Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Levites

I don’t feel there is a lot to explain about this chapter six of 1 Chronicles. It begins with the lineage of Levi. There is another long list of names. Most we have read before. Some we can identify with the history we have been reading. I did find it interesting to meet the first praise band. Heman, Asaph and the Merarites were appointed by David to minister with music before the tabernacle.

Music ministry is such a vital part of our fellowship on Sunday mornings. We come together and unite in song to praise our faithful, loving, and just Heavenly Father. Many hearts are prepared to receive His word after hearing a song of praise to our God. His very presence is among us when we turn our hearts to Him in praise and worship. There are many examples of the Lord showing up during the playing of instruments. Do you remember the wall of Jericho? And the trumpets of Gideon’s army? It was David who organized music for praise and worship. Music is very powerful. It has the ability to affect our mood and emotions. It is a source of our heart’s attitude. I believe God created music and it is for His glory. He certainly had a purpose for the musical talent of David and many others.

In the later part of this chapter we review the settlements alloted to the Levites. If you will remember they were given towns and pastures within the territories of the other tribes. By the Levites being divided among the other tribes, they were able to aid the people in their worship of God.

I have enjoyed reading everyone’s posts and comments about genealogy and family heritage. I am inspired to search a little more to see where my family line goes. I have only seen a list of names, but none that are famous so far. I cannot say that I enjoy trying to pronounce all these names in the list of Chronicles but I like recognizing some of them and knowing that I have learned somewhat about who belongs to who. I have been at our church for over ten years now and I am still learning who belongs with who, but it always brings a more clear picture when I can connect people with their family. It is more exciting to be able to recognize people who belong to the family of Christ.

7 comments:

  1. Great post, Amy! I too find it hard to pronounce all of the names and to remember who belongs to who. Good thing it's documented for us :)

    I agree with your comments about praising God through song. On Sunday mornings, that is the epoint in time when I feel closest to God. My heart is usually bubbling over with joy and thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wouldn't know it from me, because I didn't really inherit any of their talent, but I grew up with many musicians in my family and was always surrounded by music at home. Some good- some bad. My Granny was a pianist, my papa loved string instruments and could pretty much learn to play anything he could get his hands on. My mom was also our church pianist for many many years and taught piano lessons out of our home. (The plink-plink of someone learning to play...and the same lines being practiced over and over isn't always necessarily beautiful...hence the "bad mentioned before.) My older brother has his masters in trumpet performance and plays beautifully...now. :) Growing up, some of his earlier practice sessions sounded like, as my dad so eloquently put it, "a sick cow." It was a blessing to me to have him playing at my wedding. I've enjoyed many concerts and performances over the years. His wife sings beautifully and Aaron sings and plays guitar as well. This past christmas eve we all sat around the piano and sang carols together. That has become one of my favorite memories. Music lifts our heart, Amy, I agree! It's a blessing to read how it was used in the early church. We certainly serve a great God who would create such a wonderful thing as music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I tried to underline in my Bible the people from whom Jesus descended to get a clearer picture and to keep me focused on reading all those names....it helped! Like your mention of the organization of the first praise band!:) Music does bring us joy & can draw us closer to our Lord thru worship. One of the fondest memories I have of a Christmas past is listening to my Daddy play "Silent Night" on his harmonica! Reminds me of how blessed I am to have had godly parents!
    Also, wish I could remember names of church family members,for nothing is more beautiful & meaningful to a person than being called by his name. Think I will focus on remembering the name of at least two people at church each Sunday & build from there??! Praying for a better memory :):)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Music is indeed one of the most powerful ways to prepare our hearts for worship.....incidentally, many people believe that Satan was once in charge of music in heaven (Ez. 28). He may know full well, the effect music has. If so, I think he is still in the music business, but won't comment further. ;)

    I have to keep checking my dates in this study Bible, because our storyline has paused and we are getting more detail on things that have already passed. I remember in our Bible Study on David, how he had organized that orchestra of like 4000 musicians?!?! Praise Band, indeed! I can only imagine. And, here we have the names of the ones who ministered, as musicians. What a life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, who could have gotten a better chapter on the music in the temple than you with your sweet voice!

    I too love music in church - it always stirs my soul and prepares me for real worship. I always have music playing wherever I am - in the house, car and sometimes I will even take a portable radio out in the yard when I'm working outside in my flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Worship through music and songs make my heart full of joy and peace. When I listen to praise songs which lift up God and what He has done for me fill my heart with gladness. I like songs from all genres especially Gospel songs from the Gaithers and Cathedrals. My all time favorites come from Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman and Jeremy Camp. Very heart-felt songs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT COMMENTS LADIES!!! I so enjoy reading this blog everyday, I just cannot tell you what a blessing this is for me! Ms. Barbara - I could not agree more with you when you said how appropriate that this chapter would be a post that Amy did! We are just SO BLESSED every time you sing Amy! I sometimes think my husband is going to come unglued when he sees you are about to sing a solo! Interestingly, you will notice that MANY of the Psalms are written by Asaph. Check it out at the beginning of any chapter in Psalms as your Bible will usually tell you who wrote that particular song and often it is Asaph NOT David!

    I have also REALLY enjoyed the sharing of all the interesting tidbits of information that you all have shared about your families. AMAZING!!! I have been going to Oak Hill for almost 6 years and I still am no where NEAR knowing how everyone is connected together by their families. I just think that is SO COOL!!!

    ReplyDelete