Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Thursday, October 20, 2011

People Need the Lord

What is the greatest need in your life right now? Are you stressed, tired, sick, lonely, struggling with other issues? Today we have examples of "needs" that were met by the Master in Matthew 9-10.

A paralyzed man needed to be able to walk
A bleeding woman needed to be healed from her disease
A father needed his little girl to be raised to life
Two blind men needed their sight
A mute man needed to speak

Each of these needs required faith for Jesus to heal and restore. Do you believe that I am able to do this? They said to Him, "Yes,Lord." Sometimes we think it is "too late" for God to help us, but faith means that God, through believing, can change things that sometimes seem unchangeable. No job is too big for God - remember with God nothing is impossible.

Do you suppose that anyone in that day would have pictured Matthew as a follower of Jesus - a changed man? He was a tax collector - despised and hated by the Jews, a social outcast. Yet, as Jesus passed by and called him, you see the transforming power of Jesus on his life. Immediately Matthew wanted to share his new life with other people. He gave a feast at his house and invited his friends. When we are called to Jesus, do we invite our "former friends"? Or are we now concerned about the company we keep or who we associate with? Are we self-righteous? Do I share my faith with those who need it the most? People need the Lord . . .

Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick (Mt. 9:12)

And who did Jesus call as his first disciples? Men with personal failings, some with and some without education, men with reputations, one with a temper; rich and poor, fishermen, common men - ordinary people. Many think that Jesus will call on the few, the brave, the elect. But this is not true. He is looking for real people - ordinary people - changed by His love and grace.



By the way, when He "called" them - He called them to come with Him. Too often I think I want Jesus to come with me. I want Him to fit into my schedule, my plans, my activities, my dreams. But it doesn't work like that, does it? Being a disciple of Jesus means that I go with Him - that I do what He asks me to do and walk where He wants me to walk. He called his disciples to take his love to the people.

People need the Lord - and by being his disciple, I can take Jesus where the needs are. Maybe it's not to Zimbuckto - it might only be across the street, the grocery store, or to my own family. That's why he called the Twelve - to come with Him and learn of Him - for his yoke is easy and his burden light. Then after being with Jesus, they could go to the people.

We are called to take His light
To a world where wrong seems right.
What could be too great a cost
For sharing Life with one who's lost?
People need the Lord, people need the Lord.
At the end of broken dreams, He's the open door.
People need the Lord, people need the Lord.
When will we realize that people need the Lord?

6 comments:

  1. The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few...ask the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into his harvest field. You are so right, Jaybrena! People need the Lord. What a great way to sum up these chapters. Not only do I recognize my own needs by reading about all that Jesus did, but I can't help thinking, "who wouldn't want to meet Him?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard recently that "when Jesus asks us to follow Him, He doesn't mean on twitter." I think we underestimate the personal cost of following Him. It should cost us something, and I have recently been reevaluating my own life from this perspective. Just like you said, Mrs. Barbara, rather than making plans and asking Him to bless them, or rather than making plans and asking Him to join me.....seek Him first. He doesn't fit in my pocket! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Golly- my days get so mixed up....Im sorry Ms. Barbara!! Today was your post- and you did a great job! I have no idea why I thought it was Friday. You think I'd learn to read the name posted at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing "pep talk" for the 12 disciples! He was calling them to a very selfless task and asks no less from us. And with the song in my head, it's a good reminder for today that "people need the Lord". Great job, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are fine Natalie - my days get mixed up as well. After trying to post and seeing all those "weird" notes - as you explained to me - I am surprised I even got it posted. I almost wish I hadn't thought of that song - it is playing non-stop in my mind today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs. Barbara - I love that picture of the disciples you found! When we started our Discipleship classes with the youth last month, I started out by reading in the Bible what Jesus said about being His disciple and that you WOULD have trouble and persecution for following Him and I asked them at that time, "Having heard what it means to be Jesus' disciple, are you sure you want to be one?" We then talked about the rewards that Jesus promises us in heaven for all eternity for any pain and suffering we will experience in THIS world for being His followers. So...are we REALLY ready and prepared to be His disciples???

    ReplyDelete