Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Impatient and Impulsive Decisions

Impatience
Sometimes the root cause of disobedience is impatience. Why wait? Go ahead, move along, which is exactly what Saul did. He was tall, impressive, handsome- BUT he was impatient. He couldn't wait the seven days for Samuel to come to Gilgal. So, he takes it upon himself to offer the sacrifices to God. Totally disobedient. This was the priest's job, the responsibility of the Levites. Because of Saul's disobedience, the kingship would be taken from him and given to a "man after God's own heart."
Bravery
Jonathan belongs in the category. He and his armor-bearer attacked a garrison of Philistine soldiers by themselves killing 20 men. Jonathan did not "see" the obstacles (or the army) he saw that his God could win whether "by many or by few." If the odds are against us, do we give up and give in? Flee the battle in terror or call for retreat? Do we fight to the finish for what we know is right, knowing our God goes before us? ("Greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world.")
Panic broke out among the Philistine army, then revolted and began fighting among themselves. Saul and the rest of the Israelites joined in the pursuit. "So the Lord rescued them that day."
Impulsive Decisions
When you make a decision or issue a policy, make sure that ALL your participants hear and understand what you are asking. Saul issues an order of "no food" (or perhaps that was meant as a call for fasting in order to receive God's blessing to win the battle). But, no on informed Jonathan. He ate honey and was "strengthened." All around him the other men were "faint" and too tired to fight. They resorted to eating "meat with blood" (raw?) that was against God's laws. The impulsive order given by Saul almost cost him his son's life.
When you are in the middle of a battle or conflict, remember to think through your options and decisions. Preempt all with prayer. Don't act hastily.
Well thought out plans, deliberate discussion and decisions covered by prayer, seeking God's will and direction, were what brought our new shepherd to Oak Hill.

*For those of you who pay attention to the author of the posts at the bottom, please know that I'm typing this out for Barbara, who's computer is sick! Thank you Barbara for being faithful, even in the face of computer issues!

8 comments:

  1. "The Lord sought for Himself a man after His own heart..." 13:14.......Saul's days were numbered, he had the nerve to try and "better" God's plan with his own ideas and motives. This stuck out to me this morning, as I committed this very thing myself, just yesterday!!! :( Lord, help me to recognize when I am obstinate while following Your lead....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chapter 13 verse 8 says: "Saul waited seven days, because Samuel had said he would meet him then. But Samuel did not come to Gilgal, and the soldiers began to leave." -- I think it was out of fear, not impatience, that Saul went ahead and made a sacrifice. The verse said that he was patient and he waited the seven days, but when Samuel didn't show up on time and the army started leaving, then he made the decision to go ahead and offer the sacrifice. I think he was afraid that Samuel wasn't coming and that his army would be defeated because God wouldn't be with him. But instead of seeking God and asking him what he should do, instead he impulsively out of fear made a decision that ultimately cost him his crown. We need to remember to be still and know that God is God and
    seek His will first before we act, especially when we are placed in a situation
    where fear is our first response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The times in my life I've gotten in the most trouble is when I made brash decisions, or became impatient. God has impressed on Aaron and I "our" verse- and it's one we've reminded ourselves with over and over: "Wait for the Lord. Be strong, and take heart, and wait for the Lord." Ps 27:14
    Waiting on God isn't always easy, but it is always worth it! May he give us the discernment to know when to follow him and act, like jonathan, or when we need to sit still and wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanette said.....Did anyone else see themselves mirrored in Saul's behavior?? How many times have we gotten weary in the waiting, or impatient, or took matters into our own hands to "help out God?" So often the impatient in me just thinks she has to "getter done" & so I blindly forge ahead. Oh,that I would learn thoroughly the lesson to slow down & to wait on God to show up in His timing with His answer. As I rely on Him & seek Him out before making decisions, I can be sure that He will bless me with His clear answer & direction. On my knees before Him is the best place I can be. Great post, Barbara. (Hope your computer gets well soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Natalie for posting my blog for me today. Talk about impatient! Boy have I been that waiting for my computer to be fixed. Sorry - guess I had to learn a lesson as well, huh?

    Nice to be back reading this weeks posts and they all were great. I'm so enjoying this journey together with you wonderful ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good to see you commenting Alyssa!!! And you made such a fantastic point about the fear in Saul as the motivator for his disobedience. Ms. Barbara I also reallya appreciated your point about making sure ALL of the participants know when you issue a policy, rule, or change. I am in a situation where communication is VERY poor and it seems like I am always "behind the 8 ball" because the leadership does not communicate important things well or in some cases not at all. As one of the "participants", it is VERY frustrating and discouraging to feel this way and to always feel as though you are in the "dark". I just adore Jonathan and his intense love for David! I am looking forward to reading their story of friendship again! Thanks for another wonderful post Ms. Barbara with amazing insights!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today's blog is so for me!!! Have I dealt with being impatient this week-yes!!!! At times, I want to just go in and fix the issues that need fixin' and deal with it myself. But God tells me "be patient and know that I am God". I see so much of my life being played out in 1 Samuel right now. Wow!!! God knows it all!!! As I am on spring break this week I want to spend my time diving more into God's word and drawing closer to Him. Thank you ladies for allowing me to be a part of such great Bible insights!!

    ReplyDelete