Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

God is Great

As we resume our story of Job in Chapter 35, Elihu is still talking. He has waited until they all had spoken because they were older than he. His anger was kindled against Job because he justified himself rather than God and also against the three men because they had no answers. He is talking to both Job and his friends when he ask them if they think their righteousness is more than God's.

He is telling them the greatness of God and in Chapter 36:11-12 he says; "If they obey and serve Him, they shall spend their days in prosperity and their years in pleasure but if they obey not, they shall perish by the sword and they shall die without knowledge." We read these words and may think that although we serve God we do not live in prosperity. We are thinking of material things; a nice house, a big car, lots of money in the bank, etc. We may not have riches here on earth but we are heirs to the King who owns it all who is preparing for us a mansion in glory. So, yes, I am rich indeed.

In Chapter 37 Elihu tells Job to consider the wondrous works of God. Everything on this earth was made by God and God controls everything. God even controls the drops of rain that fall to the earth and their size. Elihu ask them question after question of do they not know how great God is and the work he does. Sometimes we tend to forget God's greatness when all we have to do is step outside to see God's greatness all around us. I love to go outside and smell the grass and the flowers, to hear the birds sing, or to see the stars shine in the dark of night. All these things was given to us by God to enjoy yet sometimes we fail to even notice them.

I know that I need to quit thinking about all the "have nots" and start thinking more of the "haves." I have been blessed my God. I have a Savior that loves me so much that He died for me and has made a place for me with Him for all eternity. While I am here on this earth I have a wonderful family who I dearly love and they love me. I belong to the family of God and enjoy being with them. I have a roof over my head and food to eat and clothes to wear. Could I ask for more? Oh no, I am blessed beyond measure. I may go through hard times and things may look bad as I am sure they did to Job but I know that God will always be there for me.

In these verses, we might be tempted to say Elihu is right, but in all these things God is trying to show not just Job, his friends and Elihu, but us as well who He is. He is not bound by our thinking. He is not bound by our doctrine. Elihu and Job's friends had the idea that since Job was suffering, he must have sinned. Suffering is not always the result of sin, just as Jesus pointed out to His disciples in John 9:1-3. Just as then, we are always tempted to see our negative circumstances as absence of God's blessings. It is not always the case, so times it is simply that we may glorify Him.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post Mrs. Boots! We certainly do need to think more about the "haves" in our lives instead of the "have nots." While reading this I noticed they talked a lot about how God was too far above their understanding and that no one could know him. And while there are certain things about God we will never be able to understand and comprehend, I love that He did make himself known to us! Jesus came to show us God. Now we have the Holy Spirit and the Bible to help us know Him even more. It amazes me that the God of heaven and earth would go through so much trouble. He is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Boots - thanks for the much needed reminder to NOT take things for granted. We have a big tendency to get so busy that we do not take the time to look around us and see God's glory in nature and in ourselves and our lives. We also have a tendency to take our loved ones for granted. Unfortunately, it is sometimes not until after they are gone that we realize how much we love them and appreciate them! Someone told me a fantastic acronym for BUSY - Being Under Satan's Yoke - how true is that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Concentrate on the "haves"....... will do! :)

    ReplyDelete