Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, May 2, 2011

A Kingdom Divided

I'm sure most of us know of a family who has been divided because of internal strife, selfishness, or sibling rivalry. These events are extremely painful and emotional for those involved and even for those involved on the fringes. Feelings are hurt, relationships are broken , and family ties are weakened and sometimes lost forever.

We see a similar story (with MUCH more significant consequences) in these chapters of I Kings. King Solomon has just died. We know in his later years, "his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the Lord his god." (11:4) God had to punish this behavior, which included splitting Israel into two nations. Through the prophet Ahijah, God told Jeroboam (one of Solomon's officials) that the the 10 northern tribes (referred to as "Israel") would be removed from Solomon's kingdom.

Solomon's son, Rehoboam, was to be the next king of Israel. All of the Israelite tribes requested relief from the oppressive taxation, labor, and ongoing military influence in their lives. But, "the king did not listen to the people, for this turn of events was from the LORD, to fulfill the word the LORD had spoken..." (12:15) The Northern tribes were not interested in living under the oppression of King Rehoboam. "So the Israelites went home." (12:16) Instead, they chose Jeroboam to be their king.

"If a kingdom is divided against itself,
that kingdom cannot stand.
If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand."
- Mark 3:24-25

When these two new kings take their positions, they make some pretty astounding mistakes right out of the gate. I believe we can learn from these mistakes:

  • Rehoboam rejected the advice of senior, seasoned men, which was to serve the people.

  • Instead, he sought the advice of those that were young and inexperienced and obviously not seeing God.

  • Rehoboam intended to lead by oppression telling all of Israel that his rule would be harsher than that of King Solomon.

  • Jeroboam built two golden calves (sound familiar?) so the Israelites would not have to go to the temple in Jerusalem to offer sacrifices.

  • Jeroboam presented these to calves to the people as their gods and the people worshipped them.

  • Jeroboam established priests "from all sorts of people" and established his own festival.
And things did not get better from there. I know hind-sight is 20/20, but I want to ask these men, "What are you doing?!?!?!?" Who and what were these two men seeking? We don't read any mention of them seeking "a personal encounter with their King" and it appears to me that they are making up their own rules, acting out of selfish ambition and impulses, and are clearly not following God's law.

And the people... the people... they followed right along with the kings. They worshipped the idol calves. They were blindly trusting their leaders and not seeking God. I wonder if the Israel nations were relieved that they did not have to make the trek to the temple in Jerusalem. That might have made life easier and more convenient for them. I wonder if some of the Israelites (maybe a few?) who were questioning the direction of the new kings, but went along with it anyway because that was easier than "bucking the system."

Unfortunately, because of our human nature, I believe we are much like the Israelites or at least are tempted like they were to take the easy road. As many of us have stated before, I'm reminded that God's ways are not my ways. God has a very specific plan and orchestrates events to bless those who seek Him and to punish those who oppose Him.

We see that God continues to deal with those who disobey Him:

  • The alter Jeroboam built was split apart and its ashes poured out

  • Jeroboam was temporarily crippled when he tried to have others seize the man of God (from Judah)

  • The man of God was killed by a lion after he stopped to eat after God told him not to; his body was not returned to his people in Judah

  • Because of his ongoing evil ways, the house of Jeroboam was completely destroyed

  • Because Israel worshipped other gods, they would be uprooted, unsettled, and scattered

  • Judah also worshipped other Gods and continued their evil ways; they continued to live an unsettling life of warfare
Can you imagine Jeroboam's wife as she was hearing God's message from Ahijah about her husband and their "house"? WHOA! That will make you stop and think. God was very clear to her how He felt about Jeroboam's actions and what the punishment would be. However, God did recognize one good thing in the house of Jeroboam, his son. When Jeroboam's son died, God allowed him to be properly buried. He was the only one in the entire house for whom God allowed this.

The Israelites were missing out on God's promises and blessings!

"Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant,
then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession.
Although the whole earth is mine,
you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation."
~ Exodus 19:5-6

Through these passages, I'm encouraged to learn from the Israelites mistakes. I want to seek God even more and to pursue what is right in His eyes. I'm encouraged to know His Word, His commands, His blessings. What does He require of me? What does He promise me? What does He want me to do? Where does He want me to serve? It will likely not be the easiest road, but He promises blessings and eternal life with Him. What an incredible gift!

4 comments:

  1. This passage reminds me that when I turn down the volume on the messages that God wants to speak into my life through scripture, Godly friends, etc. that I am setting into motion a downfall that will not only affect me, but everyone that depends on me and comes in contact with me, and the longer I stay on that path the more unaware I become of how far I have drifted

    ReplyDelete
  2. We see so clearly in these passages what happens when we seek our own interests over the interests others. At our leadership meeting Sunday, Pastor Chris talked about servant leadership, and how it was the opposite of the leadership model we see in corporate America. As leaders (and everyone is a leader somewhere) we are supposed to look out for the interests of and serve those under our leadership, not expect them to always try and make us happy. Those comments line right up with what we read today. We see an entire nation suffering because of the self-serving pride of two men. Lord, help me to stay humble and serve as you served and as you tell us in your word , "each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." Philippians 2:4

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so much more like the Israelites than I ever wanted to be! I wonder how many blessings I have missed out of in my life because of blatant disobedience? Terry - I loved your quote of the verse out of Mark. I think that verse is so VERY applicable to the Body of Christ today. We in the church have a tendency to divide ourselves over things that are so trivial and once that "fracture" happens, it is hard to remain "standing". As always, you did a FANTASTIC job with your post Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What blessings we receive when we put "self" to the side!!! God rewards us at the most unexpected times. It may not always be monetary, but so rewarding. One of my spiritual gifts includes words of encouragement. I want to encourage everyone to press on even when times get tough. Life is all about how we run the race. It is not a sprint but a marathon. God does help us through. The recent scriptures are full of testimony to press on.

    ReplyDelete