Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Friday, November 11, 2011

Liars and Demons and Disease, OH MY!

Maybe I've just got feasting and celebrating on my mind this month, but, Oh!!! ...what a FEAST of TRUTH we find in chapters 8 and 9 of Luke's gospel! Isn't it amazing to read the four gospels, so unique, yet perfectly unified. More than likely, we are in familiar territory here as we read these recorded events. The parable of the Sower, a lamp, a storm, demon-possession, diseases, a miraculous food ration, the Transfiguration and countless lessons on eternity fill the verses of these chapters. I'd like to ask you to read these verses, and ask the Lord to show you something you've never seen before. I have chosen a few portions that got my brain clicking, and in some cases my heart racing! God's word is alive, and He lives in me! Praise Him!

I love that the women who came face-to-face with this Jesus, never wanted to leave Him! Mary Magdelene, freed of 7 demons, Joanna and Susanna who themselves had experienced the healing power of Christ chose to serve Him with the work of their hands. They chose to be with Him, they gave to the mission of their own means. They likely cared for the men and did everything they could to serve the One who saved them. They recognized their role, and filled it beautifully.

In respect to storms, I can handle rain, thunder, lightning, and such....but let the wind start blowing and I am looking for the nearest closet! Something interesting about this storm recorded in Luke though, something I'm not sure I've considered enough. The disciples in the storm, in this boat, were there on account of Christ. It was for His sake that they were in the storm, and Who better to be in company of? What better place to be than in His will? I'm quite convinced that no one place is safer than another. The Lord is with me, and I can go where ever He leads and have perfect peace. He will protect me. And, if He so chooses to honor me with great tribulation, I am learning to trust Him more every day to use it for His glory. Even in death, I cannot lose.

"Legion." This was the response when asked his name. It sends shivers up my spine! We are told that many demons were in him. Interesting that they begged Jesus not to throw them into the abyss, but into the swine instead. Now there are numerous applications and amazing truths to glean from this, but I will choose the one that spoke to me today. I was struck by the people's response to the healing of this man. They were more frightened after he was healed. Why? Was it the unknown that scared them?? I read a commentary about this portion, and will quote that here, as John Darby says exactly what was on my heart in words I can't form any better:
"The world beseeches Jesus to depart, desiring their own ease, which is more disturbed by the presence and power of God than by a legion of devils."
Jesus asked who people say He is. The disciples answered with the things they had likely heard people say....like He was John the Baptist, He was Elijah, He was a prophet....basically, He was anything else than that which He claimed to be. Was it because it was too good to be true that the Savior would come in their lifetime? They seemed to think that "after thousands of years, is this what we've waited for?" Am I guilty of this today?? Oh, we say that He could come at any time, but do we truly believe it could be today?? Do our words and actions reflect that?

I love the fact that others were even talking about Him in the first place! The fame of His marvelous works had reached the ears of the king. Israel was without excuse. Whatever little conscience was left in pagan world, couldn't deny the effect of His power. He made an impression. It was lasting impression.

The Transfiguration is especially wonderful to study, isn't it? I love that Jesus talked to Moses and Elijah the same as He did to Peter, James, and John. I love how thin the veil is between us and what is eternal! As we read in Matthew, He is "Lord of the living and the dead." These saints of old are no more "special" than you are today! God loves you and wants to work through you!

And, I loved the words Jesus spoke to His followers whenever the time was right. He reminded them of eternity, and His purpose. Whether or not they fully understood the entire thing, we know that all of the pieces were coming together. The people across the lands marveled at Jesus and His miracles. Some hung on every word of His teaching. But, Jesus took some aside to invest in. Some who would be left with the task of telling the entire world about this Man. Read this portion of scripture afresh today:
"While everyone was marveling at all that Jesus did, He said to His disciples, "Listen carefully to what I am about to tell you: The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men." But they did not understand what this meant. It was hidden from them, so that they did not grasp it, and they were afraid to ask Him about it."
This says that there was information hidden from them....Why were they afraid to ask questions? Was it hidden until they did ask? Was God waiting on them to ask? Or would He, in His sovereignty, keep it from them a little while longer knowing what is to come? I don't know. But, what is God saying to you about asking for clarification? Maybe on your journey, fear is keeping you from asking God for more details. He may never give the details, but don't let it be because you didn't ask.

Press on, sister!

4 comments:

  1. WOW Jaybrena - you had such a host of things in your chapters today and you did a marvelous job- so much to think about - we could camp on each point!

    What struck me was Jesus asking his disciples who did they say He was. They had seen him work miracles in people and with the elements. He is still asking all of us that question today! Who do we say He is in our own lives. Do we see that He is the calm in our storms, able to drive out our own "demons" and the Lord of the living and the dead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Don't let it be because you didn't ask..." Hmmm. "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God...and it will be given to him." James 1:5
    What haven't I asked for??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two things hit me with today's reading. The first was the transfiguration. Did you ever wonder how they knew Jesus was with Moses and elijah? I never thought about it before today but today I asked why? They never saw or met them before. I think it was to let us know that when we get to heaven we will not only know our families and friends but we will know everybody there. Wouldn't it be neat to sit and talk to some of the old testament saints? The other thing, Jaybrena, you asked to we ask God for things. My son asked me if I had ever asked God if He wanted me to do a mission trip and I told Him no because I didn't want to go. When I did ask God to open the door if He wanted me to go, He did and it was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done in my life even though I had went kicking and screaming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. Jaybrena - just a WONDERFUL post today!!! Each day I ask myself how in the world a person can be expected to summarize this stuff and yet cover everything adequately and yet you seem to do that SO WELL!!! I just absolutely LOVE that quote from John Darby...HOW PROFOUND! Ms. Boots - I really like what you said in your comment about the fact that the transfiguration shows that we will recognize people we know in heaven. I had NEVER thought of that before. Who do I say He is???? Oh don't even get me started!!! :)

    ReplyDelete