Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Jesus Enters Jerusalem


Today we begin with a parable. This parable about the workers in a vineyard really stirs some thoughts. The story is that a landowner hires some workers early in the morning and makes an agreement of their days wages. A little later he hires more to work. Then a little later he hires more to work and even later still he hires some more workers. Then it is time to get paid. They all received the same wages. What?! Is this fair? Well in terms of your reward of being with God for eternity there is no amount of work to earn that. I have to admit that given the situation in this story I can relate to those workers that worked all day. It is hard not to give in to the temptation to complain about what is fair in life. The parable is not really about wages or what you have earned. It is about salvation and God’s generosity. Some may live their whole lives for Christ and some may turn to him in the last moments of life. We should all be cheering for anyone to turn to God at any time, because no matter how much work we do for the Lord we still do not deserve his grace.

Did anyone else feel a little embarrassed for James and John’s mother who was asking for her sons to be at the right and left of the King? Jesus tried to tell her and the boys that they had no idea what they were asking. They are basically asking for a high position in the kingdom. Jesus then explains that to be great, you must be willing to serve.

Chapter 21 begins with the Triumphal Entry. Jesus had already predicted his death and resurrection for the third time and now he was heading into Jerusalem to get things underway fulfilling prophecy the whole way. (Daniel 9:24-26 and Zechariah 9:9-10)
“ Hosanna to the Son of David!
‘ Blessed is He who comes in the name of the LORD!’
Hosanna in the highest!”
This was the their cries. “Hosanna,” which basically means the answer to a cry for salvation. A close literal translation would be “Salvation has come!” Jesus caused quite a stir entering the city and then he goes over to the temple and really shook things up. He was angry at the greedy marketers using the temple as a place to make their fortune.

I have always loved to read the way Jesus responded to people. His authority was questioned by the chief priests and scribes as he was teaching. They wanted to know who he thought he was. Where did he get the authority to do the things he did? Jesus just answered with another question. I love how the men seem to have a little huddle time before answering. Jesus knew their hearts and he knew they wouldn’t want to answer his question about John the Baptist.

The last part of our reading is The Parable of the Wicked Vinedressers. The vineyard refers to the kingdom of God. The landowner is God and the wicked vinedressers refers to the leaders of Israel who were rejecting the very Son of God. Jesus states that because they have rejected the truth, the kingdom of God will be given to another nation that bears fruit. This made the chief priests and Pharisees very angry. They really wanted to take Jesus down at that moment but was afraid of the crowd who loved him.

There will always be opposition to Christ. Many, will reject him as the Savior/Messiah. He is the only way to the Father and many want to find another way into heaven. Something that wouldn’t cost so much of them. Father, help us to be servants for your kingdom. Give us strength and humility to travel the narrow road as we follow you.

5 comments:

  1. I believe I would be madder than a wet hen if I worked all day for the same wages that someone else made for working way less time than I did. But Jesus was talking about Salvation and ever since the thief on the cross asked Jesus to remember him in His kingdom people have been saved on their death bed. Instead of being mad, I rejoyce in this. As long as they are still breathing they can receive the gift of salvation and as long as we are still breathing, God can use us for his glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story about the landowner and the wages hit me afresh today. Everything in me wants to scream "that's not fair!!" and in reality- it isn't, it's a sign of Gods grace. I have to remember all the blessings I get from God on a daily basis in THIS life, not just for eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there, Natalie.....something deep inside of me says that I have to make things "fair." Whether serving ice cream to children, or choosing gifts for loved ones, or planning vacations, or whatever, I attempt to keep things as fair as possible. But you know what??? I'm so glad God doesn't give me what I deserve. I'm so glad He gives me the things I didn't earn. I'm forever thankful for His love for me.

    And, Amy, I have to laugh when I see Jesus answer questions with questions. This used to annoy the fire outta me when people in my life would do this to me! Now I see that response as wisdom, not avoidance. Sometimes the wisdom of others annoys us to the point of searching for our own dose of wisdom, huh? :) Thank you for a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy - LOVED your post!!! I never knew what the word "Hosanna" meant. I found that VERY interesting and kind of feel like "duh", I should have known that!!! I am also thankful for Jesus' example of Godly anger that Jesus displayed when He turned over the tables in the temple. If we know the heart of God then what makes Him angry should make us angry! Another interesting thing that I have heard is that donkey's have a "cross" on their backs since Jesus rode on one into Jerusalem. When He enters Jerusalem again, He will NOT be on a donkey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. About James and John's mother... yes, I did feel a little embarrassed for her. Mothers can learn so much from her. Don't we want our children to do well, be seen in "high places"? It's humbling to allow and teach our children to be servants of others. That's great food for thought today. Thanks Amy!

    ReplyDelete