Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Friday, April 29, 2011

Hey, Solomon.....

Solomon is most famous for his wisdom, which certainly helped in his other famous claim...that of building the Temple of God. But, unless we claim to be wiser than Solomon, stronger than Samson, or more in love with God than David, we are wise to learn from their mistakes. Oh, don't get me wrong! We know that these men were all used greatly by God, and this man Solomon certainly showed wisdom just in asking for wisdom! Hmmmm, let's try that again....God asked Solomon what He should give him, and Solomon asked for an understanding heart. There we go, now God was very pleased with his unselfish answer, and granted him that and so much more....

The building of the Temple took years of work, actually seven, to be specific. (I love to see that number, by the way.) We could write for weeks on the Temple and all that it means! I imagine there were many decisions to be made, some big and some small, but all very important. King Solomon spared no expense, as his father, David, had provided well for the supplies needed in this great task. One thing stuck out to me more than anything else, though. As we are reading the details of the Temple....the who did it, the what materials, the where of the foundation, the when it was built, and the how stones were crafted (no tools, by the way...important info for later!).....then all of the sudden, God breaks in and gives a little reminder, one we've heard before. Hey Solomon, "Concerning this temple which you are building, if you walk in My statutes, execute My judgments, keep all My commandments and walk in them, then I will perform my word with you which I spoke to your father, David. And I will dwell among the children of Israel, and I will not forsake my people, Israel." Then, we go right back to building the temple....strange.

Remember how the Bible said it took seven years to build the Temple of the Lord God? Well next, Solomon started on his palace. I couldn't help but notice that it took almost twice that long to finish Solomon's own house. I wonder if this was an example of Solomon's misplaced priorities? Some of the very same building materials were used, yet it took so much longer, and they even got to use tools this time! I can't help but think of God's words, spoken to Solomon previously. In case you forgot those words: Hey Solomon, "Concerning this temple which you are building, if you walk in My statutes, execute My judgments, keep all My commandments and walk in them, then.....I will dwell among the children of Israel, and I will not forsake my people, Israel." King Solomon did many things well in his reign, but is God trying to say something here?

Considering that the Bible is a historical document, and that it is full of events specific in chronological time frames, those seem secondary to what I keep noticing overall. Though the author of this book of the Bible is not named, I notice a consistency in his perspective. Each person in these books are weighed morally.....the author seems to be concerned with measuring if this certain king followed the law given through Moses, rather how closely did he follow God's covenant? Now, what were those words again?? Oh yeah....Hey Solomon: "Concerning this temple which you are building, if you walk in My statutes, execute My judgments, keep all My commandments and walk in them, then I will...." You get the picture.

God makes Himself known to us in His word. The Bible is just a collection of things that happened in the world unless we keep the overall theme of the Book in mind. God created this world and everything in it, He desires a relationship with those He created, and so much so, that He continues to work in and through His people to accomplish His plan, rescuing us knowing we couldn't ever attain the qualifications to be with Him in all His holiness, if not for the blood sacrifice of a perfect Lamb. He loves us so much. He gave us so much. He even loved me long before I ever loved Him..... So I can't help but ask myself: Hey Jaybrena...

3 comments:

  1. Oh, the things we can learn from Solomon if we just pay attention to the Word. Jaybrena, once again you take verses and give an applicable view for our lives. What a true gift all you ladies have for teaching the word of God. Solomon is an interesting man in regards to all of his wisdom, stature, and actions. I know I keep saying it but "Solomon, Solomon, Solomon." God has given Solomon so much but...The picture is so clear!!! Wake up, Solomon. God continues to work in His mighty ways. I'm ready to read the next chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said this about David and Saul, but I also feel the same way about Solomon...every time I read through the story of their lives I just hope that they will not make the same mistakes and the story will turn out just fine. But of course, God's Word never changes!!! We can see small evidences of Solomon starting to "slip" in his actions and eventually doing the sin "snowball" thing like I talked about with David. However, we can learn A LOT from Solomon, including learning from his downfalls, because OF COURSE, we ALL have them, AMEN!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The temple is so rich..and like Jaybrena said, we could spend an entire month or more on its meanings. I think one of the reasons that God inserted his "reminder' to Solomon was so he would remember what the temple was for. To provide a place of worship for the Israelites so they could worship according to the law. To point them to the glory of God. It's easy to misplace our priorities on the created things, and not the creator. I can imagine, as the temple came together and began to look more and more beautiful that it would have been easy to say "Wow...look what I did! What a beautiful place! Kudos to me!" I also noticed that it took twice as long to build his palace than it did to build the temple. I'm so guilty of building up my own little "kingdom" in my own little world that I forget about God's kingdom sometimes. As Jaybrena so excellently put it..."Hey Natalie..."

    ReplyDelete