Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Witnesses.

In my years as a nurse, I've had the blessing of seeing people live our their faith in dark hours. It never fails to realign my perspective and encourage my heart. There was the spunky 90 year old lady who just had surgery (and was doing better than many people half her age) who asked me if I knew Jesus. Another 97 year old lady (Yes, I said 97) who was dealing with the chronic illness of her husband of 70 plus years, also asked me if I knew Jesus. When I told her that I did, she proceed to talk to me about her faith, and pressed further asking, "So if you died tonight, you know that you would go to heaven?" I assured her I was confident of my salvation, and she smiled and called me her "little sister in Christ." She said, "Satan must rue the day I found Jesus, because I haven't been able to stop talking about Him since." I smile just thinking about her- and pray for her too because her husband has since passed away. Then there is the 40 something father and husband who, as he watches his previously healthy wife on life support, tells me that, "I worry about her, and I want to be here with her. If I could fix her, I would. But it's in God's hands. I know- no matter what- it's in His hands." It brings tears to my eyes. Every one of those blessed souls I come across leaves a mark on my heart. They are living by faith.

It's the same faith we read about today in Hebrews. Hebrews 11 has been called the "faith hall-of -fame." There certainly are some great heroes of the faith in there, starting with Abel, Noah, Abraham, Moses and the prophets. God certainly did big things with their faith- I'm not diminishing it in any way. They are men worthy of the title "hero." But the same faith that lead Moses to tell Pharaoh to "let my people go," and Noah to build the Ark, and Abraham to be willing to sacrifice Isaac is the same faith that leads my patients to trust God with their loved ones. What do they have faith in? I'm sure there is a deep, complicated, theological answer to this- but I like what Hebrews 11:6 says:

"believe that He [God] exists, and rewards those who seek Him."

Do you believe that? It seems so simple, but it really is at the heart of our faith. First of all, do you believe that God exists? And then, do you believe that He rewards you for following and pursuing a life with Him? Do you believe that life is better with God- no matter what it costs you- than without Him?

Most of us would say that we do. I do. But I have to wonder- do I really live that faith out in my day to day decisions? Do I choose obedience when it's hard because I know God has something better in store for me, or do I take the path of least resistance and choose what I think is best for me? Hmmm...

The author here tells us what a life of faith looks like.
*Do not take the Lord's discipline lightly.
*Endure suffering
*Pursue peace with everyone.
*Avoid immorality.
*Let brotherly love continue- show hospitality.
*Remember those who are rejected- prisoners, widows, orphans
*Respect marriage.
*Be free of the love of money.
*Remember your leaders.
*Study to keep yourself from being led astray by false teaching.

It's a long list right? Therefore, since we have such a large cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily ensnares us. Let us run with endurance the race that lies before us, keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that lay before Him endured a cross and despised the shame and has sat down at the right hand of God's throne. Hebrews 12:1-2 HCSB.
I couldn't put it any better or plainer than that.

It's a new year ladies. Everyone is making resolutions. Amy talked to us yesterday about how God has given us a New Law and a New Covenant. He is the God who makes all things new. There is something so refreshing about a new start, a new beginning. It's a new leg of the race. This past year, reading through the Bible with all of you, was certainly a race- and I know without a shadow of a doubt I wouldn't have endured without all of you "witnesses" cheering me on. As we come to the end of this leg of our race, I pray we will keep on laying aside weights and snares and keep running with endurance- because we know He is worth running after. I know this, He is worth more to me today than He was a year ago.

My most recent encounter with a patient involved her telling me of losing her mother just a few short months ago. She battled cancer, and her family recounted of how even up until her last days- terribly sick and in pain- she remained joyful, and stated often "God's in control. He has a plan." She passed into the next life with a smile on her face- she finished her race well, believing in God, and that He would reward her for seeking Him. We are all surrounded by witnesses- some we encourage, some who encourage us, some we never actually meet but are ministered to by their story. We persevere and endure not just for ourselves, but for them as well. Just as they did for us.

A Christian prisoner in Cuba was asked to sign a statement
containing charges against fellow Christians
that would lead to their arrest. He said:
"The chain keeps me from signing this."
The Communist officer protested, "But you are not in chains!"
"I am," said the Christian.
"I am bound by the chain of witnesses
who throughout the centuries gave their lives for Jesus Christ.
I am a link in this chain.
I will not break it."

from
"Jesus Freaks"



4 comments:

  1. Natalie, you have brought up some great questions to ask ourselves in making a new start. It IS refreshing to make a new beginning. I loved the list of what a life of faith looks like and the stories you shared. I am so very thankful for taking this challenge to read the Bible as well. Thank you to all the ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie - what an absolutely AMAZING post you shared with us today!!! My answer to your paragragh of questions is a resounding YES!!! Some absolutely key questions for us all to consider. The stories of faith that you shared with us from your job could all be included in chapter 11 of Hebrews. What incredible faith! I also love your quote from the "Jesus Freaks" book...may people see me as the craziest Jesus Freak ever!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such heartwarming stories and what great faith these people had. I have often been told that your true faith shows in your darkest hours and when you are by yourself. These people showed how strong and great was their faith. My prayer is that my faith will remain strong even till the end of my life here on earth. As we start a new year, let's look back at the old. This blog has made me stronger in the word as I am sure it has with all of you. Great post, Natalie and how fitting for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly a heart warming and wonderful post today Natalie. I love your stories. I hope that if I'm every sick and in ICU I can have a wonderful nurse like you at my bedside!

    I too love the beginning of a New Year. It's fresh and exciting. Put old things away and a new start. Thanks to all of you ladies, I have learned a lot in this past year that I pray will be in my heart the rest of my days. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete