Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Friday, May 27, 2011

Ask Him

My nephew, Conner, was 19 mos old when he pulled a gallon of hot tea down on himself last February. The hot liquid ran off the back of his head, down his neck and back, slowing at his diaper before running down his leg onto the floor. He stood there in the puddle, shocked and crying while his mommy who was just steps away hurried to comfort him. I'll spare you the heartbreaking details on the condition of his skin that made it apparent emergency medical attention would be needed. After being treated in the ER at the first hospital, Conner was transported by ambulance to the burn unit in a reputable hospital about two hours away. Even then, the gravity of the situation was not fully revealed. On that ambulance ride, Conner's skin continued to redden in new places and it was only the next day that the first mention of a possible skin graft was made. Weeks of doctor's visits and the best of wound care by his parents appeared to be promising for a time, but eventually everyone agreed to what FIVE doctors had said.... that this alone would not repair the skin on his little leg. There were two spots that were completely white.....no life. After yet another check-up on that Thursday, the family was instructed to bring him in for surgery the following Monday, to patch the dead skin with new skin from another part of his body. Having four days to prepare for such a thing, we read up on skin grafting. Let's just say that this surgery can sometimes leave worse scarring and more problems than the original injury! I had just come out of a Bible study on prayer, and on asking the impossible. My sister and I agreed in prayer for Conner's skin to be healed without surgery. I didn't know what would happen, but it was worth asking! In times of trial, when you DON'T know things, you start counting the things you DO know...... I knew God had made that little boy's skin in the first place, and I knew He could make it new again. I knew God loved Conner, and that He loved us. We asked for the impossible.

Reading King Solomon's prayer of dedication for the temple reminded me of asking for the impossible. He prayed in 6:18, "But will God indeed dwell with men on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain You." It seemed impossible that God could somehow dwell among men, and still be God. But, Solomon knew God wanted to move in their neighborhood.....he knew God desired to hear their prayers and protect and provide for them. I heard a sermon once entitled "From the Cloud to the Temple". In essence, God's people were asking Him to move in permanently! What was God's answer to this??? Verse 7:1 says, "When Solomon finished praying, fire came down from heaven....and the glory of the LORD filled the temple." Amen! I hope I never feel worthy enough to explain how God can do what He does. I pray I never feel that I can answer for Him.

We read about God's appearance to Solomon in the night, after that temple dedication, and how He made that wonderful promise that we still claim today, "If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." King Solomon went on to many wonderful things for the Lord and for His glory.

I was thinking....David didn't want the reason that his infant son died to be because he didn't ask for God to change His decision. Hezekiah didn't want the reason he died early (in his mind) to be because he didn't ask for an extension. Joshua didn't want the reason he lost the war to be because darkness fell and that he didn't ask for three more hours of daylight. And, I didn't want the reason Conner had to go through that surgery to be because we didn't ask for a miracle, either! We know God can do it, He's told us to ask. Whether we will, or whether He will is another story. But, since we can't possibly know the mind of God, shouldn't we err on the side of asking too much than not enough?

By the way, God did heal Conner's skin that day. The doctor pulled the bandages back that Monday morning and marveled at the little pink speckles of blood all through that snow white skin! You've never seen a Mama so glad to see blood in her life, I'm sure. So, go ahead and ask God for that miracle. He just might be waiting on you to ask....

8 comments:

  1. Words I needed to hear this morning Jaybrena...thank you for reminding us to believe in miracles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beauty of this blog is that often not only does it help us to understand the scriptures better but sometimes the individual things added to it helps somebody in their everyday life in ways we may never know. I well remember when Conner was burned and the trials and tribulations that they went through. I have had three members in my family that was burned bad enough it could of meant their life but God spared them. I wonder what kind of a man Conner will he grow up to be. Surely God has great plans for him. As you tell us to believe in miracles and not to be afraid to ask for them. God has performed many miracles in my life and now I am praying that he may touch a member of my family in such a way that His blessings will fall all over him. This post touched me to the point of tears. Thank you so much Jaybrena. It is amazing how God uses us to say just what somebody needs at the present time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful reminder that God does care about every detail in our lives and will answer prayers specifically. I also remember when Conner was burned and what a blessing it was when we heard that he was healed. As Beth Moore always reminds us in her Bible studies, if we are concerned about something in our lives, then God is also.

    If we but "ask Him" he will hear and answer. Thanks Jaybrena for a very moving blog today as well as a reminder that God hears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, friends. Like Pastor was saying Weds night....I will never understand the balance between God's sovereignty and the prayers of the saints. I'm just so glad He's in control. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just such an AWESOME testimony Jaybrena! Thank you for sharing that and how wonderfully you tied that into our reading for today! I am also SO THANKFUL that God did decide to heal little Conner! I just LOVE IT when God baffles doctors! I know that He was up there "grinning" when they removed that bandage that day and there was pink skin there. I can just hear Him saying, "Go ahead and take that bandage off and see what I have done BECAUSE YOU ASKED ME."!!!! I really do not thing we have any idea things we have missed out on because we simply did not ask...I needed to be reminded of that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaybrena, thank you for sharing that awesome story about Conner. What a wonderful reminder of how God wants us to communicate with Him. He is just waiting to show up! I love the "I was thinking…" part. It helps me to realize that it is okay to ask for "too much." God decides what is best for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jaybrena, thank you for sharing such a heart-felt and personal story of Conner. I know God listens and answers prayers.

    ReplyDelete