Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, November 14, 2011

Calling a Spade a Spade




My employer is headquartered in New York City and I have many co-workers in that city and in the general northeast.  I have thoroughly enjoyed working with many of them.  One difference that we often laugh about is how they tend to be much more direct in their speaking than I am.  As a southern gal, I tend to be sensitive to some of the direct comments, especially if they are directed to or about me.  However, I've learned over time not to be so sensitive and have come to appreciate the fact that I don't have to think too hard to read between the lines.

Jesus had to much to teach and say in his short three years of ministry.  I can only imagine that he was bubbling over with things he wanted to say and teach.  Obviously Jesus was God in the flesh, his clarity and emotions were perfect.  He knew people's thoughts and motives.  We can tell from the scriptures that he paid very close attention to what was going on around him.  He waited for the right moments and perfectly chose his words and the points to be made.  He was able to speak directly in ways that would most effectively convey his message.  He was always direct and honest "calling a spade a spade".

We can learn so much from Jesus' ministry and how he dealt with other people.  At times he was direct and at other times he told stories.  In some cases, he asked questions and in others he made bold statements.  He also expressed a variety of emotions - compassion, anger, grief, humility, joy, and so many others. 

The Pharisees needed to be challenged directly.  They were very knowledgeable of the law and Jesus had to challenge them in ways that cause them to think "outside of the box".  Jesus was very clever in catching them in their accusations before the words came out of their mouths.  He wanted them (and us) to know that truly loving others is most important... much more important than their man-made laws.

The large crowds had to be told directly what it would cost for them to truly follow Jesus.  They needed to understand that he requires humble servants and sacrifices.  But the reward is great and eternal!

Luke 15 includes some of my favorite parables:
  • The lost sheep
  • The lost coin
  • The lost son
There are so many nuggets to glean from these chapters.  But the bottom line is that Jesus cares deeply for each human soul.  I love the visual that we get of the shepherd going to find the one lost sheep and carrying it home.  Jesus' message is undeniably consistent.  He wants to make sure we know the reality of eternal life (both the good and the bad).  God wants us to see the lost as He sees them... worthy of pursuing so that they may come to believe in Him.  In these passages, I'm reminded of our recent study at Oak Hill and how we are commanded to lay up treasures in heaven.  Searching diligently for lost souls and rejoicing when they are found is certainly laying up treasures in heaven.

Through the Holy Spirit, we gain insight into what is going on around us and how people need to be ministered and spoken to.  I'm encouraged by the fact that people are not "cookie cutters". We can think creatively and rely on the Lord's guidance to minister to and with others.  I'm also reminded to be honest with others although it can seem to be the tougher choice for various reasons.  We can "call a spade a spade" and also be kind, gentle, and loving.  What a fun challenge!

"But we had to celebrate and be glad, 
because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; 
he was lost and is found."
~Luke 15:32

3 comments:

  1. The Lost sheep parable is one of my favorite parables to. I can still remember as a little girl, we would go to visit my grandmother in Ohio and would always ask her to sing, "The Ninety and Nine." which tells the story of the lost sheep. It is still one of my favorite songs even though you don't hear it sung in church anymore. Great post, Terry and thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having lived in the "North" years ago, I understand what you mean by Northerners being very blunt sometimes - takes some "getting used to" being from the South!!

    I too loved the parable of the Lost Sheep. One of my favorite pictures is the one of Jesus carrying the lamb on his shoulder - you just know he "found" him while he was lost! Thanks Terry for a wonderful post today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry - I loved your angle on these chapters with the calling a spade a spade line of thinking. So VERY true!!! I also really liked your thoughts about the fact that Jesus had to be "bubbling" with SO MUCH He wanted to say and teach...I know that feeling very well and this is just on the kids I teach in my little world of influence so I can only imagine how He must have felt about that! It can be VERY frustrating! Also, I really enjoyed your insights on the fact that He had to get the Pharisees to "think outside the box". So steeped in tradition, I would imagine that was quite a challenge and one only Jesus could truly handle. WONDERFUL post Terry!!!

    ReplyDelete