Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

It's not the What, but the Who.

Everyone loves a mystery right? As long as it doesn't involve us directly. We want to try and solve it from the outside looking in. As a little girl I loved the game "Clue." Mrs. Peacock, with the wrench in the conservatory!
When we have a little mystery in our own lives, the process of solving it isn't always so much fun. We often focus on the "what's" of our situation. What did I do to make this happen? What is the sum of the damage? And then the all-important, "What can I do to fix this?" Job's friends focused a lot on this side of things. They told him over and over again WHAT he had done wrong and WHAT he needed to do to fix things.
In chapter 23, Job finds some refuge with the WHO in the situation.

If only I knew where to find him; if only I could go to his dwelling!
There an upright man could present his case before him,
and I would be delivered from my judge.
But if I go to the east, he is not there;
if I go to the west, I do not find him.
When he is at work in the north, I do not see him;
when he turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of him.
But he knows the way that I take;
when he has tested me I will come forth as gold.
My feet have closely followed his steps;
I have kept to his way without turning aside.
I have not departed from the commands of his lips;
I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.
Job 23:3, 7-12

In the mysteries of our lives, Satan would like to force us to take on the guilt of them. To weigh us down with judgement. To make us feel like we failed somehow, or that God has judged us, found us wanting, and cast us out. Job correctly realized that God was going to be the only righteous judge. The only one WHO knew the truth of his heart, and could judge him accordingly. He knew he would not be condemned. We have a who as well, Christ Jesus, WHO made sure by his death on the cross that we would not be condemned. Don't let Satan convince you otherwise!

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish it's work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
James 1:2-4

"when he has tested me I will come forth as gold."

...he who began a good work in you
will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
Phil 1:6

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Heb 11:1

It's WHO we have faith in to complete the good work in us. Do you have faith in God, through Jesus, or yourself? Are you certain that God can use your trials to bring you what you hope for, perhaps can't even see now? Do you believe that He will finish the work He started in you? Even if you can't or don't, do like Job did and closely follow His steps. Keep to His way without turning aside. Trust in Him. Keep searching for Him.

3 comments:

  1. You know what's neat about this? The Holy Spirit is speaking to each of our hearts, and moving us toward Himself. The post today, echoes the post from yesterday, and the day before, and the day before.....

    The world tries to convince us that we're all on our OWN journey in some kind of rat race to "find ourselves" or even a competition of sorts to see who can gain the most before the finish line?? We are all traveling together, on this pilgrim road. And, it's NOT ourselves we're looking for...it's HIM we're seeking! As Natalie so eloquently stated, "Are you certain that God can use your trials to bring you what you hope for...Do you believe...??"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie, you brought out a great point. We do focus on the "whats" of a situation and we do ask "What can I do to fix this?" The biggest problem with that question is the "I" in it. Like Jaybrena talked about, the world believes we must be concerned with our self before anything else and that we are on our own. I am so thankful that we are not alone in this race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie - I loved your questions at the end of your post. Some VERY thought provoking questions to really think about. I also loved the verses you put in your post from James. Some of my most favorites in the New Testament! Jaybrena - I also like how you pointed out how our posts are just flowing together so wonderfully because of the work of the Holy Spirit. SO TRUE!!!

    ReplyDelete