Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Man after God's own heart!

What a privilege is bestowed upon me, that I should be able to write about the Lord on the Lord's resurrection day.

As I read these chapters, I began to think, how does the Lord want this to be used for His honor on His resurrection day? Then I came to the last verse in Chapter 18, and David wept, "O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son!"

David being the man after God's own heart gives us insight into the heart of God the Father as he saw his own son die on the cross. Imagine as the only Holy Child of God took upon every vile sin that ever was or would be committed, having known no sin, and the agony as He took upon Himself the wickedness of others so that He could be a perfect sacrifice, and God the Father, turning His back to not look on the sin, caused all darkness to come across the land so that no one could see His most beloved precious Son suffer and die for us.

Tetellesti (it is finished) was His cry, and He paying the ultimate sacrifice for you and me, giving Himself in our place as the heart of the Father broke for His precious son, David's heart broke for his son as well, even after he had sinned so grievously in the sight of all the people, his father loved him anyway.

Just to think How precious and tender the heart of a loving Father that would weep and be broken over His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

1 John 3:1 Behold what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us that we should be called the sons of God....

As David wept over his son's death, our Heavenly Father wept over His Son's death. Yet He gave Him anyway, that we might be reconciled to Him. If today doesn't bring joy to your heart and flood your soul with the unmatched love of Christ something is drastically wrong.

As the songwriter H.G. Spafford wrote, "When peace like a river attendeth my way, when sorrows like sea billows roll, whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, it is well with my soul." These words were written at a time of great loss. His wife and daughters were traveling overseas and he stayed behind for business and was to join in a few days. He received a telegram from his wife, saying I alone have survived. At the point where his two daughters drown, he sat down and penned the words to It Is Well... I think he knew something of the love of our gracious loving kind Heavenly Father, who would give the greatest sacrifice the world has ever known, so that we could have the greatest life ever known.

To God be the glory, great things He hath done, so loved He the world that He gave us His Son who yielded His life an atonement for sin and opened the life gate that all may go in. Praise the Lord!

5 comments:

  1. Amen, Ms. Boots! I love how you compared David's grief over the death of his son to what God must have felt over the death of Jesus.

    During this time of uncertainty in David's life, we see him continue to do right (keeping Abishai from killing Shimei), trust God for Absalom's counselors to misguide him, and deeply mourn for his son who almost dethroned him and deceived him and most of Israel.

    Joab's ruthlessness and disobedience surprised me a bit. He obviously was protective of king David and his reign, but had no compassion for for opponents, even if they were family. He also did not appear to have much patience for those who were not as agressive against the opposition. We'll learn more about Joab, won't we? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms.Boots-The grief that God must have felt for his only son Jesus. To see Him hang on a cross for the ultimate sacrifice for our sins. I am in awe that God would give his own son to die for our sins. This is the only way to eternal life. As Easter Sunday draws to a close, let us reflect on our personal relationship with a risen King and Savior. Words cannot describe the way I feel about Jesus and what he did for me and all of us!! I praise God every day that I can wake up and worship and serve God freely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the parallel between David's anguish over his dead son Absalom and God's anguish over the death of Jesus. It is just so cool how all of this connects together isn't it? I for one am at a complete loss to put into words the joy, hope, and peace I have because of what Jesus has done for me and for all of us! Church at Oak Hill this morning was just fantastic! I just really appreciated Pastor Chris' sermon this morning and the making me aware of the attack on Christianity through the rejection of an actual bodily resurrection of Jesus. We are under attack and we need to be aware of what the current attacks are on our faith so that we can be ready to defend our faith.

    Unfortunately, David continues in these chapters to deal with the consequences of his sin. The "snowball" keeps getting bigger! Yet let us remember that God is with him and still loves him even through all this. And God still loves me too even through all of my sins as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a precious day that we have enjoyed today among friends and family, haven't we, Ms. Boots?! I can't help but think that David was blessed as well, even in his grief he had so much to be thankful for. We will learn more about David's Mighty Men, soon.

    I want to learn more about Ahithophel(16:23)!!! I'm not sure what it means exactly, but it sounds wonderful, "Now the advice of Ahithophel, which he gave in those days, was as if one had inquired at the oracle of God."

    WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jaybrena,

    Ahithophel means, "my brother is foolish"

    ReplyDelete