Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Friday, January 6, 2012

Dear Friends...


Have you ever wanted to invent a "slap" button on your computer? Tell me I'm not the only one in the world who gets "those" emails...or "those" phone calls....or "those" comments. Have you ever entertained thoughts of moving to Australia or possibly checking into how much it would cost to move someone else there? Have you ever heard/read words that make your pulse race, your throat clench, or your neck develop a rash??? Would I seem less "spiritual" to you if I admitted that I have actually experienced these thoughts?

What do we do with these things? We can chalk these thoughts up to just having a bad day, or even blame the other person's poor judgement. Or, we can be honest with ourselves. The truth is, we are responsible for how we respond. There is a difference in a "reaction" and a "reply". As we read the first letter from Peter this morning, I can't help but recall where he came from. He was one of the first disciples chosen, he was in the inner circle of three closest to Christ, he saw the transfiguration, his name was changed by Christ Himself. Yet, he also denied three times, the Christ he proclaimed just a day earlier. Peter was a passionate man. He reacted quickly in the boat when he saw Christ on the water. He was full of emotion! I wonder if he often put his foot in his mouth? I also wonder if, like me, he wished he hadn't opened his mouth at all, sometimes! Quite frankly, I'm thankful for the new invention of texting. You can actually have a conversation, and think before you speak! A simple change of wording can make all the difference. What if we thought more before we spoke in face-to-face conversations as well?

Peter says that, "it is God's will that by doing good we silence the talk of foolish people." Do you think that he often struggled to do the right thing? Of course he did! And, so do I! He knew the value of a testimony. He knew full-well the dishonor that comes from a scarred reputation. That's why I think his is such a powerful life to study. Who better than a broken man to tell me of my Healer? Who better than a man who failed his test, to tell me of his testimony? Who better than a man who made a mess, to share his message? His trial became his triumph, when this victim became a victor!

That's why I pay close attention when Peter says, "Dear Friends, I urge you as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits us." We are often more concerned with wrongs of others, than our own. We need to work on our response!

My little sister used to try and tell on our brother when she was wronged. The trouble is that her report was a little skewed: "Mama, he hit me back!!!" (Just as information, I was often cast in the role of judge, as the oldest sibling growing up in our family .....my quest for justice began at an early age, but I was rarely blameless! hahahhaaa!) Have you ever thought about how you sound when telling on the brothers and sisters in Christ who are around you? I wonder if our report sounds skewed to the Father? I have a feeling he knows all that we are guilty of, as well. I am very thankful He sees us through the eyes of grace and mercy.

Forgive others today. Practice more grace. We need each other.

5 comments:

  1. "when He was reviled, He did not revile in return; when He was suffering, He did not threaten but entrusted Himself to the One who judges justly."
    I was both comforted and challenged by those words today. Only God's word can do that. Great post jaybrena!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh at your comment about your sister's "He hit me back" I can just hear your mom asking, "and what did you to him?" her reply, of course, would be "nothing" I have heard it from my kids and I know that I used it myself many times. Are we now like kids as we see mistakes in others and not in ourself. I would have to plead guilty. Thanks for the great post, Jaybrena, it makes us take a second look at what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaybrena - LOVE your heartfelt post as usual!!! Peter has ALWAYS been one of my favorite New Testament characters because he is just SO real and made so many mistakes and that just gives me some hope...you know what I mean? And then Jesus uses this very same man to start His church...how hopeful is that? 1 Peter 5:8 is one of my favorite verses because it gives us the reason for the utmost importance of studying apologetics. I just adore Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to say 1 Peter 3:15! It is hard getting old!!! ;(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful insight on 1 Peter!! So very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete