Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, November 21, 2011

Bread of Life

At the beginning of Thanksgiving week, I suspect that most of us have a wonderful feast planned with many festive dishes and some delicious bread.  I personally enjoy a warm yeast roll with... well, lots of butter!  I love the smell of the rolls baking in the oven, the warmth of the bread when I take a bite, the creaminess of the butter, and the touch of sweet that I taste on my tongue.  For a hungry stomach, almost nothing is so satisfying!

In John 5 and 6, I can almost hear some frustration in Jesus' words as he tries to explain that HE is the One thing that can satisfy our souls.  While is is certainly concerned with our physical needs - we see him heal the invalid at the pool and feed the five thousand because they were hungry - he is much, much more concerned with our spiritual needs.

Over and over again in John, we hear "believe", "eternal life", and eternally satisfying water and food.  Food and water are certainly things we can relate to.  We have cravings for food and can be so thirsty our lips are dry.  But, do we hunger and thirst for God and His word like we do for physical things?  (I need to pause here and say, "I'm convicted.")

As has been stated so many times in this blog, God reminds us over and over again in His Word that He is most concerned with the state of our hearts.

  • Although we know Jesus knew the mind of the cripple, he asked: "Do you want to be healed?"  He wanted the man to verbalize his answer and take an active part in the healing process.  Interestingly, this man did not know who Jesus was as he was healed.  However, Jesus pursued the man afterwards to reveal himself again and to discuss spiritual matters.  He wanted to make sure the man knew of the eternal consequences of sin... far worse than being crippled.
  • Jesus also knew the minds of the Jewish people who accused Jesus of working on the Sabbath.  Under great pressure of being killed, Jesus seemed to take much time to explain to them that God is ALWAYS at work in people's lives.  Jesus had some strong words for these Jewish people who were accusing him.  He told them they knew the scriptures backwards and forwards, but did not know God.  How sad!  They were missing the whole point and certainly were not satisfied.
  • When approached with the five thousand men and their families, Jesus knew they were hungry.  He used this as an opportunity to build faith in his disciples and to meet the physical needs of a huge mass of people.  However, most importantly, he wanted to minister to the people spiritually telling them how to receive everlasting satisfaction and a fulfilling life.

I enjoy the simplicity of some of John's words.  If there was any question about what God's work is all about and how we should be involved, here is the simple answer: 

"The work of God is this: 
to believe in the one he has sent."
~ John 6:29

Jesus longs for us to crave Him and be fully satisfied in Him.  As we prepare our Thanksgiving meals for our families (and others) and as we enter into a busy season of gift giving, let's not forget the eternal work to be done.  Let's honor Jesus and remind or tell others of the Bread of Life.

"For the bread of God is he 
who comes down from heaven and 
gives life to the world."
~ John 6:33

4 comments:

  1. To my favorite bloggers, I want to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving! As I wrap up my post this morning, my heart is full of thanks for God's work in my life, at Oak Hill, and for being a part of this wonderful group of women. Thank you for your dedication, insights, and accountability that has deeply touched me and brought me closer to God. I love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am certainly convicted, too, Terry! :) I am making challah today, in our temporary home, and enjoying time to "let the bread rise"! He is the bread of life, and we certainly should seek Him in fulfilling our "cravings". Let's rest in Him, this busy season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry - I second ALL that you said about being thankful for God's work in our lives and for ALL that Oak Hill and this blog have done to change our lives for ALL eternity...there are NO words that could possibly express my thanks enough...I love you all too!!! Jesus is always concerned with our hearts. I have tried to drill this point home over and over again to the young people that I teach. If they can get this into their heads now it will save them A LOT of heartache later on. I do not think there is a whole lot more frustrating than people completely missing the point about Jesus and His Word as the Pharisees clearly did not get. Thank you for another wonderful post Terry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking about "the bread of life" as well , and the verse where John just lays it out- "the work of God is to believe in the one he has sent " amen! In this bust season I also pray I can keep my mind on the spiritual significance I it all. To all of you- one of the things I'm most thankful for this year is his journey I've been on with all of you!! Happy thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete