Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, December 12, 2011

Chosen for Living Sacrifices

"I want to lay all this out on the table as clearly as I can, friends. 
This is complicated."

I have to admit that I'm struggling with these chapters in Romans.  I struggle with the language, Paul's explanations of God's dealing with the Israelites, will they or won't they be saved?, pruned branches, grafted branches, insiders (Jews), and outsiders (Gentiles).  In our reading today, had a hard time just getting through chapter 11, so I took a look at The Message Bible.  I was comforted by translated words from Paul (quoted above from the Message 11:25-19).  Even Paul thought it was complicated.  Whew!

Paul does speak to the topic of all people being chosen by God's grace.  I cannot explain or fathom this process, but trust God's Word when he tells us that He works in people's hearts to bring them to Himself through His grace.  It is comforting to me and encouraging to know that even if there has been a previous rejection of God, redemption is still possible (Rom 11:23).

As we move into chapters 12 and 13, there is a clear transition from the the topic of God's sovereignty to the response and personal responsibility for those who are chosen.  Anyone else glad to get some practical instructions????

Chapter 12 opens with God's calling for us to be living sacrifices.  This is an interesting term and one that I'm quickly becoming fond of as I work to wrap my head around it.  My NIV Study Bible notes say that the term living sacrifices is used 'In contrast to dead animal sacrifices, or perhaps "living" in the sense of having the new life of the Holy Spirit.'  What a blessing that is to the body of believers...  no more animal sacrifices are required as restitution for our sin and we have new life in the Holy Spirit! 

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
~John 10:10

I also love the simplicity of the statement that tells us that offering our bodies as living sacrifices is "holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship" (12:1).  This is how we have full life in Christ!  How often do we wonder (maybe not even thinking about it... "how can I please God"?  Well, here we go...
  • Be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  How?  Through reading and meditating on God's word.  The result of that "sacrifice" is being able to determine God's will for our lives.
  • Be humble.  Remember that "You do not support the root, but the root supports you." (11:9)
  • Recognize and use your God-given gifts.  Just as important, we are to allow others to use their gifts!
  • Share with God's people who are in need.  Practice hospitality.
  • Live at peace with everyone.  I think it's interesting here that we are told to do this, "if it is possible, as far as it depends on you."  We are responsible to do what we can.
  • Submit to governing authorities.  This is a tough one, but I'm comforted by trusting that God has established the authorities.  As many issues as we have today in the U.S., we are still a blessed nation!
  • Love your neighbor as yourself.
  • Do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature. I could spend some time camping out on this one.  I'm sure subconsciously I think about this much more than I care to admit.

One of my co-workers that reminded me of this verse last week.  It blessed me and also think it summarizes for us how to put ourselves into the right mindset for being living sacrifices.

"Finally, brothers, 
whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, 
whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - 
if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - 
think about such things. 
Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, 
or seen in me - 
put it into practice. 
And the God of peace will be with you." 
~Philippians 4:8-9

3 comments:

  1. Great breakdown of complicated material terry!! You did a great job. So much to process!! I am reminded again of the battleground for my mind- what do I think about? Focus on? Hmm..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry, you did a wonderful job with today's verses. They are complicated! You broke the meanings down very well. After choosing "The Lamb of God" as my centerpiece for last week's dinner, I was struck with the verses on "Living Sacrifice."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry - I just had that very same passage from Philippians in my devotions today. God must be trying to tell me something! This stuff in Romans is A LOT to process and understand. I said this before, but I think Paul had a hard time coming down to our level at times because he was so brilliant. He was a VERY educated and well-trained man! The "living sacrifice" thing has always greatly convicted me mostly because I do not do a good job of taking care of my health. These chapters are packed and you did a fantastic job of breaking them down!!!

    ReplyDelete