Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, May 16, 2011

What's In a Name?

I enjoy genealogy and trying to capture my family tree as well as my husband's. I love it when I can fill in one of the blanks. When we go to family reunions or functions, I can often be found with a notebook and pen jotting down family facts as told by others. Sometimes my head swims with all of the names, relationships, and stories just as it swims with these chapters in First Chronicles.

I am still trying to get my head around why all of this matters and what we can learn from it. Obviously it matters because God's Word includes many accounts of family lineage. I agree with Boots post from yesterday. People want to know where they came from and that they belong. God also made promises to men to bless (or curse) their children for generations to come. Genealogy provides a record of those generations.

In the New Testament, both Matthew and Luke provide the genealogy of Jesus in their gospels (Matthew 1:1 and Luke 3:23). Interestingly, as in most genealogy research done by different people, the "family trees" of Jesus were documented differently by Matthew and Luke. They took different approaches and at times their lists differed. Luke started with Jesus and Matthew ended with Jesus. Regardless of who is in our different family tree, Jesus is at the beginning and the end, isn't He? God tells us so...

"I am the Alpha and the Omega,
the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End."

~ Revelation 22:13

The Israelites kept records of their ancestry and obviously wanted to know that their roots were in Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. We can imagine that the oldest sons wanted to make sure their names were recorded correctly! What a history these patriarchs have and what incredible promises God gave to each of them! We know God gave Jacob a new name after he "struggled with God and with men". (Gen 32:28) We know Jacob's new name was Israel, which means "he struggles with God." After reading what we've read so far this year, I have a fresh perspective on this name and believe it is very fitting. The Israelites continued to struggle with each other (man) and with God.

In the middle of these chapters, we learn about a man that is mentioned nowhere else in the Bible. Jabez was given his name by his mother after she experienced painful childbirth. The word Jabez sounds like the Hebrew word for pain. Now, that's a name to live up to! Instead, Jabez prayed to God that he would be blessed and free from pain. We learn through these genealogy notes that "Jabez was more honorable than his brothers" and that "God granted his request." (4:9-10).

Regardless of our earthly family history and the roots that we have, as Christians we also know our spiritual heritage. We can claim God's promise that we are "sons [and daughters] of God... heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ." (Romans 8:14 and 17)

What an incredible promise and blessing each of us has received. May we each live up to our name as a Child of God!

8 comments:

  1. Terry-Very interesting post on genealogy. All of you ladies can take very dry verses and turn the words into such clear applications for us. Amazing- a true gift of teaching. My dad has been tracing our family tree back on ancestry.com for about 8 months now. We knew were obviously from Scottish descent (my maiden name is "Sutherland"), but it is very intriguing to find out that we are related to an English king. Who knew?!?! As I have gotten older the ancestry and genealogy of people intrigues me. Terry, my happiness comes from knowing I am a child of God. True royalty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really neat, Angela! And, Terry, about that notebook....are you firstborn or only child??? (Kidding! College Psych days coming back.) What a wonderful treasure for your family to have.

    Wow! And, I always thought I had a hard time learning to spell my name :) Being a firstborn myself, I can say that the firstborn would certainly have made sure that his name was correct....details are important to most of us. hahhaa!

    On that note, we are again reminded that Reuben "lost his firstborn place" in the family tree when he sinned greatly, defiling himself. Joseph, then inherited the rights of his older brother. I picked up my Message to read these chapters, what a wealth of information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I am into reading again and learn so much even in the genealogy of the families of long ago.
    Terry i agree that I am interested enough to learn from others but not enough to dig. My sister-in-law goes to archives and graveyards and any where else she can find information. I just learn from her.
    I was interested in the statement about Jabez "and God granted his request". Right in the middle of all these names we have the Prayer of Jabez and God granted it. Right in the middle of all we have been through at Oak Hill we prayed to God for a new leader and God heard our request. Thank you Lord.
    I also know that in 5:1 the birthright went from the oldest to the next to the youngest. I think the ones in the middle did not argue because of what they did to Joseph. They were just glad to be alive.
    5:20 they cried out to God in battle and He answered their prayer because they trusted Him. I trust Him to guide us to be the church He would have us to be. But also have to keep other gods out of our lives.
    He does not like any others gods in our lives. My prayer is that I keep my eyes, heart, and soul on Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post Terry. I get all caught up in those names listed, and found it interesting the comment about Jabez. About 10 years ago there was a little book called "The Prayer of Jabez" that was all the rage. It was very interesting. I still have it if anyone wants to borrow it.

    His prayer that God would "keep him from evil" is my prayer as well. I believe we have to keep that in our minds at all times and be on the alert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Ms. Barbara - I did the whole "Prayer of Jabez" study by Bruce Wilkerson (sp?) and it is WONDERFUL! I HIGHLY recommend it...it will truly bless you!!! I am SO thankful that I am a child of God and that I have been adopted into Jesus' family as a daughter of God! Terry - I love that verse out of Revelation 22! It is one of my favorites in the Bible! Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaybrena, it's actually anything I can get my hands on. I've have notes on napkins and other scraps of paper, too.

    But, I am the oldest, but planning and detail orientation are in the family genes. My sister and brother also have the same "assets" :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Papa made a point to go around and catalog different people buried in cemeteries all around Georgia. He actually published it, so that anyone researching family could possibly find where long lost family members are buried. I remember going with him and my Granny on a few of these trips. Some of the tombstones were so worn that we had to dust flour on them to read them or make rubbings. I still love to wander around old cemeteries. There's a quiet peace there to me, a still beauty. In my college days, my dorm was close to a large cemetery and I used to go run through there.
    Terry, I loved your comment that regardless of our earthly family and earthly history we know we are part of God's family. And God's family is all about redemption. There is so much hope in that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Women of the Most High God, I greet you all in the Name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
    The Prayer of Jabez has been a constant source of inspiration for me these past eight or so years. I first prayed the prayer in 2003, it is now 2011. Since praying this prayer, God has indeed "enlarged my coast." I, along with my son, have been traveling with my daughter who was in the military. While our travels were in the US only, I got a chance to see how other people in the US live. I have seen some great things happen that I know only God could have done. I often tell others that, if you are content with just staying where you are then, do not pray the Prayer of Jabez. God will honor His promise that He made to Jabez. God Bless each and every one of you!
    Yours in Christ,
    Joann

    ReplyDelete