Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"Cautionary tales"

You get bonus points today if you can guess where my picture is from!

I've wrestled a little bit with this book. It's taken some prayer and time for me to crystalize in my mind what has really been bothering me. In the last few books we've been reading, we've seen a lot of God's specific commands to Israel. We were reading the "law" as it were. Now, here we are, back in storybook mode, and you've got to admit it's certainly exciting! I think Jerry Springer would have a lot to do to live up to some of the drama we've read so far. And what has bothered me is that SO MUCH of what we've read has been contrary to how God commanded the Israelites to live. We are seeing lived out in the words of these stories what happens when people, even people with good intentions, don't adhere to God's word. Or, worse yet, forget the God behind the law.
We see a couple of men who there apparently wasn't much to say about- except that one had thirty sons who rode on thirty donkeys. Wooohooo. The sum of this guys life came down to the fact that he had a donkey for each son. At your funeral do you want people sitting around going, "Gosh, I don't know what she really did with her life. But, hey! Each of her kids had their own car!" So- point number one.

Life lived apart from God leads to a life wasted on things that will not matter in the end.

Jephthah. A leader of a rag tag group of men, exiled from his family, who God used to defeat the Ammonites. I would like to be sure and point out however, that no where in the chapters does it tell us that God appointed him as leader. It specifically says the elders of Gilead sought out Jephthah, and requested he be their commander. Given that he had been exiled from his family, I can imagine it was a huge boost to his ego to have them begging him to come back as their leader. We see through the story that the spirit of the Lord did come on Jephthah, and that he showed exceptional leadership, strategy and bravery. He was obviously someone gifted for the position. We learn from Jephthah what happens when even gifted and brave, well-intentioned people try and serve God without a thorough knowledge of His law. Jephthah makes a rash, prideful vow to God that ends up costing him his daughter.
I had a hard time here, so I'm going to spend some time on this because I'm guessing you may have had a hard time with this as well. We have to look at what is NOT here as well as pay attention to what is. God did NOT tell Jephthah to make that vow. He didn't even ASK him to make that vow. It was completely unnecessary- and he would have known that if he had full knowledge of the law. He obviously remembered that God expects vows to be kept. What he missed was that God WANTED them to clear the land of the Ammonites, He had already commanded they be destroyed and driven out generations before. God would be completely behind his mission anyway, without a rash vow. Furthermore, God specifically forbade child sacrifice- or human sacrifice of any kind.
We live in a time when we (even in the church) exalt emotion, feeling, and things of the "Spirit." Many churches have made a name for themselves with wild emotional displays. There is a place for emotion in church- and many people worship different ways. God and I have certainly had our emotional times. I'm not downing emotion. What I am cautioning against is a walk with God based on feelings that has not been tempered with a healthy dose of good old fashioned education on the laws and nature of God. Remember that Jesus called the Holy Spirit our "teacher". He is there to help us better understand the things of God. And, let me tell you, knowing God will bring out your emotion. But even the best of intentions and passionate emotion will not excuse to God the lack of attention to His word and commands. It cost Jephthah dearly. Jesus said, "If you love me you will obey what I command."
Point number two:

We cannot rely on our own good intentions, abilities or emotions. It will end up costing us and our loved ones in the end. Following God demands obedience, which requires knowledge of what to obey.

We close our reading today with a few other men who were barely notable. Ibzan specifically broke God's law by giving his sons and daughters away to people outside their clan. That's all we know. All we know about Elon was how long he led, and where he's buried. Abdon had FORTY sons and thirty grandsons. Oh, and by the way, he had donkeys for each of them as well.

What we learn from all of these men, their successes and mistakes, is that humans are...human. Shocker, right?! All through out these stories I see one common mistake. The people of Israel are following a man. God wanted them to follow HIM. God used leaders- just like he had done with Moses and Joshua. But instead of recognizing the God behind the man, they just worshipped and followed the man himself. It's so easy to do, and we all have our "heros and heroines" of the faith. But when we put all our faith on those human shoulders, they can never hold up. I hope those heros point our hearts to the God they served, and don't stop at just serving the people serving God. If they do we are just setting ourselves up for disillusionment, faithlessness and a big let down. Furthermore, we might just be missing out on our own adventure with God. Which brings me to my third and final point:

God is the only one who will never let you down. Run hard after Him. He is the only thing that will make life worthwhile.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind."
Matthew 22:37




8 comments:

  1. Jeanette said....Natalie, I love your 3 point summaries! Great job! 1. Satan is very good at enticing us with "things" that seem necessary. We should be quick to pray & ask God even over our purchases.....2.It is so easy to rely on our GOD given abilities to acomplish His work & become prideful in the process, rather than giving God the glory......& 3.others can never meet all our needs...only God, who never forsakes us! Oh, may we all run after Him this day! Gotta find my tennis shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie - I'm still laughing at your 30 donkeys funeral point! Great post. I'm glad YOU had it and not me, because I did get bogged down with those judges. I thought that maybe Jephthah was a little like Robin Hood but certainly not a good father.

    Yes, we must run after God and not put our eyes on some leader, even in the church, because everyone but God can end up disappointing us. Like Jeanette, I'm putting on my tennis shoes now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was great! I've been a little behind so it's great to be caught up and back to reading the blog. You guys do a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie-Your posts are always relevant to everyday life even when the readings get difficult. Just this week I have been able to apply the book of Judges to my life. To be honest, people have disappointed me this week. Let me always run to God with everything. No situation is too big or small for Him. He cares about all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to that Angela!!! Angela and I have had LOTS of people disappoint both of us this week (people who claim to be Christians) and your post resonates greatly with us in that regard! I have also made the mistake in the past of expecting my husband to fulfill things in me that only JESUS can fulfill. Those times were not at all fair to my husband and were impossible for him to do!

    It also makes me so VERY sad to see lost people searching and searching and searching for something to fulfill them when ONLY God can fill that void...He put it there so that we would search after Him! This just breaks my heart and leads to some of the most destructive behavior humans can engage in! Thank you so much Jesus that you completely and totally FILL me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cautionary Tales is the perfect way to describe these chapters, I mean He warned them! I have been reading some of these chapters aloud to the children during afternoon chores......I skipped a bit today :) But, they got a kick out of the 30 donkeys!

    And the picture has to be from the Story of Thebes, something about Pilgrims? English Lit (or French/British, hahhaaa) was a longgggggg time ago, my friend ;-) Do tell!!! I feel like I'm trying to guess the bonus on a game show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHHHH!!! Canterbury Tales!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. And the bonus goes to Jaybrena!! :) Good job! Way to reach back to high school literature class....

    ReplyDelete