Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Thursday, September 1, 2011

You Are the Potter, I Am the Clay

In Jeremiah 18:1 the Lord tells Jeremiah to go down to the potter's house . . . Have you ever seen a person making pottery, watched the wheel go round and round, heard the whirring sound, seen confident hands shape and mold a wet, smelly piece of clay, and been amazed or astonished at the finished sight?


Now to hear a word from the Lord, I would have expected God to tell Jeremiah to go to the temple, or in our day and time, to go to a church, or to pick a quiet place and listen to some beautiful piece of music, or watch a sunset, or at least pick up a Bible and read His word carefully. But no - go down to the potter's house was the command. Jeremiah goes out to hear from the Lord. It seems he's not in a familiar place.


I think the Lord does that with us at times - send us out into the world, or at least out into an unexpected place to hear from Him. Perhaps the out for you is different from my out. Maybe it is different for each of us as we strive to serve the Lord and hear a word from Him. It could be at our place of work, or while shopping in a store. Perhaps while on a Mission Trip, working in the nursery, or singing in the choir. But God works in us in unusual places and at unexpected "turns" (pardon the pun with the pottery wheel!).


But what happens if the clay He is working with is "marred"? Does He throw it away or put it down and grab another piece of clay? No, He reshapes it into a vessel that He can use. We've all be marred - by sin, by disobedience, by being obstinate, by life. But He doesn't cast us aside does He? He works in us with that everlasting love that he has for us. He restores us and makes us into something He can use for his kingdom. Perhaps He makes you into a new vessel - something you never imagined you could be. Perhaps He uses you in some service in a unique way that you never dreamed possible. Perhaps He removes the rough edges and shapes you into a completely different piece by experiences in your life that He allows to happen. But in His hands, he will mold and make you into a vessel fit for His use if you trust him and are willing to put yourself into His hands. Let's give it a try.


Have thine own way, Lord,


Have thine own way.


Thou art the Potter, I am the clay.


Mold me and make me After thy will,


While I am waiting, yielded and still.




After watching the pottery being made, God tells Jeremiah to buy a jar and take it with him, along with some of the priests and civil leaders, and to go to the Valley of Ben Hinnon. There Jeremiah is to throw the jar down and break it into pieces - signifying the Lord's judgment against Jerusalem for their idolatry and the evil practices of child sacrifice (Holman's Bible Handbook).


Jeremiah was imprisoned and beaten. He was depressed, angry, confused and cried out his complaints to God, cursing the day he was born. Yet even in all of this, the "weeping prophet" will continue to obey his Lord and be used as His vessel. Good example for us.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Mrs. Barbara! I love this example of how we are like clay. "But what happens if the clay He is working with is "marred"? Does He throw it away or put it down and grab another piece of clay? No, He reshapes it into a vessel that HE can use." - this says it all. Thank you Lord for not giving up on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The message of the Potter and the clay have always been so powerful to me, Mrs. Barbara! I have seen this only a few times in life, but many times in my own heart.

    Chapter 20 just broke my heart this morning.....in verse 9 to be exact. Because Jeremiah had such an unpopular message to give the people, he was daily threatened and persecuted. He decided in his heart to never speak of HIM again! "But His word was in my heart like a burning fire shut up in my bones; I was weary of holding it back and I could not." Isn't that amazing?!?!?! Oh, Lord, forgive me for the times I kept my mouth shut!!!!! Strengthen me for your service, may I give the message You have laid on my heart even when it is unpopular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also started humming that hymn today! I loved you point about going "out". I've seen in my own life that sometimes God needs to get me somewhere unfamiliar to hear his voice best. Im much more alert to His presence there for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a fabulous post Mrs. Barbara! AndI just love your pictures too! I have to agree completely with Natalie. I really liked your point about going "out". What God can do through us during those times! I am SO thankful that God keeps reshaping me into a vessel He can use and does not just crush me back into an ugly lump of clay and move on to another one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms.Barbara-I,too like the message of the potter and the clay. I am so glad I am not the Potter. I need to be reshaped and reformed each day by God. I am glad He is the one running the show and not me! I give my selfish ways to Him to reshape and remold into something beautiful. He keeps refining me for His good and glory! Praise The Lord for a patient God.

    ReplyDelete