Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"Stuck in the middle with you..."


Random fact about Natalie number 575- sometimes, people will say a phrase that puts a song lyric in my head. They didn't have the song in mind when they said the phrase, it just triggers something in my brain and I spontaneously want to break out in song. Too bad my singing voice isn't so great. Today, in our reading, we are "stuck in the middle" with David.
David was stuck between being king and not being king. Then, he's stuck between ruling Judah and ruling the rest of Israel. He's stuck between two military leaders, Joab and Abner, and he's also stuck between multiple wives. David was obviously a man people were trying to pull in several different directions. I mean, can you imagine the cat fights between all those women? I can only imagine how competitive they were for David's attention! But, David is also stuck smack in the middle between Abraham and Jesus. The old and new covenants.
As we start 2 Samuel, we find David mourning the death of King Saul and his beloved friend Jonathan. Perhaps you made the same mistake as the "messenger" who brought David news of Saul's death, assuming the David would be rejoicing. After all, now he can assume his rightful place on the throne, right?
We are told David was a "man after God's own heart." I think in this scenario, we can see one reason why. David probably recognized what Saul could have been as a leader and mourned his wasted potential as much as his death. David did not look at Saul as a means to his end, but a man who was called by God and as such demanded his respect. He never chose to view Saul as his enemy, or as someone evil to be hated. He didn't let bitterness creep in.
Can we be that forgiving to those who have wronged us? Maybe what they did cost us dearly or caused a delay in something that we had been anticipating a long time. Maybe they let us down. David chose to remember the best about Saul. Can we learn to look for the positive in the people around us, even when they hurt us? God certainly chooses to look for the best in us, over and over again, even after we've let him down.
As the story continues, we see David become King over Judah. He reigned in Judah seven years before he was able to unite all the Israelites and become king over the whole nation. Just to put things in further perspective, it had been fifteen years since Samuel had anointed David as king. He had been stuck in the middle a long time! Often we have to wait for things. David did not become discontent or impatient, he trusted God's timing and was faithful to do his best with what God had already given him. He wan't focused on what he HAD but on what he needed to DO. Are we focused on what God wants us to do, or are we worried about what we have or don't have?
I am not a patient person by nature. Countless sewing, cross stitch and knitting projects have been left unfinished because they took "too long." God certainly has a sense of humor, because my life verse has become Psalm 27:14:

"Wait for the Lord. Be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."

Words from David himself. Beth Moore expounded on this concept at a simulcast I attended several years ago. She stated that the key is not waiting on the Lord to give me ________. Or for the Lord to make _______ happen. The key is waiting on the Lord himself. When we are focused on waiting on God to show up in our lives, we are never left waiting for long. He always arrives. Maybe not like we though He would, but he always arrives.
So..here's to being stuck in the middle! What do we do while we are here? Be obedient to what God is calling us to do today. Have faith in God's promises. Put one foot in front of the other in obedience in the small things. David did, and God used those small steps to shape a great hero. Wait for the Lord. Be strong, take heart, and wait for the Lord.

7 comments:

  1. Natalie - love the stuck in the middle theme for your post! How perfect! At this point in David's life, he amazes me. His Godly behavior is such a wonderful example for all of us to follow. FIFTEEN YEARS!!! That is a LONG time to wait!!! I know for one I would have been doing back flips when I heard that someone who was trying REALLY hard to kill me had died! I do know that the Lord is VERY interested in how we handle the process of where He wants us to be. I also LOVE the pictue Natalie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect picture Natalie, and I love your take on these chapters! Stuck in the middle indeed. But David never wavered, as more often than not I do. He waited on the Lord. Great comments and reminder that that is what we are called to do. Don't get ahead or behind - just wait until you hear what God is telling you to do. It always works out best!!

    How to love your enemies. Boy, did he ever have reason to rejoice at Saul's death after running from him for so many years. But he was faithful to God's anointed. What a lesson to learn. Hard though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stuck in the middle, indeed!!!! Timeless :) How I love your synopsis of the circumstances David finds himself in, that's perfect. We learn so much about David's character during this "lull" in his life. Thanks, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanette said.....Natalie, I love the way you pointed out that God chooses to look for the best in us over & over again, even when we let Him down! Can we do less? Food for thought the next time we start singing that 'ole "Somebody Done Done Somebody Wrong" song!! David is such a good example of one who rises above his circumstances & chooses to take the high road in dealing with situations when he was wronged .....just as God would have him to. Let's commit to looking for the good in others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie-Love the picture! This book shows David's patience and how he deals with the "down time." I feel the same as David at times. I want situations in my life to move faster than a snail's pace. But God says "wait, wait, wait."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natalie, I to loved that picture. That would be me at times. There are times when I don't want to wait upon the Lord, I want an answer and I want it now. I am guilty of saying to myself well he must of meant this (whatever, it is always slanted in my favor, what I want.) When it goes wrong, then I know I did not do God's will but Boot's will. May I learn to wait upon the Lord the first time. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David was clearly a strong man and leader who said what he meant and meant what he said! I believe he had what we today call a "Type A" personality. It must have been hard for him to be patient and he was SOOOOO gracious to Saul... he was smart to stay away from him at times, but so gracious to honor and respect him as God's annointed.

    I'm two days late in reading this, but it hit the spot. I needed to read these chapters and post today :)

    ReplyDelete