Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, June 13, 2011

Lasting Impact

Do you think about what legacy or impact you are going to leave with people? Maybe it's because I'm getting older, maybe because we have been reading about these patriarchs of the Bible, maybe because my husband and I are raising our son... but I have been thinking more and more about this lately. Leaving a legacy can mean so many different things - positive, negative, and everywhere in between. In terms of leaving a spiritual legacy, this can be a life changing, eternal impact on someone's life. What a huge responsibility and privilege we have!

Nehemiah's prayer was to "Remember me for this.... Remember me with favor." What a wonderful example for us of a sincere, humble, heart-felt prayer! Nehemiah left a legacy for the Israelites and for us today. He believed he was doing the right things and was praying that his actions would be glorifying to God. Nehemiah was an honorable man who had credibility with those around him, who sought God, obeyed God, and held others accountable to do the same.

Nehemiah's leadership clearly impacted the lives of the Israelites at that time and for MANY years to come. Proof is evident today as we are studying his life and learning from him. Nehemiah spent countless hours and days leading others to rebuild the wall and orchestrate a dedication ceremony so the Israelites could honor God and celebrate. He then left for a period of time and returned to his cup-bearer job with King Artaxerxes. However, his heart was not far from Jerusalem. He later returned to Jerusalem to straighten out some things. He rebuked the officials for poor behavior and bad decisions and again worked to restore the house of God.

As I was reading these chapters, I was struck at how many of the historical "practices" we still have today:
  • Documentation of family history and lineage
  • Dedication ceremonies for new buildings
  • Responsive reading in worship (I'm reminded of my Methodist heritage)
  • Worship services with specific order and structure
  • Management and responsibility for resources of the house of God
  • Leadership holding people accountable for godly behavior
  • Choirs, songs of thanksgiving, and musical instruments
As difficult as this is to remember on a daily basis, our seemingly small decisions impact the legacy we will leave on those around us. I pray I am conscious and faithful to make godly decisions that will draw those around me closer to God!

Responsive Reading - From Psalm 139

Leader: O LORD, You have searched me and know me.
Response: You know my sitting down and my rising up.
Leader: You understand my deepest thoughts.
Response: You know where I play and where I rest.
Leader: You have full knowledge of what I like and dislike.
Response: I cannot even speak a word without You knowing it before it comes out of my mouth.
Leader: You have place a guard to protect me on all sides.
Unison: Your love for me is more than I can understand!

6 comments:

  1. The sermon our family heard last night mentioned the legacy behind us and legacy before us.....it was on my mind as I read today's chapters. The godly leaders who we have the privilege of serving with will challenge us to stay the course, just as Nehemiah did.

    I also identify with the list of practices that we still find traces of in society today, such as the jobs each one of the worshipers had. The responsive reading, but similarly the reading together in school and church. This is powerful stuff!!! One year for Father's Day, I helped the children memorize Psalm 139 and recite it together for Daddy. It is still one of the richest blessings of our lives together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a meaningful post Terry. Thank you. I can just hear the two choirs singing on top of the walls and listen with joy at the singing and music. I love that.

    I have often thought about the legacy I will be leaving to my children and grandchildren as well. I hope they will not just remember that "Granny loved dogs." I pray they will remember most of all that I loved the Lord.

    By the way, I had no idea that the "Wednesday" rule was still in effect for some sports. That's great. Actually the petition was started by our choir director at church at the time, and we all fell in behind with gathering names for the petition. We can make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Terry. I to wonder what kind of legacy I will leave. We have often talked about that in church when we see people serving God and what a rich and good legacy they are leaving for their family. My children all go to different churches but I have told them that the most important thing as we all serve the same God and no matter which church you go to their is only one way to gain salvation and that is through the blood of our Lord and Savior. If I can claim only a small part of training them in the right way, I will be happy with the legacy I leave behind.

    For those of you who are interested, I did add another comment to my post regarding Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry-The legacy my husband and I leave our children and grandchildren has been a topic close to our hearts. We strive to set Christian examples towards our family members and friends. When our children, family members and friends seek our guidance or advice about situations we point them to Biblical scriptures that are relevant to their situations. Terry, I just loved your comment about "...spiritual legacy, this can be a life changing, eternal impact on someone's life." Isn't that what we should be concerned about-spiritual things? Lord, help me to be a witness for you at home, school, in the various marketplaces; in the small and big situations. I want to continuously humble myself before the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Boots - let me assure you that you will leave an AMAZING legacy of loving the Lord and loving others! You are an amazing woman and an incredible example of what it means to be the Daughter of the King! For that matter ladies, this could be said about each and every one of you because I see the lives you live and the legacy you ALL will leave behind will impact this world for ALL eternity!

    The leaving a legacy thing has been really strong on my mind as well Terry. I think it is because I am getting older and having a cronic disease puts you in touch with your mortality VERY quickly! The Bible I am reading through this year is called "The Legacy Bible". It is really pertinent to leaving a legacy as it has places all through it to journal to the person you are leaving it to about different things about your Christian walk, how God did things in your life, and about your relationship with Him and other people in your life. I am leaving this one to my oldest daughter and then I am planning on doing it again next year for my youngest daughter. I also tell people all the time to PLEASE tell people at my funeral how much I am crazy in love with Jesus and to tell my husband how wildly in love with him I have always been. So, just in case God calls me home soon :), please know how much I love ALL of you and how much you ALL mean to me. Thank you for your love and your examples that have changed my life and the lives of many others for ALL eternity!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why I love this blog!! I love discovering that people besides me think about what legacy they leave. I worry about the example I set. Just last night I was stressing about some careless words spoken at work. My mouth. It truly is a restless evil. I think about my legacy in reference not to just what I "preach" but in what I actually live out. People pay SO MUCH attention. Nehemiah had to be above reproach. Our legacies aren't just written on holidays and at church functions. They are written on a minute by minute basis. God forbid that what one person remembers about me forever is cemented from a low moment. That is so hard to overcome. God knows, I've had plenty of those. God help me leave a legacy for you. You surely know that you are the only one who can accomplish it!!

    ReplyDelete