Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Friday, October 21, 2011

What if I Say "Yes" to Him???

I love to learn new things. I love to increase my knowledge. However, I don't like to be wrong. And sometimes learning something new means that you will find out you've been wrong. It's a risk I'm willing to take. There's something about opening God's word that almost makes me hold my breath in anticipation! What will He say? Or more importantly to my walk, What will I say?? Invariably, God speaks to me and I have a choice to make....

John, the Baptist, said "Yes." He seemed to be strange....strange choice of home, strange clothes, strange diet, strange hair.....he even had a strange message. John's message: "Repent! For the kingdom of God is at hand!" He told the people that God could raise sons of Abraham from stones. He told them that he baptizes with water but One is coming Who will baptize with Holy Spirit and Fire. He baptized many, many people and even had disciples. Jesus, Himself, said of John, "Among those born of women, there has not arisen one greater." Wow! John must have been some kind of man! What did it get him?

Are you willing to be strange for Him?

To those who say "Yes" to Him, He gives rest. Jesus rebuked the cities where His word was proclaimed yet they did not repent, and follows it with a reminder that His yoke is easy and His burden is light. I have often felt burdened and worn down. It was during these times that I realized the burdens I had were not of God....they were heavy and hard. Sometimes we have to reevaluate life and our commitments. He gives us strength for the things we are called to do, His yoke, His burden. Only Jesus can give true rest.

To others who say "Yes" to Him, He gives sight and speech. They receive peace, rather than troubling spirits who torment them day and night. Jesus said that a tree is known by it's fruit. He says that we are not to judge, but that we can know the truth. What is the truth of the fruit you produce, today? What about your speech? "For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of" and we will all give account. Jesus also said that His nearest relations are His disciples. These are His family, more than His own flesh and blood?? Yes. Those who are born again are born into His family. We have a whole new bloodline when we accept Him. Jesus gives new sight and new speech to all who follow Him.

Those who say, "Yes" to Him receive a blessing of measure untold. Those who ask for signs to confirm their faith are given miracles, because they believe. The Pharisees didn't believe, they asked for signs of power from a heart of pride. They criticized from unscriptural rules for "working on the Sabbath", to bring condemnation and death. Christ brings the opposite, approval and life. Jesus saw right through their questions. To say "Yes" to Him means that I may be criticized for decisions I make, or roads I choose, but those are temporal. The blessing of following Him is measureless.

What blessings we receive when we say "Yes" to our God. As strange as it seems to say "Yes" to Him.....I'm scared to death to say "No." I don't want to miss a moment with Him!

5 comments:

  1. "His yoke is easy and His burden is light." Those verses are ones that I struggled with for many years, very similarly to what you described Jaybrena. I felt more weighed down by God and all I felt I had to do than lightened. Part of that had to do with learning to grow up, and part of it had to do with putting more burdens on myself than God did. Now it's a verse I recite to myself when I feel burdened to remind myself that I need to reprioritize, edit, or leave a few things with God. He truly does provide rest for us if we follow Him and say "yes" to Him. Excellent post Jaybrena. These chapters were just packed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love John's question - "Are you the one?" Haven't we all asked that question of Jesus before we believed!!

    "Yes, Lord, Yes, Lord, Yes" - there's a song for that too Jaybrena! Loved your post today - a wonderful job of describing these chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "you will find rest for your souls"... I love to claim that one too. I wish I remembered it more :) I have also learned that His burden is light and mine are the heavy ones!

    I love Jesus' insight into the Pharisees thoughts and his every so wise questions back to them. He called "a spade a spade", didn't he?

    The other verse that jumped out at me was: "For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of." That's what I'm going to ponder today.

    Your post was very well done, Jaybrena. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of my younger days. Things was not going to good for me and I prayed, "Lord, you said that you would never give us more than we can handle. Well things are pretty heavy right now and I need help." I no more than said Amen than I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I felt like God was telling me that He was there to help me carry the load. I am so glad that He is there for us when our load seems to heavy. Jaybrena you did a great job and thanks for reminding us that He will see us through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What Jesus says to us about giving us rest and that His burden is light has given me comfort more times than I can ever recall. In our Wednesday night class we are learning about our fear of what the Holy Spirit may ask us to do should we fully surrender our lives to Him...if we say "YES" to Him. I am really struggling with this fear as I am not so sure I want to know what the Holy Spirit really wants me to do. What if He asks me to do something that takes me out of my "comfort zone"? I want to say "Yes!" because I want to hear Him say "Well done my good and faithful servant."! Please help me to overcome this fear Lord!!!

    ReplyDelete