Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, October 3, 2011

Lessons From Daniel

I have to admit that my mind spins when I try to absorb the details of these visions and the interpretations of them.  I am having a hard time relating, so I decided to look for some specific reasons God used Daniel in such a powerful way.  Here goes...

Daniel fasted.
We have been learning about fasting and prayer in recent weeks at Oak Hill.  In chapter 10 of Daniel, we see a great example of fasting by Daniel.  He fasted for a set period of time (3 weeks) and refrained from choice foods, meat, wine, and lotions.  The purpose of this time was for Daniel to mourn and seek God's understanding of the revelation about a great war.

Daniel stood alone.
In verse 10:7, we learn that when God revealed to Daniel the vision of a man, Daniel was with other people.  Those people could not see the vision, but they feared... feared what?  I wonder what they sensed, felt, or possibly heard.  Or were they just reacting to Daniel?  I wonder if they feared simply because the Lord was present.  Even though the others left, Daniel stayed and listened because he knew he was called to.

Daniel listened.
Through fasting, he had prepared himself to receive the understanding from God.  He was humbled ("I bowed with my face to the ground and was speechless") and obedient ("I stood up trembling").  He spoke only when the man of his vision touched his lips.

Daniel relied on God's strength.
Daniel mentions several times chapter 10 that he had no strength.  Daniel was encouraged by God.  Through this vision of a man, God tells Daniel, "you who are highly esteemed."  That's my kind of encouragement!  Through these words, Daniel was strengthened.

Through this vision that God gave to Daniel, we hear of kings pursuing greatness for themselves through lying, stealing, flattery, building great armies, and lifting themselves up to a status of their gods.  Mixed in these descriptions of end times, God conveys that the corrupt "last days" are only for a little while.  The vain efforts of selfish, worldly leaders are futile and result in destruction.  This is comforting to me and a reminder that this earth with it's worldly leaders is not my home.  In contrast to the destruction of the kings and their efforts, God promises that His people will be delivered. He knows His children are not perfect, but gives us these promises to claim:

"Some of the wise will stumble, 
so that they may be refined, purified and made spotless
until the time of the end, for it will still come at the appointed time."
~Daniel 11:35

"Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, 
and those who lead many to righteousness, 
like the starts for ever and ever."
~Daniel 12:3

Lord, help me to remember that this earth is not my home.  Help me to place my trust in you and to keep my eyes on spending eternity with you.  Continue to refine and purify me.  Thank you for Daniel, his obedience, willingness to be used by you, and the lessons we've learned through him.  May we follow Daniel's example and press on in our walks with you during this short time so we will finish strong!

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Terry. I am amazed at the songs that come to my mind as we read through the Bible. Tonight it was "This world is not my home" and "Dare to be a Daniel." I am so glad that this world is not my home, we have so much more to look forward to in our heavenly home. While Daniel prophesied on some things that have happened already(showing his accuracy), he also prophesied of things to come. What a wonderful home our Lord is preparing for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry - you do such a wonderful job with your posts! I just love the angle at which you approached these chapters. I always find it interesting to see how people become very weak physically when they encounter an angel or even God Himself. I know that Daniel had been fasting, but any time I feel the Holy Spirit very strongly upon me, I too get weak and my blood sugar will actually drop on me. AMAZING!!! I too am SO, SO, SO glad this world is NOT my home! I am also glad that we do not live to be 600 years old anymore. I would NOT want to be here that long! I long SO MUCH to be with Jesus NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry, that was a great post on some hard chapters!! I was impressed with the discussion about the "princes" and Michael being assigned to "Daniel's people." There is a spiritual war being waged all around us.

    ReplyDelete