Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, May 9, 2011

A Change of Plans

What is on your agenda for today?


I wonder if some of you are a little like me. When each day begins, in my mind I have a plan for how the day should go. I know the things that must be done (the A-list) and then there are always the B and C lists to follow. I usually have some built-in flexibility (a requirement for my 9-5 job), but sometimes I get rather grumpy and stressed when things don't go as I have planned. I'm learning that my conscience and life are more at peace when I practice better time management, saying "no" more often, and not procrastinating. I have more time to enjoy God, my family, nature, conversations with others, and generally gain more enjoyment from doing other daily activities.

I wonder what Jehu had planned for the day he was anointed as King of Israel? We know he was hanging out with other officers. Maybe they were sharing a meal, plotting for the next battle, maybe going to take a siesta. Whatever his plans were, they drastically changed upon his encounter with the prophet who had a message from God.

I believe we can learn from Jehu's experience that day:

He was anointed
God called Jehu to be the new king of Israel. There was no question when one of the prophets came with God's message and oil for anointing. Did anyone else think that Jehu's anointing stood out? We have only read of a few kings before him being anointed by God.
Lesson to learn: We are also anointed by God as believers in Jesus Christ. God has called us and has plans for us too!

He was willing and ready
Immediately, he told his fellow officers and began conspiring against Joram (previous King of Israel). We don't read about him questioning the prophet or trying to figure out why he was chosen. He was ready to act and he did. He recruited others to follow him, even those who were scouting for the enemy kings.
Lesson to learn: We need to be prepared to respond to God when he calls us. Are we ready to help with a meal, make phone calls to those God brings to our mind, respond quickly when people are hurting from natural disasters, go meet a friend who really needs to talk?

He remembered and trusted God's promises
In several situations, Jehu explained to others why certain things were happening. He knew of God's promises and that helped him and others understand what was going on and why things were happening. He knew of Joram's prophetic death on Naboth's land. He knew why Jezebel's body was torn as it was. He knew that all of Ahab's kingdom had to die. Jehu was paying attention to God's promises and Word (through Elijah).
Lesson to learn: We have at our fingertips a book full of God's promises. The Bible is God's Word to us today. Do we know it? Can we claim God's promises and explain them to others?

He shared his passion and for the Lord with others
He obviously knew Jehonadab and they shared a "ride" to Samaria. My NIV study notes say that Jehonadab was a leader of a conservative movement among the Israelites. (I know... politics even then!) Jehu and Jehonadab were together when Jehu destroyed all of Ahab's family in Samaria.
Lesson to learn: Are we confident enough of God's work to share with others? Do we actively do that when opportunities present themselves? What a blessing to share God's work with our spiritual brothers and sisters!

He rid the land of (some) sin
"Jehu destroyed Baal worship in Israel" (10:28). He killed all the ministers of Baal, destroyed the temple of Baal, and turned it into a latrine. (I believe that pretty much sums up what God thought of Baal worship.)
Lesson to learn: Maybe Jehu did not fully learn this lesson (more below), but we know that he aggressively eliminated a gross area of sin from the land. He literally killed those who were worshipping Baal and destroyed the Baal temple. We need to identify sin in our lives and aggressively obey God to allow Him to free us from that bondage.

Unfortunately, we also see Jehu's mistakes, but we can learn from those as well.


  • He did not turn away from other sins committed by previous kings. The worship of golden calves continued.

  • He was not careful to keep the law of the Lord with all of his heart.

May God keep us close to Him. May we be obedient to spend time with him... as one post this week emphasized... not only talking, but also doing plenty of listening. May we be ready to respond when God calls us to act!


I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
Praise be to you, LORD; teach me your decrees.
With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth.
I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches.
I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.
I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.
~ Psalm 119:10-16

5 comments:

  1. Terry, I loved reading your "lesson to learn" sections on each topic. Oh, the things we can learn from these chapters in 2 Kings. Again, putting "self" to side and focusing on others has come to my mind a lot lately. The acronym of "JOY"-Jesus, Others, and You-keeps coming to mind as I read this blog. Too often Terry, I have MY "to do A list" ready for the day (the OCD in me, I guess) and if it doesn't get done I get "grumpy" too. Lesson plans, routines, and schedules fill my day. I love being organized. Lord, help me remember that it is Your plans and not mine that are important. Terry, great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is like a week's worth of lessons all in one day, Terry! Great job! I think I'll adopt that "A, B, C List" idea......I've been a little too busy. These kings continue to make this particular mistake of not taking down the altars in the high places, and worship of idols in general. I will be looking into this "high places" phrase. Hmmmmmm.....def an "A" list for tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry - LOVED the way you organized your post! It really helps to get more out of these chapters if they are broken down like this. We did have a lot we could learn from Jehu! Like all of us, he had strengths and weaknesses, but boy did he act on God's commands! He was VERY focused on his task of obedience! If we had half of his intensity, what we could do for the kingdom!!! I love God's sense of humor with the whole "latrine" thing! Sometimes He just cracks me up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry, thank you for pointing out our lessons to learn...excellent points. I'm one of those who loves to plan, too. But, I have come to realize that God does often just chuckle at my plans! As Isaiah 55:8-9 reminds me, God's ways and thoghts are higher than mine.....Oh, how I want HIS A+ Plan for my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Terry. I'm always amazed at how many other "list makers" there are out there. It's always good to be reminded that sometimes, what we think is priority really isn't and God has other plans. I wonder- what was the deal with the calves? Why golden calves every time? I know we talked about this previously when the Israelites made the first one back in Exodus, but- why do they keep popping up?? Obviously these people aren't up on their history lessons!

    ReplyDelete