Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Making "Apologies"

As Paul stands trial before the Roman authorities for false charges laid against him by the Jews, we see that he "offer(s) my defense." The Greek word for "offer defense" here is apologeomai. You might be able to guess what english word we use regularly that resembles this word- "apology." While we typically think of making an apology as just admitting we are wrong and saying sorry, in the Greek it actually refers to offering defense for your actions. You may have also heard the word "Apologetics" or "Apologist." Apologetics is the study of the defense of Christianity. An apologist is someone who practices the study and craft of defending Christianity. Several well known men are listed as "Apologists." One of my favorites is Ravi Zaccharias. Paul was certainly an apologist, especially for the chapters we read. While many of us will never study apologetics, we should all be able to defend our faith.

People need to know we "Worship my Father God...believing all the things that are written in the Law and in the Prophets." It is key to our faith that the Bible is true, ALL of it, and that it is the Word of God. Without these basic starting points, the rest of our testimony, defense, or "apology"...whichever you want to call it, has no foundation. All we know about Jesus comes from our Bible. All we know about God comes from our Bible. If it isn't true then we all are believing a lie. Even in this, however, the Jews would agree with Paul.

"There is going to be a resurrection." Paul expounds on this in one of his later defenses when he says, "that the Messiah must suffer, and that as the first to rise from the dead, He would proclaim light to our people and to the Gentiles." All the hope we have lies in the fact that Jesus rose from the dead. If He didn't, again, we are believing a lie. More than that, all that Moses and the Prophets from the Old Testament said would happen- hasn't. Without Jesus, even the Old Testament begins to show some gaping holes.

"Clear conscience before God and men." This is hard. First of all, the only way our conscience can be clear before God, is by accepting His Son. And for our conscience to be clear before men- we have to be daily surrendered to God and the Holy Spirit. Our lives often offer the greatest testimony to God and Jesus. People watch us. They look to us to see what God expects, how He feels about them and how He acts. They also often look for ways to trip us up, falsely accuse us, or silence us. To be able to say that our conscience is clear requires a close relationship with our God.

Paul told his story. He told where he started from, how he met God, and where he had been led by God since then. We all have a story. It may not be nearly as dramatic as Paul's, but you never know how it will affect someone. Will you be brave enough to offer your "apology" to people- no matter what?

Our reading today ended with some great verses. It sums up what drove Paul back to Jerusalem in the first place, what led him in front of Felix, Festus, King Agrippa, and eventually Caesar.
I wish before God, that whether easily or with difficulty,
no only you but all who listen to me today
might become as I am except for these chains.
Acts 26:29

I'm asking myself today what I am willing to endure to enable others to "become as I am"- a daughter of the King, forgiven, blessed, loved and redeemed. I jump at the chance to expound on other things and people I love. If I find a great product or store I'm passing it on to everyone I can think of! My relationship with God is the greatest gift I could have ever hoped to receive and it has impacted my life for the better in more ways than I could ever recount. Am I that quick to pass it on? I wish before God...

It's Christmas time. Today, as my christmas playlist was playing on my phone I came across an old carol that you don't hear much anymore. It applies to our reading in Acts, so I thought I'd share. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. As, we are approaching the Christmas Season may we all remember that the greatest gift to mankind was given on that day. My prayer has always been for God to make me a stepping stone and not a stumbling block to those around me. i WILL gladly apologize that I am a Christian who loves my Lord and Savior. Great post Nat, I learned something new today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too learned something new today Natalie! Great post. Thank you.

    I loved the "Faith of our Fathers" song and for some reason it surprised me that it was on a Christmas album. No, you don't hear that very hymn often anymore, but the words are beautiful. It seemed all the more memorable today to me because of the anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apologetics is one of my passions!!! I feel VERY burdened by the Lord to teach our young people about how to defend their faith because I truly believe that things are going to get VERY difficult in THIS country in their lifetimes. We ALL need to learn how to defend our faith. I believe this is a skill that needs to be learned by all Christians in the times we are in. Ravi is also my favorite apologist Natalie. Great post as always Natalie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy old hymns and using hymnals. Growing up in the Methodist church, I was exposed to many and honestly at that time did not pay much attention to the words. However, now, I love listening to the words and allowing them to comfort and minister to me. Thanks for sharing that, Natalie!

    I had to chuckle at Festus' conversation with King Agrippa: "Instead, they had some points of dispute with him about their own religion and about a dead man named Jesus who Paul claimed was alive. I was at a loss how to investigate such matters; so I asked if he would be willing to go to Jerusalem and stand trial there on these charges." Can't you just hear that conversation????? It's interesting that many of these governmental leaders did not want to be put into a position of judging Paul. It's a good reminder that God is our judge and that we are not called to judge others.

    ReplyDelete