Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Messages Against Foreign Nations


Have you sometimes snickered or been smug at another's misfortune? Who wants to admit to that one?? Not a wise thing to do. Was it caused by anger, hatred, jealousy or PRIDE? Let's not joy over others' misfortunes because sometimes we just might end up seeing something worse happen in our lives.


In Chapters 25-27, Ezekiel is given another prophecy by the Lord. Five nations that surround Judah would not escape God's judgment - from north to south, they would fall. All of these nations were "happy" over the coming destruction of Judah.

Reminder: And what was it God said in Gen. 12:3? That those who cursed Israel would be cursed and those who blessed Israel would be blessed. So, here we go - and it's not a pretty picture:

God's judgment against Ammon - because they rejoiced over the Temple's destruction . . .

God's judgment against Moab - because they scorned Israel as a special people . . .


God's judgment against Edom - because they displayed a "vengeful spirit" . . .


God's judgment against Philistia - because they had been an enemy of God's people for centuries . . . (Remember David and Goliath?)

What does Proverbs 17:5 say?


. . . he who is glad at calamity will not go unpunished

And God's judgment against Tyre was because of PRIDE.




I thought the chapters describing Tyre were most interesting. Tyre and Sidon were ancient cities founded long before the Israelites entered the land of Canaan. They were on the Mediterranean coast, north of Israel. Tyre had huge wealth and defenses. It was a large commercial center of sea trade. When David built his palace, he used cedars brought by ship from that area. When the Temple was built in Jerusalem, Solomon depended on materials and craftsmen from Tyre. They were also known for their chief export of royal purple dye. In Chapter 27, which is like a "funeral lament," Tyre was described as a beautiful ship, with oars of oak, decks of pine, sails of embroidered linen from Egypt, with skilled rowers and pilots. It was "perfect" or at least they thought so. But - this ship sank.

What does Proverbs 6:16-17 say . . . a proud look (the spirit that makes one overestimate himself and underestimate others) - The Amplified Bible - is one of the things that God hates. America has just observed an anniversary that we will never forget - September 11th - we thought we would never be "attacked," yet almost 3,000 people lost their lives in that terrible event. We need to guard ourselves against pride and thinking we are "better" than anyone else.



www.ChristArt.com

Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall. Prov. 16:18






5 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the question I heard once: "How would you rate your level of humility on a scale of 1-10?" :)

    I find that just when I'm patting myself on the back for spotting pride in my life early.....I am convicted that even THAT is pride. :( And, I stop patting just in time to see the next area of sin, and the next, and the next... Finding a way to say Thank YOU to HIM is key, after all it's by HIS allowance that I even take my next breath!!! You did a wonderful job with this point concerning Israel, Mrs. Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful post. Makes me question what I put my security and pride in...it should be nothing other than God himself. I loved the verses you pointed out about not rejoicing in another calamity...that can be hard not to do, especially when a person has wronged you and you feel they have gotten their "just desserts". I'm reminded that I certainly am not perfect, and I thank God that he forgives so much and doesn't give me half of what I deserve. I should be hoping others find that same healing grace and mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Barbara. As I was reading about the nations being destroyed for going against Israel, I was thinking about this week hearing so much about whether or not the UN would allow Palestine to become a state. They want Israel to cease to exist and many other middle east countries want the same. How many countries will be destroyed for going against them and will the US become one. Is history doomed to repeat itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mrs. Barbara for your terrific post. This reminds of this past Tuesday morning Bible study when Beth Moore was discussing "self" righteous indignation. She asked if we had been disciplined by God for something we thought we were totally right for. We may have had the Bible to back us up and everything but the problem comes when we are doing it for ourSELF and not Him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this post Ms. Barbara! I am dealing (AGAIN) with a HORRIBLE problem of pride by someone in my life and I just cannot believe that I find myself here again! It really never ceases to amaze me the destruction and pain that pride causes. God seems to have this "thing" of using me to help flush out pride in people in the workplace. And I say that with the most humility because I DO NOT want to be in this position! I just pray that God finds me worthy of this task and that I do it for His glory and in a Christlike manner. I also love your pictures Ms. Barbara!!!

    ReplyDelete