Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Judgement of Nineveh

I can’t help but think of Jonah while reading this book. I have to admit that I think this is the first time I have ever read Nahum. I was surprised to read that Nineveh was being destroyed. I am not good with history so I have to try real hard to understand the order of all this history we are learning. This period of time is over 100 years after Jonah had seen Nineveh repent.
“The Lord is slow to anger but great in power…”
Nineveh really messed up. It wasn’t just a little backsliding. They had returned to their grave wickedness. Nahum prophesied to Nineveh between 663 and 612 B.C.
“From you, Nineveh, has one come forth who plots evil
against the Lord and devises wicked plans.”
The Lord will not leave the guilty unpunished. The Assyrians were merciless people who had destroyed and plundered many nations. For Nineveh, the captial of the Assyrian empire, to be destroyed was a relief and cause for celebration (1:15). Nineveh had tormented Israel and Judah and now it was time they pay for rebelling against God.


While Nahum’s message was primarily for Nineveh there is much to learn from this scripture. There is encouragement in that the guilty will get what they deserve. It may seem like God is allowing the wicked to win but scripture shows us over and over that he is a just God. There is also a warning for us as Christians. We need not think we can get away with our sin. Although the eternal penalty of sin has been paid there are still consequences of sin. As our Heavenly Father he must discipline us. I am thankful he does because that means he loves me.
"Because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in." Proverbs 3:12

3 comments:

  1. Amy, I had very similar thoughts about this book! I also thought of Jonah. And I was also reminded that sins are costly and judgement is not pretty. It convicted me not to be flippant about sin, and to be even more thankful for the grace and mercy extended to me through the blood of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy - thanks so much for giving us the historical background on this book. I too struggle with understanding all of the history behind these books. It is sometimes difficult to put all of this in chronological order. I am SOOO thankful for the blood of Jesus that covers all of MY grave wickedness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw something today I had never noticed - that Ninevah is not on the coast line! Why had I always pictured that in my mind?? In fact, it is the capital of Assyria - which I had never noticed either! Duh, it takes me a while. Helps to look at a map too.

    Sad that only 100-150 years after Jonah had preached and God saved the people there, they had strayed so far that they were destroyed. Evil is eventually repaid - good lesson. Thanks Amy for your post today - concise and right on the point.

    ReplyDelete