Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Wisdom - Where Shall We Find It?

Poor Job, he has talked and argued and discussed and listened, but is getting no where with these "friends" of his. I think he finally cut Bildad off, don't you? He was tired of listening to all of them rant and rave and decided "enough is enough." He doesn't need any more of their advice. It didn't help anyway. I don't blame him. He has nothing more to say to them.


They are still inferring that he has some secret and "heinous" sin that he is hiding and that is why he is in such a fix - as Terry pointed out - physically, mentally, materially, and spiritually. Job declares he will never confess a sin that he has not committed. None of us are sinless, but because of the Lord's mercy, He provides a way for us to confess our sins, and He is faithful and just to forgive them.


Job's Integrity - Job says in Chapter 27 that he will not deny his integrity. Who do you know that has integrity and holds fast to it? Who do you picture in your mind? What are they like? I like that word integrity - and I admire people that cling to it. No matter how they are tempted or what trials come into their lives, they don't lose their perspective. They hold firm to a code of moral conduct and ethics. They shun evil. My father was a man of integrity, and I greatly admired him.


Job's Question - Now we get to the heart of the matter. Where can wisdom be found? asks Job. He declares the power of God in creation and talks about the deep secrets hidden in the earth of precious stones, silver, and gold. Wisdom is of the highest value, but we cannot purchase it. Though we can tunnel through the earth and reap great riches and wealth, nowhere can true wisdom be found. Can we find wisdom by observing and experiencing life? Can we inherit wisdom from our families? Or purchase it from some great storehouse?




In verse Job 28:24 we find the answer. God understands the way to it, and he alone knows where it dwells . . . He said to man, 'the fear of the Lord - that is wisdom and to shun evil is understanding.' We must know good from evil and live accordingly. If you are in awe of God and reverence Him, will you not try and live a life that is pleasing to him? James 3:13-18 says But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Proverbs 1:7 reminds us that The fear (reverence) of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.


Here are the rays of light that reflect outwardly from a life wherein

God is truly feared. Honor, wonder and worship, radical obedience,

passionate pursuit, righteous living - all are attributes of a heart

who truly fears God. (Larry Kennedy)

Would someone recognize that you "fear God" from observing your life? May the rays from our lives reflect His light - and that light is Jesus, the Light of the world.

5 comments:

  1. Can I admit that I didn't know the book of Job was this long?? :-) I love Job's answer in chapter 26.....it made me stop and think about where he is in all this. He is declaring his own frailty, and God's majesty and sovereignty, but we all know that very soon it will be the other way around.

    I often wonder when I'm praying, and telling God about how wonderful He is if He sometimes wants to reply, "you don't know the half of it sweet girl"........I wonder if Job was telling all he knew of God's wonder...at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Mrs. Barbara! I have wondered as I've been reading Job if I could be as confident of my own innocence. I think it's interesting to note that my study bible stated that Job didn't state he was sinless, but that his conscience was clear. He had faith in God's forgiveness when he confessed and repented. My study bible also listed out places that the different "friends" said wisdom came from- Eliphaz said it came from his own observations, Bildad said it came from the men of the past and the last guy Zophar, actually stated that wisdom came from the wise. He based his source on none other than himself. I love Job's speech here. God is the only true source of wisdom. And James 3:13-18 are some of my favorite verses!
    (Jaybrena, I've thought a few times that "surely we must be close to the end of Job." Here we are, just a little over half way through! At least the chapters are fairly short....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Barbara, great post! I love the part about integrity. This is what I want to be like: "No matter how they are tempted or what trials come into their lives, they don't lose their perspective."

    ReplyDelete
  4. May God give each of us a portion of wisdom and integrity that Job had as we continue to read through the Bible. There are times when I read a chapter than I just say "HUh, What did he say?" and I have to read it again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your picture at the end Mrs. Barbara!!! And one of my most fervent prayers is that my life DOES reflect the fear of the Lord!! I also love the way you pulled in some verses from the book of James just like Natalie did. I am with you all on the length of the book of Job. Hang in there though as the end packs a punch straight from the Lord Himself! Integrity - such an important attribute but so rare in these times we live in. When I hear that word my husband immediately comes to mind. I have seen over and over and over his integrity come shining through in some VERY difficult situations! Great post Mrs. Barbara!!

    ReplyDelete