Welcome to a group of women who's goal is to encourage each other to put down some serious roots in the Word of God. This blog is dedicated to reading through the Bible in a year. Hopefully you will find the encouragement and accountability here that you need to push through the tough parts- or when life just gets in the way. The reading plan is located at the bottom of the blog. It contains links to the passages we are reading through biblegateway.com. You can use those links or read your own Bible, whichever you prefer.
We are all members of Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin, Georgia and felt the need in our own life for a little bit of the Lord's splendor. Please join us!!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Let Us Return to the Lord!

The people of Judah had chosen their own way after many warnings. Here they are in the middle of their consequences (again). They did not believe that those terrible things would really happen to them. God knew they would get to this place. He knew they would not turn to him before they were defeated. Yet He never stopped caring for them. He still had an ultimate plan of salvation.

In every Christian’s life there is a moment just before salvation that they realize that they truly and desperately need a savior. It is a place of brokenness about the life they lead. The saddest thing is when we as Christians choose to return to those old flesh habits and sinful desires. We know better! We have the knowledge of the awesome Savior but choose our selfish ways.

“Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the LORD” 3:40

I am not sure who to give credit to for this quote but it is a good one.
“Sin will always take you farther than you wanted to go, keep you longer than you wanted to stay, and cost you more than you intended to pay.”

I believe the people of Judah would agree with this statement. These chapters describe horrible things that happened to them because of their rebellion against the Lord. It was even the spiritual leaders that lead them into sin. We must be very careful to seek the ways of Almighty God through his word. There is NO substitute!

6 comments:

  1. "We know better." Knowledge is a powerful thing. Understanding....even more so. Blessed is he who seeks wisdom and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jaybrena-"knowledge is a powerful thing." Sometimes I will hear my students in class say "...well, I didn't know..." I redirect and try to make things as clear and concise as possible. If we listen to God through His word and prayer I feel He does the same for us-simple and clear. Pray and heed to His words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have certainly experienced your quote on "sin taking you farther than you want to go. . ." in my life many times I'm sorry to say. And as you said, we do "know better"! I'm so thankful for God's forgiveness and grace!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so very sad and frustrating when we as Christians fall back into our "old ways". I have done this more times than I care to recall. As I have matured spiritually, I have found myself doing this less and less, but I know this greatly grieves the Lord nonetheless. Great thoughts to focus on Amy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "let us examine our ways and test them"...I've heard before that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. If that's true, I should have been in the looney bin along time ago. Let us return to the Lord. He alone holds the strength and wisdom to break our old habits. Great post Amy, as always! I am so grateful to all of you for sharing your hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, thanks for focusing on the verse "let us examine our ways and test them". I believe we are constantly to be evaluating our lives through prayer and the word. I have to admit that the busyness of my life often gets in the way of this. I'm compelled by you all (and Chris' sermons on prayer) to be more diligent in this area. I'm so thankful for all of you for helping to sharpen me :)

    ReplyDelete