed (4:16).

These words were written for the church of Corinth as they were struggling with their purpose as Christians, living in an unmoral society, hearing conflicting messages (Paul's vs. his opponents), and certainty of the gospel message.  Not so different from us today.  We are encouraged to keep perspective that eternity is much more significant than problems of this world.  Much easier said than remembered and applied sometimes, but worth the effort and blessings!

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, 
but on what is unseen.  
For what is seen is temporary, 
but what is unseen is eternal."
~2 Corinthians 4:18

3 comments:

  1. Terry - thanks for the link to that video/song! I really enjoyed that and really needed to hear that this morning! It really never ceases to amaze me how there is "nothing new under the sun". These same issues they were fighting against is EXACTLY what we are fighting against today. Such petty stuff (as you said) that has absolutely NO significance when looked at in the light of eternity. And I absolutely LOVE the verse that you closed with today...so very powerful! WONDERFUL post Terry! And I feel the same exact way as you do about the journey we have taken together through the Bible this year. I know I sound like a broken record, but this journey has changed my life for ALL eternity and I thank all of you for that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry thank you for your post today and for sharing that beautiful old hymn. I loved the pictures and I love Fernando Orgeta - he can take some of the old hymns and make them relevant in today's style of music.

    I agree with you - the worst type of assault is on my integrity, and I cannot imagine Paul being accused of anything but preaching what God had given him. A great post today. And, like you, this has been an amazing journey for me and I have learned so much. I hate to see it drawing to a close - -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry- great post! Words fail when it comes to how much this blog has meant to me this year. You ladies have been such an encouragement and challenge. I can't believe how blessed I've been through this! And- like you said in those last verses...over and over again I hear God saying through His word...a recurring theme of look to eternity. Take your eyes off this world. It's temporary. It's slowly but surely changing the way I approach and value life. Just one little thing I've noticed this from this year.

    ReplyDelete