Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, May 30, 2011

The Battle is the Lord's

I am a worrier by nature. When I read the story of Mary and Martha, well... I am Martha! This is one of my battles. I cling to the verses where God tells me to "be still" and to allow God to "fight". Today as I read these passages, I am reminded of my need to let go of my worries and trust that God will work out all things for His glory.

Ahab apparently battled truth and reality. He wanted to hear good news so he chose to listen to false prophets. He was at least honest about his motives when discussing the matter with Jehoshaphat. That's more than I can say for myself at times. The Holy Spirit gives us guidance of right and wrong. He lets us know when we are trying to fool ourselves. God knows our hearts and is not fooled. Even after hearing God's Word from Micaiah, Ahab tried to change God's plan. He tried to change his impending death by manipulation. You have to wonder what Jehoshaphat was thinking when Ahab revealed the scheme. Maybe he wondered what he had gotten himself into! As we know, Ahab's scheme did not save his life. He was battling the Lord and the Lord won.

I have a lot of respect for Micaiah. I don't know whether he battled a lack of confidence, fear of delivering a tough message, or something else entirely. However, he was honorable in doing what he knew was right. He could only deliver a message that was spoken to him by God. Micaiah obviously trusted God to win the battle as he was doing his job.

Twice in these chapters, Jehoshaphat sought the Lord before battle. When he heard that the Edomites were headed his way, he led the people of Judah in fasting and prayer. "All of the men of Judah, with their wives and children and little ones, stood there before the Lord." (20:13) Wow! Whether they were all physically "standing" together or they were unified by standing before the Lord in their hearts, that is a wonderful example of a nation turning to God. We could learn A LOT from that. The result? God told them that He would do the fighting and He did!

"For the battle is not yours, but God’s."

~ II Chronicles 20:15

How hard do we try to fight battles that are not ours? I know I do on a daily basis. Lord, draw me to You. Teach me to trust You to fight. Remind me to rest in Your presence and promises!

6 comments:

  1. Terry, I'm so glad that you chose "the battle is the Lord's" for your title for those are the exact words that stuck out for me in these chapters. I wish we could all learn that fact. We try and try to figure out a strategy and work and work to win a battle, when all along, if we will listen and obey, the Lord will show us how to "fight" and what to do.

    I am also reminded on this Memorial Day of all the battles and wars that our Country has been in. All the hurt and destruction and lives lost and maimed in battles. Oh that we would have peace in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Barbara - I could not agree more about how fitting this is as a title and post on this Memorial Day. I thank God for all of the men and women who fought for our country and ARE fighting for our country! Ms. Terry - I too have troubles trying to fight my own battles and not letting the Lord do it on my behalf. I want it done in my timing and on my terms. This attitude has gotten me into more trouble than I care to admit! This post is a reminder that I needed to hear in that I need to let the Lord fight my battles for me and in HIS timing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For so much of my life, the feeling of being a part of something important and meaningful- having a purpose to strive for- has been so important to me. By nature I'm a "people pleaser" so confrontation or "battles" have always been something very hard for me- and often something I've ran from. You can see how my desires and nature were conflicting. God has shown me over the years that He does indeed fight for me and with me, and has shown me how to "fight the good fight of the faith" with him beside me. Just being on His side gives me a sense of security, comfort and purpose. He magically blends my need for adventure with my need for security. God, help me to continue to lay my battles at your feet and wait on instructions as to how to "fight."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the blog and knowing that because I am God's child we go to battle together. I just need to let HIM lead. He has been so strong in my life and blessed me beyond measure. I just want to stay close and not sell out at the very end like Jehoshaphaat did. All the ships wrecked because he did not seek God. I want our ship to sail with God guiding us. Thank you Lord for all YOU do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hardest part for me is knowing when to be still and when to draw the sword! :) Wise counsel is very important! Ahab's "yes-men" prophets lied over and again but allowed to walk, and Micaiah told the truth and went to prison.....hmmmmmm.

    I'm facing a battle right now, and waiting on instructions! I suppose we all have battles. But, I must add that I love it when God's instruction are "stand and watch" kinda like Jehosophat's...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Different seasons bring on different battles. Let us all put our armor on and go to battle with God as our guide and leader.

    ReplyDelete