Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Waiting on God



Where are you God? Have you ever thought that or said that? I have many times. Isn't it hard when you don't understand the circumstances, or you have prayed and prayed and the "answer" (the one you expect or want) doesn't come? It is hard sometimes to see God while you are waiting, when your eyes are filled with tears.

I think Mary and Martha felt that. Where was Jesus when they needed him? Why didn't he come? Surely he knew that Lazarus was sick. What was the delay?

I don't like delays, and I don't like to wait. I don't like waiting for an appointment - no matter how busy the doctor seems to be. I don't want to wait in an emergency room - I want attention now. I want a reply to my e-mail right away. I need a job now. I want the phone to be answered by a real person and not by a machine. I don't want to wait in line at the grocery store because I picked the "wrong" line.

I'm the same way when I'm hurting emotionally or spiritually. "Lord I need you NOW." ("Come to Bethany - now.") But sometimes, because He loves us - He waits. We say we serve an "on time God." But I wonder if that is what Mary and Martha would have said standing at Lazarus's tomb? But that's what Jesus did - He waited. He waited because he loved them. He wanted what was best for them. It was a "delay" on purpose. For their good, and for the glory of God.

We often think "delay" when God's timeing is different than ours. We think He is late, when he acts at the right time. We are impatient, but He gives us what is best for us. Maybe faith is about waiting. Waiting gives us time to reflect - time to learn to love, to be patient, to care, to pray, to drawe closer. Time to see with a new insight - a new perspective.

One Christian writer said, God never comes to those that do not wait. Lazarus found that to be true, and Mary and Martha too. I have. What about you?

Here's a thought:


Time is

Too slow for those who wait,

Too swift for those who fear,

Too long for those who grieve,

Too short for those who rejoice;

But for those who love,

Time is eternity.


And speaking of being on time - Happy Thanksgiving to all! You ladies have so enriched my life this year; and I am thankful for each post, each comment, each picture, each verse we have read and shared.

2 comments:

  1. Mrs. Barbara - WONDERFUL post!!! What an important lesson to learn in our walk with the Lord...waiting. This could be, in my opinion, one of the most difficult things about being a Christian. We have to remember that God is sovereign and HE alone knows the big picture and how all things will work together ultimately for His glory and for our good as well.

    I cannot even begin to express to ALL of you how VERY thankful I am to have sisters and brothers in Christ such as you all and how my life has been changed for ALL eternity because of this blog and all that I have learned from each of you. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Barbara, we've all felt that pull of time. We all seem to want God to operate on our timetable. If we are really going to surrender to His will, it means waiting on His timing. It is always perfect. My favorite verse: Ps 27:14 "Wait for the Lord. Be strong, and take heart, and wait for the Lord."

    ReplyDelete