Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

It is That Time of Year Again.

My mom and I walked into a children’s shop last night to find something for my children to wear during the Christmas holiday season. My mom always loves to buy them matching or at least coordinating outfits for the special times of the year. I turned to my mom and said, “I remember when the Christmas music didn’t start playing until at least the day after Thanksgiving.” This was my response to the music playing in the store, and they had the volume jacked up too. I think the loud music is to keep you confused while you are shopping so you don’t pay attention to the price as much. I am making a joke just in case anyone was confused, but yes, it is THAT time of year again.

Every year about this time I start asking the same question, “Why?” Why do we celebrate Jesus’ birthday? Why do people put lights all over their yard for a month and a half (or longer)? Why should I go to all the trouble of putting up a Christmas tree? What does it mean anyway? Many of us know that most of the traditions come from pagan origin anyway so what is the purpose? The answer to these questions is as simple as Linus’ deliverance of Luke 2:8-14. I hope you enjoy this short clip. It is one of my favorite “traditions” to watch the Charlie Brown Christmas.



I ask these questions not to be cynical but to challenge myself to make it mean something. I desperately want my children to understand the importance of doing everything for the glory of God. This years blogging experience has been a great blessing and it has been a great challenge. I have had many questions answered and many questions have come up (I know there was a blog on this very subject not too long ago).


Jesus' first time in the temple
Because Jesus was a first born son it was the Jewish law to offer a sacrifice to God. Isn’t it strange to think of this sacrifice? Joseph and Mary bought back Jesus, their first born son so that one day he would buy us all back by paying the price of sin once and for all. Just for refresher, God spared the first born sons (in Egypt) of those Israelites who marked the doorposts with the lambs blood. God then commanded them to present a sacrifice for each first born male, to buy them back - redeem. We must remember that Jesus did not come to demolish the law but to complete it.

Can you imagine the feelings Mary and Joseph had when the prophet Simeon came in and held their son, proclaiming that he was the Messiah? Even after all the events of Mary’s pregnancy, Joseph’s dream, the shepherds’ adoration, I wonder if their confidence wavered? I wonder, out of my own convictions, if they might have wanted to hide away with him and wait for more clarification to come to them? As they listened to the prophet Simeon he prophesied about the affect Jesus would have on Israel.

“Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously.” Some people like to joke with me about my four little lambs when we are going places. One question I get a lot is, “Do you constantly do a head count?” I usually laugh and say, “It depends.” Think about Mary and Joseph who was raising the Son of God and they lost him. Now we know he was never lost but I just wonder if Mary was afraid that God might ask her, Mary what did you do with my son? To lose a child is one of the biggest fears of a mother. Jesus tells his mother that he was simply about his Father’s business and that she should not have been worried. She and Joseph did not understand but Jesus went home with them and was obedient to his parents just like his word says to.

John the Baptist Preaches and Baptizes
John begins to teach and rebuke the people about their attitude towards God. He wanted them to understand their need for repentance. Then he baptized them. As he was baptizing, Jesus approached him and was also baptized. This signified the beginning of Jesus’ ministry and the approval of the Father. Jesus did not need repentance he was setting an example for all of us to follow.

Luke chapter 3 ends with the lineage of Jesus all the way back to Adam. In my study notes it tells me that Luke did this to show how Jesus is related to all human beings and to help us have the picture that Jesus is the Savior of the world not just one people group. Praise God!

6 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, YES!!!! What a beautiful way to start the morning, Amy. Reflecting on "why" we do the things that we do, over and over....and I'd like to add that we are sometimes waiting on different results! What a wonderful time of year to make a change for the better!

    "Mary, What did you do with My Son??" ....oh, wow. What a question to ponder. I know it was in jest, but I wonder if He REALLY does ask us this question......... "Jaybrena, what did you do with My Son?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very thought provoking Amy. Thank you for your dedication to this blog. I have been blessed by all the ladies comments. I am going to meditate on these words today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the Charlie Brown Christmas. It brings back memories of watching that and other Christmas shows with my kids. Christmas is my favorite time of the year and I love the decorations. I have always tried to remind my family of the true meaning of Christmas and now that I have grand and great grand children, I am happy to know my family is teaching them also. Thank you so much, Amy, for the wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amy for a great post today. I loved the Charlie Brown message - so simple and so thought provoking. We often try and make things so hard, don't we??

    I wonder what happened to Thanksgiving?? It seems we went from Halloween directly into Christmas in all the stores! I love the Christmas Season and as Ms. Boots said, I want to be sure all our grandchildren understand the true meaning of this special time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, great post! I"m with you on so many points. One thing that stood out to me in the scripture was the same thing you mentioned about how the response of Simeon to Jesus must have warmed and reassured Mary and Joseph's hearts. God is so good to provide, and when we, as believers are hoping for the same thing God often blesses more than one of our hearts at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVED the Charlie Brown clip Amy!!! I just love to hear the sound of children's voices reading God's Word!!! I have to be honest, Christmas is just NOT my favorite time of year and it is NOT because of what it truly means but because of how we as humans have totally messed it up (which we are SO very good at). I would be perfectly content with going to church and worshiping my newborn Savior and spending time with loved ones. I could COMPLETELY do away with all the decorating, shopping, stress, and marketing that the world has put into this sacred time of year. The story of how Jesus stayed back in His Father's house and He was "lost" always makes me chuckle a little bit. Mary and Joseph still just could not quite grasp (and who can blame them!) the concept of who Jesus really is. WONDERFUL post Amy!!!!

    ReplyDelete