Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Paul Arrested in Jerusalem

Christianity was spreading all over the region. Everywhere Paul went, he and his group found a group of believers. Isn’t it encouraging to find a new sister or brother in Christ? I found it interesting that some of the disciples there in Tyre and in Caesarea urged Paul not to go to Jerusalem because the Holy Spirit had revealed to them that he would be bound. Some may read this and think that Paul was being warned not to go by the Holy Spirit but I believe he was just being warned of what was going to happen. God knew Paul’s heart and that he was ready and able to handle such news. I know that I would have run at the thought of some of the things I have had to face in my life. It was better that the Lord didn’t tell me it would happen.

Paul, Luke and the rest of the group arrived in Jerusalem and were welcomed by the church there. They shared their stories of what God had done among the Gentiles and praised God. Paul then, attempting to prove he was not against the law, began the purification process along with four other men (he paid their expenses). Before the seven days were over a riot broke out against Paul and he was arrested but not before they tried to kill him. They were so angry at what Paul stood for. It is amazing to me that after the crowd had nearly beaten him to death he still took another chance to preach the Gospel to them. He tells them of his conversion from a persecutor to the persecuted. The crowd listened until he mentioned the Gentiles. Paul wanted so badly for the people there to repent but God had plainly told him they would not accept his testimony. Maybe he just wanted them to know that they were told one more time.

As Paul was about to be tortured during interrogation he asks them if it is legal for them to flog a Roman citizen without a trial. They had to release him and then brought him before the chief priests and the members of the Sanhedrin. Paul’s opening statement provoked a reaction from the high priest to have him stuck on the mouth. Paul then says, “God will strike you, you whitewashed wall!” This council was the same council that accused Jesus. Ananias was a corrupt high priest.

I found 23:6-8 very interesting. Paul happens to bring up the one thing that would divide the Pharisees and Sadducees in turn taking the focus off him. This statement about having hope of the resurrection of the dead got the Pharisees on his side. The next night the Lord visited Paul in his jail cell. The Lord told him…
“Take courage! As you have testified about me in Jerusalem, so you must also testify in Rome.”

The next day a group of 40+ men plotted to kill Paul. They vowed not to eat or drink until Paul was dead. God used three people to save Paul’s life. Paul’s nephew heard about the plot from someone and then he told the Roman commander. God can use anyone to fulfill his purpose even if they are not saved, like the Roman commander. He is then sent to Caesarea and put under guard at Herod’s palace. He used the Roman army to move Paul out of Jerusalem. God works in amazing ways.

5 comments:

  1. I loved that "the Lord stood near Paul"- and warned him. How precious a picture. God knows what we need- what information we need to hear- and prepares us to face it. He also goes with us. Always. I agree Amy, God works in amazing ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the verse you quoted - "take courage.. ." How about that coming from the Lord! Now that's encouragement. Sometimes in difficult circumstances we just need to hear that from the Lord. It helps us go forward and stay on course. Paul certainly did that with courage and strength. What an example!

    I've been "out of pocket" for a few days without the computer - but have caught up now and loved every post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the great post, Amy. One thing I have learned through this experience that I am not alone in my way of thinking or feeling. As you said, you would run if told ahead of time of the future. I believe I would to but then I feel guilty because I think I should be trusting God. I will ask myself why can't I be as strong as others. So to me it is good to hear that sometimes we all face the same doubts. God never gives us more than we can handle. I need to remember that as I face some of the obstacles in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love the way God uses anyone He wants to to accomplish His purposes. It just reinforces so much to me that He is in control and that He is sovereign. Paul really was an amazing Christian man. His life is such a wonderful example of what God can do with someone when He REALLY gets ahold of them!!! GREAT post Amy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too enjoyed the private conversation between Paul and the Lord. I think Paul's acknowledgement to the Lord about his presence and role in Stephen's death was done out of repentance and humility. He obviously remembered that experience very well and knew that it would have a negative impact on his ability to witness to the Jews. What a strong statement about how are actions impact our witness!

    ReplyDelete