Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Meditations on the Psalms


Ladies, I have to admit that I have had a hard time deciding how to post on the Psalms! I thought it would be "easy." But I'm finding that it is more difficult for me than the history of the children of Israel or even the book of Job! Should I take each Psalm assigned for my day and go through them one by one; should I pick out one Psalm and relate it to everyday usage - how should I go about posting on these beautiful hymns and thoughts of wisdom?



I love the Psalms - they display every emotion you can think of - praise, worship, thanksgiving, awe, and on the other side - worry, guilt, sin, trouble, complaints. Where do we begin? So, I've decided to pick the lines from each Psalm that stood out and spoke to me as I read them. Maybe this will be different for each of you - and if so, please be sure and let us know what is on your heart today. I'm hoping that some verse will touch you today - you are more than welcome to jump right in with me.



Psalm 9 - The Lord . . . is a stronghold in the times of trouble. What a verse to hang your hat on! We all have "times of trouble" and what a blessing to remember that the Lord is our stronghold. I looked up the word "stronghold" in the Strong's Concordance - the meaning - a high cliff, a refuge, a tower. In other words a place to run to and a place of great safety.



Psalm 10 - But you, O God, do see trouble and grief, you consider it to take it in hand. Another verse to remember when grief and trouble come into our lives. Remember the title to that old song - Nobody knows the trouble I've seen? Well, God does. Sometimes we may feel like God is hidden, but be assured that God does see and knows all about what you are going through. He never leaves us nor forsakes us as is promised in the scriptures.


Psalm 11 - The Lord is in his holy temple. God has not moved. He is still in control. Nothing surprises him. What assurance that God is always there - waiting and watching and loving us. When you feel like running - run to God.



Psalm 12 - Because of the oppression of the weak . . . I will now arise, says the Lord. The weak and poor we will always have with us. All you have to do is look around, even in Griffin, GA. We are Christ's hands and feet, and so we have work to do. Help the homeless and downtrodden, feed the poor, comfort the weak, and clothe the naked. He's waiting on us to do His will. As Pastor Chris talked about this past Sunday, we are saved to serve.



Psalm 13 - I will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me. Each one of us can say that with thankfulness and joy. Maybe we don't have a beautiful solo voice (like Amy), but we can at least "sing" in our hearts and in our prayers to God for his blessings - for His grace and mercy and our salvation. I can hear your songs already - sounds beautiful to me!!




Psalm 14 - The fool has said in his heart, there is no God. What a sad sentence. How disturbing. I wonder "why?" Can they not see God in every part of creation, the birds that sing, a beautiful rainbow, the waves of the ocean, the misty mountains, or a newborn baby? Creation cries out that there is a Maker. We have talked about "wisdom" from the book of Job - the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Let's start there.



Psalm 15 - Who shall dwell in your holy hill? I think I memorized this Psalm in 4th grade. (And, yes, we memorized scripture in public school "back then." Can you imagine??) This Psalm goes on to tell us "how to live" pleasing to God - walk uprightly, speak the truth, do not slander, shun evil, fear the Lord, do not take bribes. Good reminders and thoughts on daily living.



Psalm 16 - You will show me the path of life, in Your presence is fullness of joy. At your right hand there are pleasures for evermore. Joy is different from happiness. In this life we will have trials, sickness, trouble, but if we rely on God and put our trust in Him, the joy of the Lord will always be there inside of us - a peace - a comfort - a presence.



Peter quoted portions of this Psalm in Acts 2:25-31 and interpreted it to Jesus' resurrection. Jesus Christ was not deserted in death and his body did not decay, but God raised him up on the third day. And as the song testifies, because He lives, I can face tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Mrs. Barbara - I think you did a FANTASTIC job with your post!!! I LOVE the way you organized it and broke down your thoughts on each chapter! I have been deliberating the same things as you in preparation for my post this week as far as how exactly to present it and I REALLY enjoyed the way this post was done! WOW - you actually had to memorize Scripture in public school?!?!? How far we have fallen indeed!!! I also wanted to make one more comment about joy versus happiness. It took me a LONG time to really figure out and understand the difference between the two and what this had to do exactly with Jesus. But now that I have figured it out, it makes PERFECT sense! It is such a relief that we do not have to allow our circumstances to determine our joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Mindy! No one can steal our joy. I place my heart and soul in the Lord regardless of my circumstances in thus I have perfect peace and joy in Him! Psalm 16 really spoke to me. Yes, we all face trials, struggles, and problems in this life, but God can take care of it all. I listened to a powerful Jeremy Camp song titled "Overcome". WOW!!! What a testimony!!!

    ReplyDelete