Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, October 10, 2011

Motives

The subject of motives is a tough one!  I would venture to say that in many (most?) cases, a person may not even be aware of his or her motives.  To me, discovering ones motives also reveals the state of the heart.  Micah had a tough message for the Israelites and a message is still very applicable today. "God's Word is living and active". Throughout this book, we see a sprinkling of motives... some good, some bad.

In Chapter 2, we see that those in positions of power had self-centered motives to gain more wealth and power.  They oppressed those under their control such that they were plotting and scheming to steal from others in order to build their worldly power. God told those people that they would be humbled, lose all of their assets, and that they would not be included in God's inheritance.  I'm challenged by this to trust God for my security and to trust in His promises of provision.

"Ill-gotten treasures are of no value,
but righteousness delivers from death."

~ Proverbs 10:2

We also read in Chapter 2 about the false prophets and that their motives were to feed their bellies.  They told people what the people wanted to hear so they would be popular (and paid).  As Paul did in Philippians, Micah also warned of the destiny for those not for God.

"...many live as enemies of Christ.
Their destiny is destruction,
their god is their stomach,
and their glory is in their shame."

~ Philippians 3:18-19

People who listened to the false prophets had motives to feel good. These people chose to believe false teachings instead of God's truth. They made up their own truth. I'm sure that I have been guilty of this at times.  Anytime I speak "truth" without consulting God's Word, I'm guilty. (Think back to Hosea.  Who would think that marrying a promiscuous woman would be the right thing to do?  Although we don't necessarily understand that, it was God's instruction for Hosea and he was obedient.)  God's Word seems good to me when I'm walking in obedience.  Conversely, God's Word can be hard to swallow when I'm not.  If I'm honest with myself, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, that is a good way to take a check of the state of my heart.

"Do not my words do good
to the one whose ways are upright?"

~ Micah 2:7

In Chapter 3, we read of the impure motives of the rulers of Israel.  The leaders, priests, and false prophets worked for money and were dishonest in doing so.  Micah had to deliver what I'm sure was a very unpopular message to these men of worldly power.  They were going to reap what they had been sowing.

"Therefore because of you...
Jerusalem will become a heap of rubble"

~ Micah 3:12

In Chapter 6, we finally read of Israel's motives to have a clean conscience, but the motives are not exactly quite right. They wanted to "do" something in order to get right with God.  Micah reminded them that God simply wanted their obedience, compassion, and humility.  God wants our hearts! In many cases, our human nature is to do something. We want to fix situations, don't we? We are reminded and can learn from this. God simply wants our obedience and humble dependence on Him.

"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."

~ Micah 6:8

Micah's motives were to be pure and obedient to the Lord.  He certainly had a tough message to deliver... that God had to punish and discipline for sin.  The more I learn about the prophets, the more respect I have for each of them and their obedience to God.  Micah's hope and trust was in his Lord.  Because of his personal relationship with God, Micah was confident that Lord heard his prayers.  As believers and followers of the Living God, we can and should have the same confidence.

"But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD,
I wait for God my Savior;
my God will hear me."

~ Micah 7:8

I want to be careful here and not speak as God about his motives. However, through his Word we know that God desires are to restore His people to Himself. As He has told us over and over again, God wants us to be ultimately dependent on Him. He longs to have a close relationship with each of us.  When our hearts are repentant and humble, we are in closer relationship with Him. 

Micah had the wonderful privilege of foretelling of the Messiah, Jesus Christ, who would bring peace, security, and deliverance to His people.

"He will stand and shepherd his flock
in the strength of the LORD,
in the majesty of the name of the LORD his God.
And they will live securely, for then his greatness
will reach to the ends of the earth."
~ Micah 5:4

Let's be careful to keep a close check on our motives and the state of our hearts.  Thank you, Lord, for your Word and your deliverance!




5 comments:

  1. Act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God. It doesn't get much clearer than that. To do that, our hearts and motives have got to be in line. Things to ponder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want my heart to be lined up with my motives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS- I just updated the reading list! Please note: ONE WEEK from today we will be reading in the New Testament!! Is anyone else amazed they made it this far??!! I could never have done it with out the rest of you ladies! So excited to see what new things I'll understand in the New Testament after reading the Old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Terry. I think you said it all and for me to add to it would not do it justice. I know there are times my motives are not God centered and I need help and prayer on that. Sometimes we don't even realize it until it is called to our attention. Thank you for doing that.
    Natalie, Yes I am amazed that we have gotten this far and we have all hung in there. Barb and I was talking about that at the Super Senior Luncheon ( it was an amazing success) and we both confessed to each other how hard it was at times and we wondered if what we wrote was good enough. Please let's continue to support one another, we need it so much. Thank all of you for your commitment and the great job you all have done. I feel honored to be in this great group of women.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie - I was just looking at that! AMAZING!!! Terri - I LOVE the way you laid out and organized this post! For the last two years of teaching 6th grade girls for Sunday school I have started them off with the book called "A Girl After God's Own Heart". I just feel that it is SO important to lay the foundation with them that God just wants our hearts and He is just concerned about the state of our hearts. Once again, the words of this Old Testament prophet speaks just as much to us today as it did back then! Great post Terri!!!

    ReplyDelete