Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Sunday, January 8, 2012

WHAT IS RIGHT??????

As I started to study this book, I found it filled with controversy. So I began checking some of it out. First, there is some controversy over who wrote 1John. Some scholars believe the same person wrote the Gospel of John as well as 1,2, and 3 John. While others believe the Gospel of John and 1 John was written by the same person but one or two other authors could have written 2 and 3 John. The argument for it being John the Apostle is:
1. Writer claims to be an eyewitness to Jesus.
2. He speaks with an air of authority.
3. The writings similarities seem to be the same.
Secondly, there is controversy over 1 John 5:7. There are those that believe that this verse was added to the KJV after it was written. The newer translations leave it out. The older versions, also, do not have it. Judge for yourself as I give you these three different versions.
NIV For there are three that testify;
RSV And the Spirit is the witness because the Spirit is the Truth.
KJV For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father,
the Word, and the Holy Ghost; and these three are one.

Now. lets get down to the "meat" of the Chapter. John writes in 1 John 1:4 his reason for writing, "and these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full." In several verses he calls them, "My little children" which would indicate that they are new Christians. He gives them some basic instructions for being a Christian.
1. God is light.
2. We walk in the light.
3. The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin.
4. We all are sinners.
5. If we confess our sins, we will be forgiven.
6. Love not the world or the things therein.
He also warns them of antichrist which is whomever does not teach of Jesus. There are preachers out there now who do not preach the gospel. DO NOT let them deceive you. We must guard against false teachers. Today, more than ever we need to watch because they are out there trying to lead you away from God. That is why we need to be grounded in the Word.We must guard against Bibles who change words and change meanings Revelation 22:29 clearly states what will happen to those who do.
"And if any man shall take away from the words of the Book
of this prophesy, God shall take away his part out of the
book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things
which are written in this book."

We are nearing to a close of our blog. I hope seven new people will take this on and that we all will continue to study the Word. Which Bible is the best? That you will need to decide for yourself. Pray that God will give you the answer and will guide you in your studies.

I feel the need to add to this. There are many different kinds of Bibles out there and not all of them are the same. Some are very wrong in that they leave out very important parts. For instance, one Bible leaves out the blood. We know that without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness and our faith is in vain. I was told that the NIV leaves out 64,000 words. My personal preference is the King James Version. I have heard people say that they choose another Bible over the KJV because it is hard to read. May I suggest that in reading the Bible. you pray for God to guide you and give you understanding of His Word.

7 comments:

  1. Ms. Boots, I have had some of the same questions and concerns you talk about in this post. My prayer is that God will reveal truth to me in everything I study seeking Him. I pray that I would not be one of those that is talked about in 2 Timothy 4:3-4.
    "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boots - I liked how you listed the "basic instructions" for being a Christian from John's letter. Over the years I have used different translations, but have settled (for now) on the Amplified Bible. Still, if I try to memorize anything, I always go back to the King James! For some reason, it is easier to remember - I guess because that is what I grew up on.

    Great post, Mrs. Boots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 John is such a wonderful book affirming our faith! It has brought me much comfort and peace. I am so thankful for the life and ministry of John. Some of my favorite reminders about the love of God are found in this book! "Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!" Indeed, "by this we know His love, that He layed down His life for us."
    Oh, Praise Him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some powerful and wise words today Ms. Boots! I was not aware of the controversy over who wrote 1, 2, and 3 John. I have heard the NIV referred to as the "Nearly Inspired Version" and you are right, we DO have to be VERY careful about what version of the Bible we read. I was "raised" on the NIV Bible as a teenager coming up through a private Christian school and all of the verses I had to memorize where out of this version of the Bible, so that version is what is familiar and comfortable to me. I am, however, willing to accept that it may not be the most accurate version out there. Recently, I have really fallen in love with the Holman Christian version of the Bible. I have had a lot of VERY respectful people recommend this version to me. Thanks for a lot of things to think about Ms. Boots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, Love love and love. I hear that over and over again in these verses. It isn't easy is it??? It's interesting you wrote about the different translations. I was raised on the NIV, and I must say, because of that, I love it. :) The verses in that language are familiar and dear. Recently, I have also come to truly love the Holman Christian Standard. It's very accurate. I'm only going to offer one "warning"- and that is, beware of "transliterations" not "translations." Transliterations translate entire phrases or paragraphs or ideas at a time verses the words or sentences themselves. Examples include the Living Bible and The Message. They aren't necessarily bad- but should not be read as your only source of study. I have a Message myself and enjoy reading out of it at times- some verses from this book in particular I love from the New Living Translation:
    "Such love as no fear because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of judgement, and this shows that his love has not been perfected in us. We love each other as a result of His loving us first."
    1 John 4:18-19

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS- did anyone else have DC Talk's "In the Light" running through their head today?! I love when songs use scripture for lyrics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really appreciate all the comments about why you use the Bible that you use. I don't believe when I was growing up they had all the different versions, there was just the KJV and all pastors and all the SS teachers used it. When we learned to recite a verse, we all learned it the same way. The KJV has stood the test of time and I will continue to use it. We need to be very careful what we are reading.

    ReplyDelete