Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My Redeemer Lives

“My spirit is broken, my days are cut short, the grave awaits me.” Job 17:1 Chapter 17 is the continued part of Job’s fifth reply to his “miserable comforters.” In this text we see Job getting to a real place of brokenness.
Job was giving up hope on his life but not on his God. The faith of this man amazes me. Through all the attacks of his own friends he still believes in a just and faithful God. He gives good argument with his friends. His friends were trying to convince him that he had brought this on himself. Bildad and Zophar are like so many of us. Doesn’t it make sense that when you sin you get punished and when you do good you get rewarded? When will we learn that it is not our actions that save us but only through the blood of Jesus Christ can we be saved? When will we learn that sometimes our suffering is to purify our hearts, to make us more like Him? Be careful when someone is suffering not to assume the cause.

In the midst of his plea for pity from his friends Job affirms his confidence in his God. “I know my redeemer lives...” He expected just judgement from God and he expected to see God even if it took a miracle. His so-called friends had passed judgement on him but he knew that their judgement meant nothing compared to the judgement of God. Job was confident that God is merciful and he believed his redeemer was alive and in control.

5 comments:

  1. These verses today reminded me of the old hymn "I Know that My Redeemer Liveth." We don't sing that anymore at all, but I have always loved the words. Sometimes in life I'm sure that is all we can count on and rely on and keep repeating to ourselves.

    ". . .and on the earth again shall stand; I know eternal life he giveth, that grace and power are in his hand." What comfort and assurance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminded me of that song also and the song, "He Lives." When I was younger these songs were sung every Easter. I like the new songs but I do wish the old songs wasn't kicked to the curb and forgotten about. There was some real good music and good words in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "When will we learn that sometimes our suffering is to purify our hearts, to make us more like Him? Be careful when someone is suffering not to assume the cause." Strong words, my friend :) Love it! It's running along the same lines my heart is led while reading Job....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thankful that, as you said Amy, "it is not our actions that save us but only the blood of Jesus Christ,. " Thankfully, our Redeemer Lives! And I also think I've heard more than a few cautions in my own heart regarding others suffering- and my attitude toward my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post really packed a punch Amy!!! I, like Jaybrena, really liked the words that she quoted from your post. Some very, very true words Amy and ones that we would be wise to take to heart!!! Thanks for your direct, honest words today Amy...I needed to hear them!!

    ReplyDelete