Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, October 24, 2011

Like Little Children

Most of us can relate to watching a child grow over time.  In some cases, we are intimately involved with a child from the moment of birth until they become a fully grown adult.  Watching my now 6-year old son grow and learn in so many aspects of life has been an amazing experience.  To be able to see his mind process information and respond, to hear him learn to speak, read, and sing, to watch his physical growth, to observe how he interacts with other people are all wonderful treasures!

Twice in Matthew 18 and 19, Jesus teaches the disciples using little children as an example.  Twice he tells them (and us) that we have to become like little children to belong to the kingdom of heaven.  Have you ever spent time really thinking about what Jesus meant by that?  I cannot help but to think about some of the characteristics and behaviors of children and how I need to be changed to become like them.

Without reading in context, there are many wrong ways to interpret Jesus teaching.  Children can be selfish, dishonest (amazing how early we show this trait), and greedy.  However, in the context of Jesus' teaching, we know that He is teaching humility and trust.  As I think about young children and similarities to what God desires from us as our Heavenly Father, these traits come to mind:

  • Trusting of others
  • Completely honest
  • No prejudices
  • Curious and able to learn a lot very quickly (like sponges!)
  • Total dependence on others for their care and needs
  • Tender love for others
  • Not wanting to stray too far from a parent
  • Quick to forgive

Oh, how I desire to have the tender heart of a child!  Some days I do, other days... not so much.  Lord, please touch and humble my heart to trust you entirely.

"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, 
you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 
Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child 
is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."
~Matthew 18:3-4

There are many other wonderful teachings in these chapters, but I wanted to see if any of you especially enjoyed reading about a camel going through the eye of a needle. Pastor Chris spoke about this yesterday during his sermon.  I love the disciples' response to Jesus about this:  "Who then can be saved?"  They understood the message!  I also love Jesus' answer:

"With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
~Matthew 19:26 

Lord, thank you for doing what we see as impossible!

5 comments:

  1. I did enjoy the story about the camel going through the eye of a needle. Last week, I won a CD by the Jonesmen for knowing that verse. Sunday, when the Pastor pulled that needle out, it made be think of this verse. I use to picture a hugh needle lying on the ground with a hugh eye on it and the camel trying to walk through but it wasn't big enough. I have trouble putting thread through the eye of the needle, how then could I expect a camel to do it. I agree with you on the behavior we must have to be childlike. Great post, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having kept my two granddaughters (6 and 8) this week-end, I was reminded again of the trust and love and wonder of children. What a beautiful post today Terry. As our children grow, we sometimes forget how honest and trusting little children are. How even the smallest thing brings a smile or a giggle to them. Lord, give me that heart of a tender child again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED this post Terry!!! I see almost everyday the childlike faith that Jesus was talking about in this chapter. It NEVER ceases to amaze me! I have actually spent quite a bit of time thinking about what Jesus meant by this and now that I teach little children, I totally get it! Jesus just plain and simply knows what He is talking about! I also enjoyed your list of positive qualities that children posses. With my love for little children I just LOVE this part of the Gospels!!! FANTASTIC post Terry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that children are so quick to forgive, I can learn so much from them! I love that Jesus so obviously has love immeasurable for children, and is quick to defend them, and reach out to them...asking us to do the same. Just reading the promise He gives concerning the one who may cause them harm is enough to convince me that He means business.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blind faith an innocence of children can teach us so much!! And I also loved how Jesus corrected the teaching of the day- the richer you are the closer you are to God. Often, it's totally the opposite. Jesus was saying there is nothing you can do on your own to be saved- I'm with you terry! Thank you God that with you all things are possible!!

    ReplyDelete