Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Friday, December 30, 2011

Paul and Timothy, Fellow Sojourners

I signed up for a mentoring group a few years ago. And, another a few years before that. In fact, I've been a part of three organized mentoring emphases, each being successful in it's own way. However, some of the most meaningful mentoring-type relationships I've experienced were not organized by a third party at all. Rather, these relationships were formed on the journey of this path we call "life." Fellow sojourners, who locked arms alongside myself in service and love, developing a relationship that will forever be precious to me.

What a special relationship Paul had with Timothy! And as God would have it, Paul's letter to Timothy is just as relevant today, as it was in their time. It is sound doctrine for congregation and it's pastor. It provides instruction concerning the church congregation's behavior in many areas, as well as that of it's members individually. Paul wrote things in this book that our "politically correct" society would have banned, burned, or buried! Knowing it's infallible mark, however, I will not disregard any of it's advice. Speaking of advice....as any good father would do, Paul also includes loads of advice for young Timothy in this letter! Clearly, God received great glory through the work of these two men. How can we have this type of relationship today? I'd like to consider how such a special bond is formed by looking at these two points: Pursue a Paul and Train a Timothy.

Pursue a Paul. Paul was by his own admission like a father to young Timothy, calling him his "true son in the faith." Paul wrote this letter to instruct and encourage Timothy in his spiritual leadership role. Is there someone in your life whom you love and admire in the faith? Maybe more than one? Submit yourself to that person, serve alongside that "Paul" and learn. Mentoring is not something that you do at 5:00 on Tuesdays once a month....rather a relationship that is born out of common interests and service opportunities. As we watch, listen, serve, glean, and learn from our Paul, we are encouraged in our faith. We grow spiritually. We learn as disciples. I believe we can even have mentors by way of books, movies, conferences, and social networking! We live in an age where the possibilities seem endless. Pursue that relationship today.

Train a Timothy. Timothy was hungry for the word! He was eager to serve and to learn all that He could for and about Christ. Although Timothy of the Bible was a young man, your Timothy does not have to be any certain age. Is there someone in your life, whom the Lord has laid on your heart to invest your time with? ...perhaps a child? Is there someone who has recently come to knowledge of Christ and would benefit from your encouragement? ...perhaps an older person? ...perhaps even a family member? God's word is meant for all ages. It is meant for child and adult alike, that each may "become wise unto salvation." One of my favorite reminders is found in this book, 1:15-16, "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst. But, for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display His immense patience as an example for those who would believe in Him and receive eternal life." And, I love this quote:
"[The Bible] is like a river: so deep in the middle that an elephant may swim in it, but along the shore a lamb may wade, and not be drowned."
All throughout this letter, Paul encourages Timothy to stand firm. To persevere. To remain true to his calling. (sound familiar??) He tells Timothy to "fight the good fight of faith". Who will you encourage today? Who will be allowed to encourage you today?

5 comments:

  1. I love your comments today, Jaybrena. Pursue a Paul, train a Timothy. What a wonderful thought. I've had many Paul's in my life and learned so much from them - and it's still ongoing. There is so much to learn from many folks regardless of age! Thanks for a great post today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read an article in a mentoring class once about pursuing Pauls in our life....I have never forgotten it. It's actually a common theme, with lots of curriculum and I couldn't help but share my heart about it. I have thoroughly enjoyed our journey this year on the Planted Blog, and I consider each of you a Paul in my own life. I am thankful to know you all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also had so many Paul's in my life- there's a scripture in matthew that says "to whom much has been given, much is required." It reminds me that God has been more than gracious to give me so much- am I using it for Him? I've learned too that often times we can learn from our Timothy's as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaybrena, I really liked your blog with the Pursue a Paul and train a Timothy. That really gets one to thinking. I know I have had several Paul's in my life but I am not so sure that I have did my part on training a Timothy. Praying to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jaybrena - what a WONDERFUL post!!! I absolutely LOVE the idea of "Pursue a Paul, Train a Timothy." I have done both in my life and have learned just as much from being a Paul as from training a Timothy! Discipleship baby...that is what it is ALL about!!!

    ReplyDelete