Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Levites, the Priests and a Few Good Men

Remember how your parents reminded you of things to do (and NOT do) over and over? And I'm sure as a mom you probably do the same thing! If something is repeated, there is usually a good reason, and it only illustrates how important something is to remember.

The first two verses in Chapter 9 tell us that Judah was carried away because of unfaithfulness to God . . . and now the first (of the returned exiles) that come to dwell again in the cities of Israel were the priests, Levites, and temple servants. It goes on to repeat the story of Saul's death and how David became King.

We now look back (before the exile) at the temple, the priests and the Levites and see their specific duties outlined: gatekeepers, those in charge of the temple vessels, the furniture, the sacred utensils, preparing spices and things baked in pans (shewbread), and singers (which were on duty day and night - wow, what a job!) Each person was important and each task that they were assigned was equally important. It is not so in our church? There are many "committees" and "ministry teams" - hospital, kitchen, missions, building and grounds, ushers, finance, teachers, deacons, nursery workers - all are important and have their specific areas and duties to perform. We all work together for the building up of the church and to glorify the Lord. It reminds me of Paul's words regarding the "body of Christ" in the church in I Corinthians 12. Each job is important and should be done with care - even the smallest tasks come together to make the big picture. When we all work together, things run smoothly and grand things are accomplished.

A FEW GOOD MEN . . . When you hear the words "Mighty Men" who do you picture in your mind? Superman, Sylvester Stallone, Babe Ruth, Hulk Hogan? Jashobeam, Eleazar, and Shammah (those names are listed a little differently in II Sam. 23). David's Three Mighty Men. Yes, there were 30 others listed, but these were the cream of the crop, i.e., the U. S. Navy Seals, the Blue Angels. (It was interesting to me that Uriah the Hittite was listed in the 30, yet David had him killed. How sad.)

Jashobeam killed 300 men at one time with his sword (II Sam. says 800, but who's counting?), Eleazar staved off a Philistine army alone in a field while his hand clung to the sword and his cohorts fled; and Shammah bravely saved a field of lentils by himself so that the Israelites would not starve for food. (I once heard a sermon called "Staying in the Pea Patch" about standing up and sometimes standing alone and fighting for things you believe in.)

What would make these men so brave, so determined, so trustworthy? They fought for their King, for what they believed in, and for who they followed. God gave them deliverance, gave them victory, gave them strength for the task, and He does the same for each of us if we but ask. Fight the good fight - and remember, if God be for us who can be against us?

There is an old hymn that you hardly ever hear anymore, but I believe the words are worthy of mention:


Am I a solder of the cross, a follower of the Lamb?

And shall I fear to own his cause, or blush to speak his name?

Sure I must fight if I would reign; increase my courage, Lord!

I'll bear the toil, endure the pain, supported by Thy Word.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful hymn, Barbara! I have never heard it! Some of the same things jumped out at me, also.......
    all those keepers of the temple! Reminds me too that I am the chief gatekeeper of my temple, my body, where Jesus dwells. How am I doing.....protecting my eyes & ears against evil, mouth from evil, sharp words and from taking in an over abundance of junk foods....all much to my regret!! May we guard our temples from evil and strive to keep them holy!

    I agree, when I saw Uriah's name listed among the 30....David's loyal soldier....O, what tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "All Israel was listed in the genealogies recorded in the book of the kings of Israel and Judah. They were taken captive to Babylon because of their unfaithfulness."
    What a summation of the last few chapters we've read! Barbara, I loved how your post today mentioned that we all have jobs to do in the body of christ. It goes perfectly with the unity I was mentioning yesterday, and I think that was part of Ezra's intent in compiling this book this way.
    We all love a hero don't we? I love this mention of David's mighty men...what a crew he drew around him as he was hiding from Saul! There was a great study I did a few years back called "Chase the Lion" and it was based off the verse of Beniah who "went into a pit on a snowy day and killed a lion." Can you imagine? Oh, how I long for adventure sometimes! Thank you for reminding us that we should be fighting for God. Reminds me of another song...
    "I may never march in the infantry! Ride in the cavalry! Shoot the artillery! I may never fly o'er the enemy! But I'm in the Lord's army! Yes Sir!
    Ahh...what profound lessons we learned in VBS and never knew it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie - I have sung that song MANY, MANY times with my preschoolers this school year! They LOVE it! Some of those simple songs many of us sang as children were so simply profound and we did not even realize it. Ms. Barbara - I love the way, like Natalie said, your post today continues the theme of unity. The way each of us plays an important role in the church and spreading the Gospel is the perfect example of unity. I really love the words of that hymn Ms. Barbara!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry ladies, I spelled soldier wrong in my blog. Couldn't get the "spell check" to work when I was typing in my blog and missed it! Oh well, you know me - always have trouble putting in my blog, but I love doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THESE are the super-heroes I want my son to study :) What courage, and love for friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Barbara! I have been thinking about how important unity is within the church. How the world tells us over and over to be independent, "look out for #1," and that you can't trust anyone. A self-centered message that really destroys people. We all need to realize how much we do need each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara, the title of your post "...a Few Good Men" brought my dad to the forefront of my mind. I love my dad so much. God first and then family is his daily motto. His priority is to keep us all united through emails, texts, phone calls, and of course visits throughout the year. Now that my parents are semi retired they visit us children and grandchildren often. He is the one who led me to Jesus at the age of 8. As he and my mom celebrated 42 years of marriage this year they gave God all the glory, honor, and praise. My dad serves as a deacon, Sunday School teacher, building committe chairman and has worn many labels such as dad, husband, principal, teacher, war veteran, chief of safety in Saudia Arabia, etc. But most of all he fights the good fight daily with the constant and consistent model of being a Godly man. My dad is only 5'9" in stature but he can command a room full of people with his words, actions through his character and integrity. Just wanted to share my thoughts on "mighty men."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara, wonderful post! I thank each of you for providing such great insight into these chapters. I surely would skim them much more quickly if you guys were not with me (if I was even reading them at all).

    Angela, what a blessing you have in your dad. I can tell you adore him! What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete