Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Sunday, November 27, 2011

KING OF THE JEWS AND ME TO

Today's chapters tells us of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus, our Lord and Savior. This brings back to mind when I was a kid. I could not understand why was the day He was put upon the cross called Good Friday. Jesus died a horrible death after suffering a beating so bad He was unrecognizable. How could this be good. Whoever named this day "Good Friday" must of been out of their mind or a Jesus hater. Well, as I grew older, I began to understand better. We have just celebrated Thanksgiving. A day we set aside to thank God for His blessings, I can thank Him for Good Friday because asw bad as it was, He did it for me. There had to be a blood sacrifice to wash away our sins. Without this sacrifice there would be no salvation. Jesus went to the cross willingly so that we could have everlasting life. I believe that when He prayed for this cup to pass over Him that He was talking about sin. Here He was a man that knew no sin had all the sins past, present, and future laid upon Him. What a burden to bear. Thanksgiving and every day of my life I can thank Him for dying for me.

Pilate scourged Him, the soldiers made a crown of thorns and placed it on His head then put a purple robe upon Him and mocked Him crying "Hail King of the Jews" while beating Him. After this he was brought back before Pilate, yelling "crucify Him". Pilate said to take Him and crucify Him because He found no fault in Jesus. Pilate was afraid of Jesus but he had to take Him back because the people had no power and they was demanding that Jesus be crucified. Pilate tried to question Jesus but Jesus would not answer him. Pilate told Jesus that he had the power to crucify Him or to release Him. I love Jesus' response. He told Pilate in John 19:11:
"Thou couldest have no power at all against me
except it were given thee from above: therefore,
he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin."
Once again by these words let us know that He gave His life willingly and no man could take it away.

Joseph of Arimathaea asked for Jesus' body so he could bury Him. He was placed in a borrowed grave and a heavy stone was rolled in front of the opening.

On the first day of the week Mary Magdalene and others found the stone rolled away and His sepulchre empty. Later that day Jesus made Himself known to His people.
John 20:31 tells us why this happened and why it was recorded:
"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is
the Christ, the Son of God: and that believing ye might have
life through his name."

As we leave Thanksgiving behind and look forward to Christmas, let us thank our Lord for His death, burial, and resurection.
"Death cannot steal his prey,
He rolled the stone away,
Oh let me from this day,
Be wholey thine."

4 comments:

  1. Mrs. Boots - I used to wonder the same thing about "Good Friday." Now I understand.

    Pastor Chris talked this morning about it being "Thanksgiving" for the next 30 days - and we certainly do have a lot to be thankful for. Our Savior and Lord.

    Great Post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Barbara!!! I'm holding Pastor to his promise of celebrating Thanksgiving for 30 more days in December!!! :) And, Boots, I love the response Jesus gave to Pilate, "you have no authority except that which My Father gives you." I love it every time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The events recorded in these chapters just NEVER cease to amaze me!!! What Jesus endured and the sin He took upon Himself and WILLILNGLY just blows me away! I also chuckle everytime I read the part where John makes sure he lets all of us know that HE beat Peter to the tomb! :) Wonderful post as usual Ms. Boots! I am continuing to be thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever and ever a great story! This morning I'm thinking of the Matt Mahuer song- "oh, death, where is your sting! Oh, hell where is your victory! Oh, church, come stand in the light. Our God is not dead, He's alive! He's alive!" The Christmas season is the beginning of this great story. We do indeed have so much to continue to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete