Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Friday, November 25, 2011

Living Water and Ducks in a Row

Have you ever had to present a case? I don't necessarily mean in a court of law, but maybe to a boss, co-worker, ministry partner, spouse, or your Mom? Before I walk in that meeting of the minds, I want to have my testimony fully prepared, have all my ducks in a row, have settled on the answers to any possible questions that will be asked, and walk away knowing I represented the cause or defended the reason to the best of my ability. Nothing but the facts. Whew! Now that you know that much about me.....try to imagine what is going through my mind as I read over these words in today's passage.

After countless hours of learning from Him and learning that He is exactly Who He says His is, the disciples sit down to the Passover meal with the Lamb. Almost certainly, they didn't know all of this at the time. The Lord washes their feet. He tells of Judas' coming betrayal and of Peter's coming denial. He goes on to say that the world will hate them, all of them. Jesus tells His disciples that He is leaving, but is soon returning. He assures them that He is preparing a place for them in the presence of His Father. Philip asked to see the Father, and Jesus reminded him that since he has seen Him, he has seen the Father. All of this is so overwhelming, and the coming hours must certainly be on Jesus' mind, so He continues. He promises to send a Helper, and again tells them that He will be back for them. He explains that abiding in Him, and He in them, will produce fruit. I wonder if they understood? Jesus says that there will come a day when the disciples see that Christ is in the Father, and the disciples are in Him, and Christ is in them. (I wonder if they asked Him to repeat that portion just once more?) The Lord was giving out instructions left and right, and I wonder if drinking the Living Water seemed much like trying to drink from a gushing fire hydrant at this point?!?

"Come now, let us leave." At what point do you step back and say, "Wait! I need a minute, here! I don't understand! How do I get my ducks in a row when I can't even find all of them?!?" He just said He was leaving, and the information keeps coming. I'm not sure how I would have reacted, really, but I know myself well enough to know that I would've been taking a LOT of notes to ask Him later. Out of respect and pure love for Him, I would listen as He said all that was on His heart....all the time waiting for my moment to ask my questions later. Only, later didn't really come. Whatever questions the disciples were left with that night, were left for them to work out with the Helper Who was to come. Their time with Jesus was fleeting, quickly. That's the thing about Living Water, it's always moving.

"When the Advocate comes....He will testify about Me. You must also testify." I don't know about you, but my testimony seems much like lining up ducklings some days. Sometimes, it just isn't clear what part of our lives will speak most to the ones around us. What do I say? What do I share? Who do I share my testimony with today? Though they may not have realized it completely at the moment, these men were about to go into all parts of the world and present the biggest case of all time. They were the vessels of Water to a lost and dying world....the teaching of the Christ they love with all their heart, mind, and strength had to be shared through their own testimony. The world needed to know the truth of God's love for them. Not only their friends and neighbors, but ALL people in all of the world needed this truth! All that had been poured into them from this Fountain of Living Water, was about to be further poured out to all those around them. Although it seemed to be a tall order, the endless needs of this world, could be met with the endless supply of Living Water. The disciples just have to spread the word, right?

One little problem: "the world will hate you." After all of the instruction and wisdom the disciples had acquired, certainly they were bursting with truth much like the prophet Jeremiah experienced when he said, "His word is inside me like a burning fire shut up in my bones." They had the answer to every problem the people around them had! So let's go give them the good news, right? Maybe. But, what do you do when you get all of your ducks in a row for your big presentation and it falls on deaf ears? What do you do when most of those around you reject your reasoning or the truth that you share? We can work out our questions with the Holy Spirit, too. We can go before the throne of our Creator and Sustainer with all the concerns of our lives. I'm so thankful for His love for me. I'm so glad that I don't have to have an answer for every question, and that my soul finds a resting place with Him.

So here it is, sister: get your ducks in a row and trust the Living Water inside you will carry them to the world through you.

3 comments:

  1. SO MUCH meaning was packed into today's reading! So much was packed into those last few moments with the disciples. How do you even begin to process all that He told you? I have no idea what I would have been doing at the time, but it would probably have been very similar to drinking from a water hose! Sometimes we make things so complicated. He sent us the helper...I'm with you Jaybrena. Get my ducks in a row and trust the Living water to carry it to where it can be used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh...wonderful post Jaybrena! The Truth falling on deaf ears...I have had SO MUCH experience with that lately in my life. There is little more frustrating than this and they had The Truth standing right there in front of them! We MUST have Faith that God knows what He is doing and that He is completely and totally in control of ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a way with words, Jaybrena. Straight and to the heart!

    There was so much Jesus was telling and sharing with his disciples. I'm sure they were overwhelmed and trying to process every word He told them. Perhaps months and months after He was gone, they were still remembering certain words He spoke and just then understanding them. Something like we do when we read a verse of scripture and then read it again and get new meaning from a verse. Great post, Jaybrena.

    ReplyDelete