Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Hardest Thing

OK ladies, I have to admit - I picked the "hardest thing" I read in these two chapters for me to do - Love your enemies. True confession? Absolutely - but I'm not proud of it!

In Luke 6:27, Jesus instructs us to love and to do good to our enemies, to those who detest and pursue us with hatred. I dare say that most of us do not have these kind of enemies - those that want to kill us or physically harm us. Thank heavens we don't meet those people every day! But enemies may include those who treat you unjustly. Enemies may be those who live under the same roof who day in and day out make life difficult for you, who betray you, or are mean to you. Jesus expects us to love these people. We are to pray for good things to be in their lives. We are to be kind to those people.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Treat people the way you would like to be treated - not the way they deserve to be treated. What if God treated us as we deserve? We'd all be doomed. But He has shown us grace, and now expects us, as his followers, to show that same grace to the world in His name.

Hatred and anger are powerful emotions - and when we allow them to rule our lives, we will not be able to yield to the love that God tells us we must display. And even though this is not easy - it is possible. And who makes it possible? Our Father. How can this be possible? Only through the Holy Spirit living in us. God not only makes it possible - He has shown us the way. He gave us His own example of loving at Calvary. Mocked, blasphemed, cursed - and what did Jesus do? He prayed for them: Father forgive them. Not only did He pray for them, but He gave an "excuse" to the Father on their behalf. Father, forgive them for they know not what they do!

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a master at addressing the subject of loving your enemies - he made it a life vocation. The following is an excerpt from a sermon that he gave in Alabama on Nov. 17, 1957 on the subject of loving your enemies:

And this is what Jesus means, I think, in this very passage when he says, "Love your enemy." And it's significant that he does not say, "Like your enemy." Like is a sentimental something, an affectionate something. There are a lot of people that I find it difficult to like. I don't like what they do to me. I don't like what they say about me and other people. I don't like their attitudes. I don't like some of the things they're doing. I don't like them. But Jesus says love them. And love is greater than like. Love is understanding, redemptive goodwill for all men, so that you love everybody, because God loves them. You refuse to do anything that will defeat an individual, because you have agape in your soul. And here you come to the point that you love the individual who does the evil deed, while hating the deed that the person does. This is what Jesus means when he says, "Love your enemy." . . .

This loving thing is not a "suggestion" nor is it a "recommendation." It's a real command. He expects us to do it. It's not easy. How can we learn to love our enemies and do good to those who mistreat us? How can we learn to bless those who curse us and to pray for those who use us? The word bless in the Greek is eulogeo (yoo-log-eh'-0), and it means to speak well of.

We must learn to pray for them and ask God to bless our enemies. Praying for those who do us wrong breaks the power of revenge and helps us to do good in the face of evil. God's love embraces saints and sinners alike. And because we are made "in the image of God," we must show kindness and mercy to those we think of as our "enemies." Because we are representatives of Christ, we must learn to love our enemies. We must understand how important it is to show our family resemblance to those that are unlovable in our eyes. Remember - love covers a multitude of sins.


5 comments:

  1. Whew! What a wake-up call today, Mrs. Barbara! You did a great job here, speaking right to the heart. For some reason, this particular season is a great time to hear this message. We all have those people in our lives who rub us the wrong way.....I like to call them "heavenly sandpaper". They just scour the ugly off of us, through God's hands, and make us more like Christ.

    I wonder if Jesus meant for us to love everyone.....all of them....Not just people who we can't seem to get along with, not just the ones who hurt us intentionally or otherwise, but criminals, and schemers, and the like. We should all prayerfully consider today, "Who are my enemies?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, you managed to hit me right between the eyes with your post. I to, find it very hard to love my enemies. When someone does me wrong, the first thing I want to do is to hurt them in some way. That is not what God instructs us to do. This post gives me some thoughts to ponder today. God help me to forgive my enemies and to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post Mrs. Barbara!! Give up the right to be angry and bitter. That is a message I have heard a lot of recently. God will handle it. Giving up the right to be angry is the act of handing our cares to God. It is a trust issue at the same time. When we are not angry we are much more free to act with love towards others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could remember exactly what verse tripped the switch in my head, but sometime during our reading recently, it hit me. Jesus tells us to love our enemies, because it's exactly what HE did. We were all at one time enemies of God- and God loved us enough to send His son, who loved us enough to die for us. We were loved as enemies. The least we can do is love the same. Though I admit...it's certainly not easy most of the time. I love your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. Barbara - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the picture at the end of your post!!! How adorable and a perfect compliment to your post as cats and dogs are kind of considered "classic" enemies. Your comment that WE do NOT get from God what we deserve just hit me fresh and anew today. That should be ALL that needs to be said to make us love our enemies. I have told my daughters and the young ladies I teach over and over...everyone is NOT going to be your best friend...you do not have to LIKE everybody but you must LOVE everybody! Fantastic post Mrs. Barbara!!!!

    ReplyDelete