Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Know Christ…

I just love the book of Colossians! When I was in college I went through a spiritual low. There was a time when doubt overwhelmed me to the point of great fear that there was no God. In the last two years of my college experience, the Lord began pulling me out of that pit and renewing my relationship. This is when I truly learned what it meant to “fall in love with Jesus.” I had a lot of knowledge but I didn’t “KNOW” Christ. I feel so blessed today being reminded of how wonderful he is to me. Colossians was one of the key books that encouraged me in my struggle. Maybe all of you have a personal testimony to share about the book of Colossians. If I don’t say wonderful words of wisdom and if I don’t give some inspiring insight, I still have been reminded of the importance of knowing him, not just knowing all the “right” ways to live or worship. This has been a roller-coaster of an issue for me because I have a perfectionism tendency. I want to get it perfect or I have failed. I believe many people struggle with this same thing. The Colossian church was struggling with trying to get it right too. So much religious knowledge was being spread around and mixed in that the people were being confused.

Here are some Key Verses:
Colossians 1:15-16, "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him."

Colossians 2:8-10, "See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ. For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority."

Colossians 3:12-13, "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you."

Colossians 4:5-6, "Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

Paul was writing the Colossian church to try to expose and defeat the heresy arising in Colossea. A heresy is a deviation from the truth. There was a flawed view of Christ in which his deity was not accepted. Paul does a wonderful job of pointing us to the sufficiency of Christ. At the same time he reminds them of how they should treat others.
We need to remember that our actions do matter but are not our salvation. Legalism was/is also an issue. I think we all struggle with change and the Jews particularly struggled with giving up some of the Old Testament requirements like circumcision. We must hold on to the truth that Christ is sufficient for our salvation and sanctification. We must guard against things that can lead us astray by forms of legalism and heresy by knowing the gospel. The only way to know the gospel is to stay in the Word. There is no substitution. We must guard against anything that would diminish the importance of Christ. Anything or anyone who tries to make itself equal to the authority of the Word of God must be avoided. One of satan’s affective schemes is to mix lies in with the truth. Other religions cannot be combined with or added to Christianity. We cannot just take what we like and leave out what we don’t like or understand. His will is revealed in his word and we must get to know Him through his word.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for an inspiring post today Amy. I love the verse "whatsoever you do . . ." sometimes I do not do things "heartily as to the Lord" I'm afraid to say! A good reminder for me.

    I've been away from the computer a lot in the last few days, but have loved the posts and comments ladies. Some wonderful letters to study!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, thank you for sharing part of your testimony! I loved it! And so many of these books we're reading now have verses that have stirred our hearts many times before. It's fun to be reading through them with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, Amy! I also studied the book of Colossians in college :) I was pleasantly surprised at how many verses I remembered, but also found many that seemed very new to me.

    Today, I love one of the ones you highlighted: "Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." I think this will become more and more a reality in our lives as we know Him more through His word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME post Amy!!! I too had a lot of head knowledge of the Lord at that same time in my life but did not really KNOW Him. I wasted SO MUCH time not really knowing Him that it just breaks my heart at times. Half truths are VERY dangerous and are something that permeates many churches in America today. Know God's Word...that is the only solution!!!

    ReplyDelete