Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Cycle of the Judges Begins...



Last week I had the privilege of introducing us to the book of Joshua and this week I have that same privilege again by introducing us to the book of Judges. I looked at several of the introductions to this book in my MANY Study Bibles and I found that the one in the Bible I am reading through, called "The Legacy Bible" (NIV), had a fantastic introduction, so I am going to use it to help me with this introduction. I particularly like the way it opens up, so I am just going to directly quote that part to you: "The book of Judges teach us us a history lesson that should never be forgotten: When the people of a nation cannot see beyond their own desires, they pass on a legacy of lawlessness to the next generation. To highlight this truth, a specific phrase echoes throughout this book: 'Everyone did as he saw fit.' (Judges 21:25)" So here is the cycle that repeats itself over and over in this book:


Here is the REALLY wonderful part: God is faithful to His people and ALWAYS rescues them! And He does the EXACT same thing to US during our lives today! Why Lord???? We are SO unworthy! Yet, YOU are SO worthy! And amazingly, you LOVE US SO MUCH that you rescue us over and over and over, and you provided the ULTIMATE rescue through your Son! Amen and Amen!!!


The first two chapters of this book starts off the cycle with Israel fighting the remaining Canaanites, but failing to drive them out completely, which will cause all kinds of problems with "prostituting" themselves to the idols of these pagan peoples. Then in chapter 2, the "Angel of the Lord" appears and says, "Now therefore I tell you that I will not drive them out before you; they will be thorns in your sides and their gods will be a snare to you." (Judges 2: 3) As I have stated in previous posts and/or comments, I believe this to be a preincarnate Christ and He appears over and over throughout the Old Testament. Then we move into the part of the cycle of disobedience and defeat. Chapter 2 verses 18 and 19 states the cycle that is shown in the picture above. This map shows where the location is in the Promised Land of each of the twelve judges that were raised up. It is a little hard to read, but I think it is cool to have a visual of the location of where each of these judges did God's work.


So, the question is, are you in a negative or sinful cycle in YOUR life? Do you need for God and God alone to break this cycle in your life? He did it for the whole country of Israel and He can do it for YOU! He is GOD and He can do ANYTHING!!!!


5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful introduction Mindy! Another book down, and so much more knowledge stored under our "belts". I'm looking forward to the adventures that await. We all have sins we have to struggle against and fight to drive out. I pray we'll turn to the God who desires to help us drive them them out, and not look to our own desires/plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post, Mindy! These chapters in Judges convey that God continues to be with us in times that may be difficult. He never leaves or forsakes us. How comforting to know. As always, I look forward to reading through another book of the Bible. As we continue to read we see many life lessons. How rewarding!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I look at the cycle diagram, I think how refective that is of my life and my walk with God. I too pray that I will one day learn to look past my own desires and be obedient to God... even today!

    And what a challenge in these passages to teach our children (the next generation) to know God and to be obedient!?!?!? How will they know if we don't teach theme? Priscilla Shirer also talked about the importance of leaving a spiritual legacy as she was closing the conference on Saturday. So much more important that anything physical we can leave behind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice title image! Don't forget to credit the source.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice title image! Don't forget to credit the source.

    ReplyDelete