Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Monday, January 2, 2012

Anchor for the Soul


One of my favorite things about reading the Bible this year has been to find new phrases for me that are "hidden gems" packed with so much meaning.  I think my most favorite (for now) is when Job told God, "You have worn me out" (Job 16:7).  I love the honesty of Job when he's speaking to God and he is TIRED.  Another one is from Genesis 1:14 where we learn that God created the sun and moon as "signs to mark the seasons and days and years".  Such detail and purpose in God's creation!  Hebrews 6:19 provides yet another.  Our hope in God's salvation through Christ is an "anchor for the soul".  I've heard this term before, but honestly have never really thought about what it means in the context of the hope we have in Jesus Christ.

Hebrews is packed with theology, promises, and encouragement for believers.  The author of the book is not specifically identified, but current day theologians believe it was written by Apollos or Barnabas.  Both were Jewish Christians and associates of Paul.  The letter was written primarily to Jewish converts in the early church who may have been tempted to return to old, familiar ways in which they had been raised and taught.  Not so different from us today, right?  We may also have learned behaviors, beliefs, or theology that are not correct or are pulling us away from God.

Throughout Hebrews, passages from the Old Testament are used by the author as Christ is shown to be superior to the ancient prophets, to angels, to Moses (the mediator of the former covenant) and to Aaron and the priestly succession descended from him (NIV Study Notes).  The author was using scripture that the Jewish followers would have known.  He was showing them that throughout their history, God had been telling them of the savior, His Son, who is higher than any other being.  The savior had come and is Jesus Christ!  He is the "high priest forever" (Heb 6:20) and the true mediator to God.

Some people would describe an anchor has heavy, rusty, chained, burdensome.  However, in the context of this anchor of hope, we have comfort, security, and steadfast promises.  Christ is our only hope of salvation. Jesus has been where we are, tempted in the trials of every day life.  He can relate to what we are going through and has compassion for us.  Through his perfect human life and death on earth, he became the perfect sacrifice and atonement for our sins.  Certainly worthy of our hope, faith, and praise!

I found this song on youtube.  I hope it will encourage your heart today as you listen to the words from Hebrews.

Anchored
My soul is anchored to heaven’s holy veil
For Christ, the Great High Priest
Died in my stead
Hold fast!
God’s promise will never fail
We are His for Christ’s risen from the dead

No man or angel can keep me from Him
My hope in Heaven is steadfast and firm
Though trials and suffering come
Death cannot win
So we live in light of our great king’s return

In faith my ransom soul will ne’er depart
From Christ my Savior who freed me from sin
Rejoice this confidence is sealed in our hearts
By the spirit who empowers us from within

O wait with patience now all those who long
To join their Savior in heaven's endless days
A glorious time and all join their song
In one loud voice may Jesus Christ be praised

Chorus:
Your steadfast love
Will lead us through the tempest
Grace and strength are ours
Your faithfulness
Will see us through the storm
And give us hope to carry on

3 comments:

  1. Loved your post today Terry. I like the phrase "hidden gems" you used! I sometimes catch phrases when reading the Word like that - and they stick with me for a long time. I'm looking forward to studying Hebrews in the next few weeks.

    I love the "anchor" analogy and one of my favorite songs is the old one called "The Anchor Holds." Through the storms of life that is all we have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your post Terry and also the song. I have never heard that one before. Barbara, I like the song, "The Anchor Holds" also. I thought of that song as soon as I saw Terry's post. That is one of the beauties of doing this. You get a blessing from the post and another blessing remember something in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry - LOVE the anchor analogy! Thinking of Jesus as my Anchor has always given me peace, strength and encouragement. It gives me a picture of safety as storms are ranging around me. I also liked your "hidden gems" comment. I have found those many, many times through five times of reading through the bible. Thanks for another GREAT post Terry!!!

    ReplyDelete