Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Peter...you just gotta love him!


Jaybrena did a GREAT job of introducing us to the first letter Peter wrote and reminded us about some key things about Peter from his time with Jesus.  She also reminded us that Peter was such a "open mouth, insert foot" kind of guy.  Peter just makes me chuckle so many times throughout the New Testament!  And there is SO much we can learn from him!  Here are some key quotes from The Legacy Bible:
"The counsel that Peter gave to the first-century believers (and to us) rings with hope...We don't have to imitate Peter's struggles; we have plenty of our own.  But his example of faith, love and hope is worth imitating."
"The second letter addressed a different problem:  false teachers and the effects of their teaching on Christians.  Peter knew that the survival of these churches was threatened more by internal decay than by external pressures...Peter's second letter warned of several errors and called for Christians to evaluate the truth of the teaching they heard...Two thousand years later, false teachers still abound and the church is still not safe from their influence.  But with God's strength and Peter's wise guidance forever in the Scriptures, we will always know where to turn for 'everything we need for life and godliness.' (2 Peter 1:3)"
We at Oak Hill have seen the devastating effects of the power that Satan can do to a church through "internal decay".  As with ALL of Scripture, the words of Peter are still just as relevant to the church today as they were 2,000 years ago.

There are a couple of things I want to point out from this book that I think are profound:

  • In Chapter 1, Peter gives us an important progression for our spiritual maturity starting in verse 5.  We are to start with faith and then add goodness, then add knowledge, then add self-control, then add perseverance, then add godliness, then add brotherly kindness, and finally add LOVE.  This is a VERY important "recipe" for spiritual growth and one that we could possibly miss if we are not careful.  Peter tells us that if we possess these qualities in INCREASING MEASURE, they will keep us from being ineffective and unproductive in our spiritual lives.  This seems to be VERY important doesn't it?  So we need to apply this "recipe" to our lives!

  • I also love the way Peter makes it abundantly clear in Chapter 1 verses 16 and 18 that he WAS THERE and WITNESSED all of the things he was teaching about concerning Jesus.  This is HUGE because almost all writings that are considered to be TRUE and CLASSIC writings were written hundreds of years AFTER the events occurred and those who were writing these things were NOT witnesses of what they were writing about.  This lends INCREDIBLE validity to the Scriptures!

  • Peter also address the fact that God does not keep time as we keep time in Chapter 3 verses 8 and 9.  To me this can be somewhat discouraging because I do not know about you, but I am READY for Jesus to return.  He is so much more merciful and patient than I am because I want Him to just come on, but HE wishes that ALL would believe in Him and so He tarries and has not come yet.  This means there is STILL time!  We can still do our part to lead people to the Lord!  We need to be busy doing our Father's business!

  • I also have to chuckle at the comment Peter makes toward the end of Chapter 3 in verse 16 as he addresses the fact that Paul's writings are difficult to understand...BUT they are important.  I have thought this same thing in my mind many times as we have read through Paul's letters!  I just love the fact that Peter is just honest enough to come right out and say it.

I can hardly believe that we have just over a week left in this journey together.  Next Saturday will be my last post.  My life has been forever changed from meeting with the Lord everyday in His Word and I pray that you feel the same way about your life!  Let's keep Peter's final command in mind as we close our time reading what Peter says to us in the Scripture:

"But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  To him be glory both now and forever!  Amen."
                                            ~2 Peter 3:18
Let's keep growing in Him my brothers and sisters in Christ!



3 comments:

  1. Loved your post Mindy. The last part, 1 Peter 3:18 was so right and perfect for this time in each of our lives. I have found that I have grown by staying in the Word as I am sure everybody else has also. I hope to continue reading and studying the Bible so I can learn even more. As we go into our last week may I say you all have been a joy to be to read your blogs and to share our thoughts with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Mindy. Your pictures too! I loved the first chapter and the way you called it the "recipe for spiritual growth." I certainly want to be effective and productive in my spiritual life.

    How has this year flown by so quickly? I can't believe either that we are on the downward path this week. I will miss this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy, great post as always !! Peter brings so much to the table here! The things you mentioned also stuck with me - faith to goodness , knowledge ...On to love.

    ReplyDelete