Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Saturday, June 18, 2011

With friends like this who needs enemies?




Ladies - I know I sound like a broken record (for those of you who are old enough to know what a record is!), but I just must say again how incredibly blessed I have been by all of your amazing insights, your candid thoughts, and your heartfelt comments. As we are VERY close to reaching the half way mark, let me just say that you are to be commended for your perseverance (there's that word again!), your steadfast devotion, and your unwavering commitment to the Word of God. I hope that you have been blessed beyond measure by your devotion to this very SPECIAL endeavor!



Let me just say that I think Job's friends were doing just fine until they opened their mouths. I am really surprised they were able to keep their mouths shut for seven days. It seems as though they were building things up in their minds for all those days because when those seven days were up, they were ready to unload what was on their minds! We have already seen the first speech that Eliphaz said in chapters 4 and 5 and Job's response to that in chapter 6. Then in chapter 8 we see his second friend, Bildad, start his "case" against Job. His basic argument against Job and the reason for all of this suffering was that whatever had come upon Job or his children has to be right because God does not pervert justice. IF Job will just simply heed his advice, he will remember that the wicked and evil do not endure and that God will restore Job. IF he is truly blameless, God will surely restore Job (ESV study notes). The reasoning against Job by his friends is just so self-righteous and cold. IF what they are saying against Job is true, then why is none of what is happening to Job happening to them? After all, God specifically "suggested" to Satan His servant Job who was "a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil." God did NOT suggest any of his friends for Satan to attack, but Job himself. So, ironically, what the friends are saying to Job applies more to themselves than to Job!



I think we can learn just as much from Job's friends about what we are NOT to do as we can from Job about what we ARE to do! As has been stated in previous posts on this book, sitting in silence with a friend who is suffering can be the most comforting and loving thing we can do. NOT trying to give "pat" answers to those who are hurting and NOT trying to make them feel better is most of the time the best form of comfort we can give them! Let me also add that trying to pretend like the tragedy did NOT happen is also a mistake for those who are in pain. NOT saying something thinking that if we do not say anything the person will not start hurting because we won't be bringing it up is a mistake too. It is on that person's mind all the time! Especially if the tragic event has recently occurred! Letting them know you have not forgotten what has happened to them is so refreshing to that hurting person because they will know that you have not just moved on and put behind you all that happened to them. I cannot tell you how many of my friends have said thank you to me for asking them about how they are doing and for NOT pretending as though everything is just fine. I think Job's friends would have done well to remember the statement in the above picture! So, the next time we find ourselves trying to comfort a loved one that is hurting, let's remember the GOOD example Job set and the NOT SO GOOD example Job's friends set!





5 comments:

  1. Mindy - great minds think alike - I had thought of your title - "With friends like these . . ." myself and chuckled when I read yours today. You are correct - and great post.

    Job's friends thought they were "helping" but heaping guilt upon him and trying to answer the big "why" just wasn't the best thing for them to try and do. Sometimes hurting people just need to "talk" and let you be silent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great title, indeed :) And, I like that you discussed what good friend ARE vs. what they ARE NOT.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. True friends listen and accept you for who you are at any time. I have always heard the saying "to have a friend you must be a friend." I try to live by that saying with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela - I can attest to the fact that you DO live by that saying. You are an amazing friend and a true friend and you live this out everyday!!! I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed...I can't imagine being confronted with the things these people are saying to Job on a good day. Much less like one he had! It makes me think about a billion times before I open my mouth...

    ReplyDelete