Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Embrace Your Thorn

It's true isn't it? Tell me you don't feel the pressure to be everything on this list...I dare you. Society hits us from all sides with it. Not always in a negative light, it can be positive with organizational tips, "quick fix dinners," and "10 minute workouts." It's subtle but there...be better, do more...become perfect. We get bogged down in information overload, feel guilty that we don't have the time or money to do all the great ideas we see everywhere that are supposed to make our lives so much better. I'm an idea junkie for sure. I love the website Pinterest which is basically a huge catalog of ideas from all over the internet. It's also a great place to organize and store ideas you find from other places on the internet. My blogroll is up to something like 30 blogs that I follow. The topics range from fashion to home decor, cooking and organization to bible study. I follow them all because those things interest me. But I'd also be lying if I didn't tell you that I'm also always trying to find better and easier ways to do things. Somewhere deep inside I want to be all those things on that list because I think that when I am and can...life will finally be what it is supposed to be. I will have arrived- but at what exactly?

Over and over again we've seen in Paul's letters to the churches that times really haven't changed that much. As we read the last few chapters of 2 Corinthians, we sense his tone change from encouragement and support to harsh reprimand and warning. Apparently some false prophets were trying to tear down Paul and his ministry, citing his lack of ability in public speaking and unimposing physical presence. Honestly, this is the first time I've noticed this in the Bible. Because Paul's letters are so passionate and he is described as being so quick to speak up in public, I'd always pictured him as being a great speaker and having a very imposing presence. Apparently, I was wrong! Scratch off "fit, trim and well groomed" from Paul's "perfect" list. As I read Paul defend himself, it hit me that perhaps this should also be my defense against the constant pressure to be perfect. Let's read about how to cut ourselves some slack, shall we?

Start with the right measuring stick. "For we don't dare classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. But in measuring themselves by themselves and comparing themselves to themselves they lack understanding. We, however, will not boast beyond measure but according to the measure of the area of ministry that God has assigned to us..." We have to measure ourselves according to what God has assigned us- and how we are caring for that. The false prophets' measuring sticks failed in two respects: 1. They held themselves up as the standard. 2. They held themselves up as the standard. Seems redundant right? Well, there are two dangers that come from measuring others by yourself- you lift up your own abilities as the best and only way- putting down rather than celebrating other abilities and gifts from the people around you. You fail to recognize your own failings and need for the abilities of others. Secondly, you leave God out of the equation entirely. Yikes! He is the only true measuring stick- and only by looking at how well we are following Him can we truly evaluate our lives.

Continually examine yourselves. Now that we've established what we should be evaluating ourselves on- it's time to get on with doing just that. "Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith. Examine yourselves. Or do you yourselves not recognize that Jesus Christ is in you?- unless you fail the test." According to my Holman Christian Study Bible- those words "test" and "examine" could be translated "keep on testing" and "keep on examining." We've got to let go of the idea that we will ever, this side of heaven, "arrive." In fact, if we think we have arrived- we are just about to fall flat on our faces. In 1 John, we are given a few areas to examine ourselves with. Three tests. 1. The doctrinal test. Do you believe the truth about Jesus Christ as presented in Scripture? Are there areas you have questions about or don't understand? Seek out answers! 2. The moral test. Do you live according to Christ's commands? 3. The love test. Do you have a love for God and for those in God's family? The point of these tests is not to make us feel like a failure- but to show us where we need to improve. There is now no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus. The only failure is to fail to examine.

Embrace Humility. That list we started with has it's roots in pride and self-sufficiency. We can do it all! On our own! You are so blessed to have me in your life! In contrast, my Holman Christian Study Bible defines humility like this: "the opposite of putting self first, it means that a person does not think of self at all, but instead thinks of the needs of others and makes their needs a priority."

Trust in God's strength. "But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.' Therefore I will most gladly boast all the more about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may reside in me." At the root of it all- is who we are trusting in. Do we trust ourselves and ourselves alone to accomplish what God has set before us? Or, do we trust in God to accomplish it through us? The weaker we are in an area, the greater God's power has to shine through to help us accomplish it- giving us all the more to praise Him for. Paul himself said that God had given him a "thorn in his flesh." We don't know what that was exactly, but it is certainly evident that God used Paul mightily inspite of- and perhaps even through- that personal weakness. It kept Paul dependent on God.

I highly doubt you are everything on that list. I'm certainly not. The areas on that list that you struggle with aren't going to be the same as mine. How you overcome your personal struggles won't look exactly like how I overcome mine. One thing is universal across the board- we all need Jesus to help us become anything worth anything in this life. A clean house, perfect physique, folded laundry, money in the bank and gourmet dinners aren't going to mean much in eternity or provide us any lasting peace. God is the only one who can do that. And, He can do it in the midst of a dirty house, full laundry and financial crisis. Whatever your "thorn" is- embrace it, and watch God work through it.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ,
and love of God,
and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit
be with all of you.
2 Corinthians 13:13

4 comments:

  1. Natalie, I enjoyed your post and your list. There was a time these things was important to me to try and do although I fell short. Now I can honestly say these things are no longer important to me. If I can, good. If I can't, oh well, there is always tomorrow.
    I do want to take this time to say that although I haven't been making many comments, I have enjoyed reading and learning from all of you.
    I do want to wish each and everyone who post or who reads our post a very Merry Christmas. Our year is almost up but I hope we all continue to read and study the word. This has been a tremendous help to me in understanding and for that I thank you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy could I ever add to the list at the top of the page! Let's see . . . but finally I have learned more and more of what is important in my life and stopped striving for perfection in my flesh.

    2 Cor. 12:9 is my life verse - without God's grace and power I am nothing. He is my strengh and my rock. Thanks Natalie for a great post today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Natalie! What an amazing post!!! The list of items you broke down in your post today is a list that all of us need to keep at the forefront of our minds as a regular spiritual "check-up". I cannot tell you how many times my husband and I have been having a discussion and said to each other, "But what is the measuring stick they are using?". I would pray for a million thorns in my flesh to keep pride from sneaking in and doing its destructive work in my life and I hope that by recognizing this I am in fact keeping pride from sneaking in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This hit the spot today! Natalie, your perspective in this post is wonderful. Thank you for reminding me that I'm often using the wrong measuring stick :) God continues to remind me that I need to keep my mind and actions focused on eternal things, not temporal things of this world.

    ReplyDelete